Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do You Stay Positive On The Job?
Auntie 06:37 AM 07-27-2011
I know we all can have a negative Nelly kind of day. But when you find yourself really being negative how do get yourself out of that slump?

How do you stay happy when the parent you dread comes to drop off their child?

Do you compliment each child when they arrive?

If you were dropping your child off what are some things you would like to see the provider say or do for you or your child at a center?
laundrymom 07:03 AM 07-27-2011
I turn on Miss X. I greet every family every day. Happily, cheerfully and positively. I say things like,: hey sweetie, hello super q, what's kickin chicken, howdy doody, hey there mr big boy unders, I have nicknames for my kids, I say ,... How's my doodle doing!? , hey butterfly!, double dub, high five big guy! , miss dimples, give me some snuggles!!, s dub where's my happy girl?!, oh now there's a sweet looking sister!, holy cow, did my Ro grow? Boy your big enough for a job!!,

A lot of times I say, ok now kick mom or dad out, they aren't cool enough for miss X's house! Off to work you go!!

I treat my families like family. I greet them just like I do my family.
CheekyChick 08:47 AM 07-27-2011
We all have days that we don't feel like being "on," but I always give a huge smile to the family and child. I say things like:

How's my sweet boy (or girl) doing?
I love your t-shirt, shoes, dress (whatever) - you look so beautiful/handsome.
Where's your beautiful smiley face? (if they are sad)
How is my baby doing this morning?
Can I have a "huggy"? (that's what we call hugs)

Sometimes just seeing the little ones will get me out of a slump. If not, just focus on the weekend and how you can relax and rejuvinate. Sometimes a nice long weekend is all that's needed to get out of a slump.
daycare 09:19 AM 07-27-2011
just like in all jobs there are times that we have to fake it until we make it....lol

If I get into a funk, I will stop what we are doing and change the scene. Take all the kids to the park and get outside to soak up some good fresh air. Sometimes I will just tell the kids we are reading stories now, so stop what you are doing. Reading a feel goos story puts everyone in a good mood

remember that the kids feed off of you, so if you are having a mood, they may read into that and repeat the behavior back to you.

I have a boy that has severe ADHD and sometimes he gets me in a bad mood. It's not fair to the other kids to have to suffer my bad mood, so I do all that I can to change it quickly....

FOr me going outside and chaning the scene works best...
Michael 10:24 AM 07-27-2011
Originally Posted by Auntie:
I know we all can have a negative Nelly kind of day. But when you find yourself really being negative how do get yourself out of that slump?
First read the Positive Thread: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...=12375&page=16

Then follow up with a portion of the Funny Thread: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27663

Sugar Magnolia 11:37 AM 07-27-2011
Originally Posted by Auntie:
*I remember how AWFUL it was to be a restaurant manager!

How do you stay happy when the parent you dread comes to drop off their child?
*I am still struggling with this one myself. Fake it. Grin and bear it.

Do you compliment each child when they arrive?
* A positive greeting can make a childs whole day better. It shows you care. I usually start with a comment about how nice they look today and a hi-5.

If you were dropping your child off what are some things you would like to see the provider say or do for you or your child at a center?
* SINCERITY! I would want to get the feeling you love your job!
Are you a center provider also?
Auntie 01:34 PM 07-27-2011
Yes I work in a center.

Love that read the postive thread then the funny one.
Tags:overwhelmed
Reply Up