Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Two 14 Month Olds HATE Going Outside
JennyBear 10:16 AM 01-03-2012
I live in Ontario, so we have lots of cold weather and snow right now. I have two 14 month olds that absolutely hate going outside. Neither of them walk yet and when going outside all they do is sit in the snow and cry. I have toys, shovels, balls, slides, etc out there for them and continue to encourage them to crawl around and play with us, or with something. They both don't like being bundled up in their snowsuits, and just want to be held (or better yet...go inside!). When I pick them up they stop crying (about 90% of the time) but I can't keep picking them up and carrying them around.
I will even sit right beside them and play in the snow or with a toy and encourage them to play with me. I've even tried ignoring this behavior and that doesn't seem to matter. I can't stand to listen to them cry forever, and I'm sure my neighbours and other dck's would agree! This is so annoying and making me dread outside time. Any suggestions/ideas?
Thanks
Ariana 10:20 AM 01-03-2012
Oh gosh my own daughter was like this last year. She was just learning to walk and would fall down a lot and cry. When we went for walks she wanted to be picked up all the time etc. It was brutal!! The only time she was content was being pulled on the sled so that's what I did nearly every day. She eventually started to like going outside
Heidi 10:22 AM 01-03-2012
Mine were doing that when it first turned cold too (I'm in WI). They would just cry and cry...ugghh!

I changed to going out after (afternoon) nap vs. in the morning, and I used socks (from my 11yo) instead of mittens. THey hated the mittens and pulled them off, then cried because their hands were cold. The socks go up the their armpits, and are under their coats, so they can't get them off. Not really waterproof, but at least they are warm for a while.

How about putting them in a stroller for part of outside time? Or some other sort of seat to get them off the ground and watching the other kids? Mine have gotten better since they can walk, but crawling around on the cold ground the one really hated. I know it's not ideal as far as excercise, but they are still breathing in "fresh air", which you might actually have up der in Canada...
cheerfuldom 10:29 AM 01-03-2012
Do they cried to be picked up when they are inside too?
godiva83 10:38 AM 01-03-2012
I am also in Ontario and brrr it is cold!
I have one DCB who is almost 2 who just gives me a hard time with everything and can scream like nobodies business... When outside he starts his show! I put him in the wagon at least he is off the cold ground, not getting wet and really I know has no reason to scream- at first I would cut outside time short but that's not fair for all my other kiddies so he needs to learn to suck it up.

I like the sleigh idea if you have older ones they can have fun pulling them around. Or the wagon at least they are up from all fours on the cold snow
JennyBear 10:42 AM 01-03-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
Do they cried to be picked up when they are inside too?
No, only when outside. The one cries a little and wants to be held a bit when he is teething but it's become rare as he is getting older.
JennyBear 10:45 AM 01-03-2012
I've tried sitting them in a sled or wagon, or even in an empty kiddy pool with some toys to play with and it helped a little sometimes so I'm going to continue to try this.
Unregistered 11:30 AM 01-03-2012
If I have little ones that young, i always put them in the big double stroller (with huge wheels for snowy weather) or a sled and just push/pull them around the yard..I've never found that when they are that little that they enjoy being down on the ground...I am planning to get one of those wooden double sleds this year too...we don't have much snow yet so I haven't ordered it...the stroller with the big wheels does a good enough job right now..
Lianne 01:38 PM 01-03-2012
I'm in Ontario and it felt like -20C with the windchill today so we did not go out. Last winter I bought an old exersaucer really cheap and I pull it out when I have little ones who can't walk well in snow gear. It usually keeps them entertained for 20mins or so. I pull/push them around in a stroller, wagon or sled for 15mins and I can usually distract them with balls or shovels for 10mins or so. By that point, *I'm* ready to go inside! I just invested in a quad stroller and we go for a lot of walks in the winter, sometimes just around the block if it's really cold out.
Meyou 01:50 PM 01-03-2012
I usually put them on the cleared deck, in the wagon with some toys or on the driveway. I find if the ground is clear they do better. But overall it's not a fun age outside in the cold. Those dumb snowsuits are not designed for movement by little legs.
mac60 04:07 PM 01-03-2012
Thankfully I am not forced to take little ones that young out. That is rediculous. I am sure if I told my parents I was taking their 14 mo olds out in the dead of winter they would not be happy. Until a child can enjoy the snow and winter weather I don't think a young child should be forced to go outside.
Live and Learn 07:35 PM 01-03-2012
Originally Posted by mac60:
Thankfully I am not forced to take little ones that young out. That is rediculous. I am sure if I told my parents I was taking their 14 mo olds out in the dead of winter they would not be happy. Until a child can enjoy the snow and winter weather I don't think a young child should be forced to go outside.
I agree! They are probably miserably cold and uncomfortable.
laundrymom 07:43 PM 01-03-2012
I hate it but we don't go out in cold winter either. I have 10 kids and only 4 over 3. It's just not fun. I feel happy children are learning more than crying children. We just bring snow inside.
Meyou 04:14 AM 01-04-2012
I don't think 15-30 minutes in safe but cold temperatures wearing proper clothing is a huge hardship for toddlers. This is just a particularly cranky age IMO when it comes to winter play. They don't like the snowsuit or the feeling of being restrained (by the snowsuit) rather than the weather.

At least this is my experience. I take my crew out every day all winter even if it's just for short walks or to play in the garage with the door partially shut. The 12-18 month old range almost always hate the first snow days every year. They normally come around but if they don't I keep them as happy as possible in the stroller or wagon so the rest of the kids get some fresh air.
LittleD 04:50 AM 01-04-2012
It's really tough when they can'd walk. They are swaddled and uncomfortable. Stoller is the best idea (or wagon) especially if you can recline the seat some so their stomachs and chests aren't compressed by snow suits.

Even when they start walking, walking and staying upright in snowsuits is a challenge!
Limit outside time with the toddlers, but keep it up. Eventually they WILL get used to it. Every toddler I have had over the years have, even if it isn't until the end of the season!
countrymom 05:20 AM 01-04-2012
I'm in ontario and I don't take the kids out, I hate winter to begin with, but I have little ones, that don't walk, so there is no way I'm taking them out to sit and cry. Now when I did have older ones then we did go out, but I think its torture to dress those little ones and all they do is cry.
Blackcat31 06:46 AM 01-04-2012
Fresh air (especially in the winter months) is so important!

I have taken note of the years I used to stay inside because it was easier compared to the last few years when we have gone outside in the dead of winter (even if for only 10-15 minutes) and I rarely have a child who is sick now.

Every once in awhile we get a mild cold or runny nose but for the most part, everyone is pretty healthy.

I have 3 dck's who have all been with me since birth that have not missed one single day of daycare due to illness. They are not from the same families either and all are over 3 yrs of age. I think the fresh air plays a big role in this.
greenhouse 10:55 AM 01-04-2012
I was coming here to post the very same problem- but mine is a walker. My own 2 year old would run outside bare naked in the middle of winter, he just loves to be outside 24/7 and nothing bothers him. 16mo DCB screams and cries from the second we get out. It's about 40 out, not too bad and they are bundled up warm. We had to come back inside after about 10min because the screaming was so loud, I couldn't take it. Then my son throws a tantrum because we are inside. . Outside time is a great part of our day, I've been looking forward to playing in the snow and going sledding. What to do??
wdmmom 10:58 AM 01-04-2012
Do you have a sled, wagon or stroller that you can put them in. What about a driveway that you can put them in the stroller and walk around with them?

We go outside when it's 40 degrees or warmer. That'll be tomorrow and Friday here in Iowa! Woohoo! We're gonna be a walking!
PitterPatter 11:35 AM 01-04-2012
ITA!!

I have parents that tell me they do not want their kids outside because they will get an ear infection!
JennyBear 11:58 AM 01-04-2012
I have the perfect solution.... I'll Move South and the DCK's and I can bask in the sunlight under the palm trees!!! A girl can dream, can't she?

I tried keeping the one (the other isn't here today) in the sled today. She was content for most of the time, and pouted a little here and there (then I would just pull her around). I guess I just feel bad b/c the poor thing doesn't do much outside and it almost does seem cruel to force them to be outside even though they don't like it much right now...but I do think that the fresh air is great for all of the kids! and ME! I'm pretty sure they will learn to like our winter weather (or at least tolerate it)...all in good time I guess.
JennyBear 12:03 PM 01-04-2012
Originally Posted by greenhouse:
I was coming here to post the very same problem- but mine is a walker. My own 2 year old would run outside bare naked in the middle of winter, he just loves to be outside 24/7 and nothing bothers him. 16mo DCB screams and cries from the second we get out. It's about 40 out, not too bad and they are bundled up warm. We had to come back inside after about 10min because the screaming was so loud, I couldn't take it. Then my son throws a tantrum because we are inside. . Outside time is a great part of our day, I've been looking forward to playing in the snow and going sledding. What to do??
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. When the littles are miserable and I cut outside time short my daughter (2 yrs) and another dcg (3yrs) freak out and they don't want to go in. Half of my parents expect their children to get outside each day to get fresh air and to "wear them out". The other 1/2 of the parents I don't think really care. I guess your damned if you do and damned if you don't
LittleD 12:55 PM 01-04-2012
We are required by law to take them out over the age of 16mths. (weather permitting)
Hunni Bee 03:03 PM 01-04-2012
I agree. If I had to sit in the snow, I'd probably cry too. But then again, I hate snow and cold weather.

I dont fool around with extreme temperatures. In VA, snow IS extreme. I have too many kids with asthma, plus someone always arrives without necessary clothing, like a coat or socks. Why would anyone send a kid out in 18 degree weather with no socks??
Tags:cold weather, outside play winter, weather policy
Reply Up