Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ugh!
Unregistered 11:18 AM 03-11-2020
Daycare child has been mildly ill low grade fever cough and runny nose. Convinced mom to take her in to be seen. Got a txt saying no fever doctor said to give Benadryl and cough and runny nose will go away eventually. No shit? Had no idea that eventually it would go away. In the mean time continue to cough and snot all over everything and everyone. Doc gave note to return today but we well see you tomorrow. Ugh!

I can't get people to keep their sick kids home as it is how would you ever do it if the had corona virus?
LittleExplorers 11:20 AM 03-11-2020
Tell them they are not welcome to return and the doctor doesn't make the say, you do. A fever today means no care tomorrow.
Blackcat31 11:33 AM 03-11-2020
Given the current health situation, I’d exclude until cough and runny nose is gone.

It’s not about getting parents to keep their sick kids home. It’s about providers not allowing them (the kids) to stay.
Sunshine69 01:31 PM 03-11-2020
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Daycare child has been mildly ill low grade fever cough and runny nose. Convinced mom to take her in to be seen. Got a txt saying no fever doctor said to give Benadryl and cough and runny nose will go away eventually. No shit? Had no idea that eventually it would go away. In the mean time continue to cough and snot all over everything and everyone. Doc gave note to return today but we well see you tomorrow. Ugh!

I can't get people to keep their sick kids home as it is how would you ever do it if the had corona virus?
You can bet the child won’t have a fever tomorrow. That is, until the fever reduced wears off right around lunch time.

I had a daycare child with the the same earlier this week. A runny nose “from teething” that caused a cough. 🙄

Now I have a cough. Darn that middle-aged teething!
CeriBear 04:20 AM 03-12-2020
I once had a kid with a sore throat, cough, runny nose, and a 100.9 temperature and the parent saying it was just allergies. I’ve suffered from severe seasonal allergies for as long as I can remember but allergies do NOT cause a fever of nearly 101. Turns out child had influenza A.
LittleExplorers 06:55 AM 03-12-2020
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

It’s not about getting parents to keep their sick kids home. It’s about providers not allowing them (the kids) to stay.

Yes! They will only do what we allow them to do.
Blackcat31 06:57 AM 03-12-2020
Originally Posted by CeridwenLynne:
I once had a kid with a sore throat, cough, runny nose, and a 100.9 temperature and the parent saying it was just allergies. I’ve suffered from severe seasonal allergies for as long as I can remember but allergies do NOT cause a fever of nearly 101. Turns out child had influenza A.
We are required by licensing to have a plan of action in place for any child with allergies so that excuse simply doesn't work here unless the child actually does have allergies. In which case, I would already be aware of it.

Self-diagnosis from a parent isn't acceptable here.
Jamieface 07:13 PM 03-14-2020
That basically takes the burden for the sickness off the parent and puts it on you because now you are in a position to have to say, "you can't come here today", which is a lot harder to do than just not to come in the first place.

The current situation with the corona virus just makes what was already difficult, even harder.
CeriBear 06:26 AM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
We are required by licensing to have a plan of action in place for any child with allergies so that excuse simply doesn't work here unless the child actually does have allergies. In which case, I would already be aware of it.

Self-diagnosis from a parent isn't acceptable here.
This child does have allergies. He sniffles and coughs a lot especially during the spring and fall and mild asthma. All of this is listed on his health form. In the post you are referring to this child wasn’t acting himself and so I took his temperature and it was 100.9. Our center requires that a child with a temperature of 100 or higher not attend so the parent was called. Mom says it was just his allergies flaring up but that she would pick up as soon as she could. The next morning we get a call that kids temperature was 103 and that he had influenza A. What makes me upset in this situation is that his temp was 100.9 less than 2 hours after arrival. Mom probably knew he was sick and yet sent him anyway. I was thankful that neither me or any other co-worker or child got sick.
Our center is going to lower the fever threshold to 99.5.
Blackcat31 06:58 AM 03-16-2020
Originally Posted by CeridwenLynne:
This child does have allergies. He sniffles and coughs a lot especially during the spring and fall and mild asthma. All of this is listed on his health form. In the post you are referring to this child wasn’t acting himself and so I took his temperature and it was 100.9. Our center requires that a child with a temperature of 100 or higher not attend so the parent was called. Mom says it was just his allergies flaring up but that she would pick up as soon as she could. The next morning we get a call that kids temperature was 103 and that he had influenza A. What makes me upset in this situation is that his temp was 100.9 less than 2 hours after arrival. Mom probably knew he was sick and yet sent him anyway. I was thankful that neither me or any other co-worker or child got sick.
Our center is going to lower the fever threshold to 99.5.
Allergies do not cause fevers.

Also seasonal allergies are excludable for me per my policies but other allergies require medical diagnosis and a specific detailed plan of action that usually includes exclusion when the allergies are acting up or at risk.

However with your DCK, having a fever (for ANY reason) would exclude him.
Tags:enforcing policies - consistency
Reply Up