Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Need A Clear Response For This...
Crazy8 08:55 AM 10-03-2011
I am getting a lot of inquiries lately for part time care -actually some of it is more like semi-steady drop in care. I do not do drop in care and I do not do part day care - I find drop ins are hard because they are not used to daycare and part day care is just too distruptive to our day. I do take part timers but only as contracted for 2+ full days a week.

I am looking for a way to say this that parents can understand. I usually try to explain contracted care to them and end up with this response, LOL! So how would you tell people in simple terms if you offer what I explained above??
Blackcat31 08:58 AM 10-03-2011
Why not say you offer care with a minuimum of 2 days a week and with weekly attendance required?
christinaskids 08:59 AM 10-03-2011
I have a lot of part timers and what i do is charge them 75% of my weekly rate for 30 or less hours a week. Its kind of nice because sometimes they only come for 15 hours a week. It works out ok for me.
godiva83 09:02 AM 10-03-2011
I think you explained yourself in this post- why not just say that?
Or state,
At this time I am not offering 'drop in care,' Drop in care, meaning no contracted hours/days and come as you please. This type of care proves to be very disruptive to our day here at ______.
However, I am accepting P/T clients. P/T l, meaning your child is in my care for 6hours + a day and atleast 2 days a week.
daycare 09:13 AM 10-03-2011
Yes, exactly what you stated. Tell them that.

I'm sorry, but I don't offer a schedule less than two days a week and only offer full day service.

If they ask why

Then you say:

In my past experience when i did allow for children to come less than two days a week, the child never adjusted to the DC or to the DCgroup. Often these children would spend more time crying here than they would acutally enjoy their time. There is nothing worse for a child than the fear of NOT knowing. Having such an inconsistent schedule would always have the child wondering what is going to happen next, leaving them feeling insecure.

What I can do for you is offer you a 3 day a week sch. and you are welcome to use the hours as you wish, as long as they are not disruptive to our group schedule. Like no pick up during nap time or late drop off. Also, I only charge for full day care.

Hope this helps some..
Crazy8 09:23 AM 10-03-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Why not say you offer care with a minuimum of 2 days a week and with weekly attendance required?
you would think it would be that simple but then they think they can pick whatever days they want each week, etc. I thought I was explaining it pretty clearly but people just continue to look at me like "huh?" so I thought maybe it was me. I think maybe it's them.
Blackcat31 11:56 AM 10-03-2011
Originally Posted by LittleDiamonds:
you would think it would be that simple but then they think they can pick whatever days they want each week, etc. I thought I was explaining it pretty clearly but people just continue to look at me like "huh?" so I thought maybe it was me. I think maybe it's them.
It's them.

I would explain it this way:

"I offer care with a 2 day minimum attendance required. These days need to be set days. Weekly attendance is required. If you want to attend on varying days of the week the rate is $ (insert your full time weekly rate here)."

That should clear it up. If it doesn't just charge them an "inconvenience fee" for having to clarify your rate policies with them so many times. (don't you wish you could sometimes?! LOL! )
AmandasFCC 01:25 PM 10-03-2011
Thing is, I'm seeing almost daily posts on parents' blogs and magazines on FB about ways to save money. The top way is "Avoid daycare, try to minimize time spent in daycare" ....

I get that daycare is an expense, but on one side we see people encouraging grandparents to pick up the slack, and then on the other side we're seeing people complaining that there isn't enough daycare available.

Well what can we do??? We can't pay our bills on "drop in care", and yet that's what everyone seems to want these days. And then they pull their kids when they aren't adjusting to the routine well ... well, duh!
Crazy8 03:52 PM 10-03-2011
Originally Posted by AmandasFCC:
Thing is, I'm seeing almost daily posts on parents' blogs and magazines on FB about ways to save money. The top way is "Avoid daycare, try to minimize time spent in daycare" ....

I get that daycare is an expense, but on one side we see people encouraging grandparents to pick up the slack, and then on the other side we're seeing people complaining that there isn't enough daycare available.

Well what can we do??? We can't pay our bills on "drop in care", and yet that's what everyone seems to want these days. And then they pull their kids when they aren't adjusting to the routine well ... well, duh!
I have always offered part time care (full set days)and was surprised when I came here and saw so many only take f/t or charge a full weekly rate no matter how many days they come. I get saving money, and maybe having grandma do 1-2 days a week, BUT if you are coming to me 3-4 days a week those need to be set days every week, and you pay for them whether you come or not. I can then work with other part time clients and fill the days in between. I don't even mind having a day with only 3 kids instead of 5. I actually still make more money that way because my per day rate ends up being higher than for my full timers.
Christian Mother 06:01 PM 10-03-2011
When I advertise I make sure it's clearly stated I am only excepting F/T children at this time. All P/T and drop in care slots are filled.

However; that does not stop them from calling about part time care.
I normally will talk to them a bit about my type of care and ask questions about the family and then go into what type of needs they may have and if they ask for a couple days a wk I tell them that I am very sorry but I have only one full time slot open at this time however; if they'd like to occupy that slot they would need to pay for the full wk of daycare regardless of whether they are in care or not. So far no takers on that scenario lol!!

For me, I have 1 f/t (5 days), 2 almost f/t (4-5 days) and 1 p/t (1 days) and 1 drop in. I get a schedule 2 wks in advance and let the part time and drop in care know what days are open to them for the week. I will only take 4 children a day and it seems to work out great. I always stay in ratio if not under and always make about $335-360 a wk. I'm a happy camper.
cheerfuldom 06:07 AM 10-04-2011
I think the point is that they don't understand it because it doesn't work for them. Nothing you say is going to enlighten them about how this scenario is hard on a provider. Just keep saying "I do not provide that service. Here is what I do provide...." and don't feel you have to justify your choices. Explanations seem like an invitation for negotiating to some parents.
Tags:drop in care, part time care
Reply Up