Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>free play
Sdcp16 05:25 AM 11-12-2013
I'm wondering how much free play you all allow? Do you allow the kids access to all your toys? Do you give them certain things to play with throughout the day? I've been doing daycare for over 14 years but feel like allowing them access to all toys all day causes a lot of chaos. I am feeling like I need a more strict schedule and maybe allowing only certain toys at certain times. Would love your ideas/input!
sally 05:31 AM 11-12-2013
I allow free play but only allow 2 or 3 totes of different toys down at a time. When they are done with those toys we put them away on the shelf and I will get a couple different totes down. I mostly have 1yrs 2 yrs and 3yrs during the day and they are not really into structured play too much yet
Sdcp16 05:36 AM 11-12-2013
I'm thinking they have access to too much here! I have clear stackable drawers with cars/trucks/trains, dress up clothes, kitchen stuff, blocks all in these drawers, separated. They wind up taking everything out....one huge mess and then no one wants to clean. I'm thinking maybe I need to do bins up on shelves and only allow them one or two at a time.
coolconfidentme 05:37 AM 11-12-2013
I'm finding kids are getting bored really quick with whatever you put out & want to move to the next think in only a few minutes. With this in mind, I only put out a few toys. When they say they are bored I take a line form Blackcat & say, "Only boring people are bored." I then tell them to just sit there & watch the others, we aren't done playing. After a few minutes they usually are right back playing.
Blackcat31 06:07 AM 11-12-2013
Originally Posted by coolconfidentme:
I'm finding kids are getting bored really quick with whatever you put out & want to move to the next think in only a few minutes. With this in mind, I only put out a few toys. When they say they are bored I take a line form Blackcat & say, "Only boring people are bored." I then tell them to just sit there & watch the others, we aren't done playing. After a few minutes they usually are right back playing.
It IS true! LOL!

As far as free play goes here, I pretty much allow the kids to do what they want WITH some parameters.

We do small units of free play continually throughout the day.

In the morning, I put out 4 activities. The children choose which activity they want to join/participate in. I allow no more than 3-4 max children per group. These activities are things like block play, doll-kitchen area, book area etc.

Morning small group lasts about an hour. The children are not allowed to switch groups. If they are done playing, they can sit quietly until it is time to move on to the next activity.

We pause, clean up and have snack, potty breaks and diaper changes.

We then go outside for anywhere from 30-60 minutes.

Then we move onto two large group activities. The children again choose which activity they want to do.

These activities include art/crafts, science, music and/or cooking. (depends on what we are currently doing-working on)

When the large group activity is over, it is lunch time.

Once we are though our lunch, teeth brushing, story time and then rest time, it is time for more small group. (I try to rotate so that only some of the same activities are out to choose from)

Then we do afternoon snack time, potty and diaper breaks.

Then it is outside time again. Depending on the whether.

If there is more time in the day, we will go inside and have book time, music and/or dance time.

So yes I do free play but it's organized free play.

The kids have to stay in their groups (helps teach making choices and following through) and because they aren't allowed to move onto something else, they learn to be deeply engaged and play knowing they aren't going to be interrupted or asked to stop minutes into the activity

The only thing I do is put out appropriate toys, activities and items that pique their interests, keep them moving toward the next developmental steps and match whatever topics or ideas we are working on at that time.
littlemissmuffet 07:17 AM 11-12-2013
I have free play pretty much the entire day (outside of meal times, nap time, story time, circle time, arts/crafts and outdoor play).

My kids have access to all toys at all times. They need to put away the current toys they are playing with before getting out new toys. Right now I have a 15 month old and 2 2 year olds. They do great!
LaLa1923 07:37 AM 11-12-2013
My new group consists of two's and under.

We have free most of the day but I keep a small amount of toys out. I rotate them as needed.
I will try and get some pictures up of my play areas.
LaLa1923 07:40 AM 11-12-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
It IS true! LOL!

As far as free play goes here, I pretty much allow the kids to do what they want WITH some parameters.

We do small units of free play continually throughout the day.

In the morning, I put out 4 activities. The children choose which activity they want to join/participate in. I allow no more than 3-4 max children per group. These activities are things like block play, doll-kitchen area, book area etc.

Morning small group lasts about an hour. The children are not allowed to switch groups. If they are done playing, they can sit quietly until it is time to move on to the next activity.

We pause, clean up and have snack, potty breaks and diaper changes.

We then go outside for anywhere from 30-60 minutes.

Then we move onto two large group activities. The children again choose which activity they want to do.

These activities include art/crafts, science, music and/or cooking. (depends on what we are currently doing-working on)

When the large group activity is over, it is lunch time.

Once we are though our lunch, teeth brushing, story time and then rest time, it is time for more small group. (I try to rotate so that only some of the same activities are out to choose from)

Then we do afternoon snack time, potty and diaper breaks.

Then it is outside time again. Depending on the whether.

If there is more time in the day, we will go inside and have book time, music and/or dance time.

So yes I do free play but it's organized free play.

The kids have to stay in their groups (helps teach making choices and following through) and because they aren't allowed to move onto something else, they learn to be deeply engaged and play knowing they aren't going to be interrupted or asked to stop minutes into the activity

The only thing I do is put out appropriate toys, activities and items that pique their interests, keep them moving toward the next developmental steps and match whatever topics or ideas we are working on at that time.
Would you do this with a group if two's and under? I'm always looking for new ways of doing things. I have 5-6 kiddos so they all need shoes one and coats...etc Sometimes I feel like it takes us 30 minutes to get out the door....
daycare 07:43 AM 11-12-2013
I learned from my teacher that kids need at least one hour of free play that is not instructed and lead by an adult. She told me that it takes children about 45 minutes to REALLY get into play.

I have stations that are always set up like blocks, dramatic play, library, cars, doll-house etc. Then I have ones that I set up. My space is not very large for each center, so I can only have 2-3 kids in each station.

IF children can NOT get along while in their station of their choice, they go to the library until they can calm down and then will be asked if they would like to find a new station.
Play Care 07:45 AM 11-12-2013
Originally Posted by Sdcp16:
I'm wondering how much free play you all allow? Do you allow the kids access to all your toys? Do you give them certain things to play with throughout the day? I've been doing daycare for over 14 years but feel like allowing them access to all toys all day causes a lot of chaos. I am feeling like I need a more strict schedule and maybe allowing only certain toys at certain times. Would love your ideas/input!
The only time I allow true "free play" is when I can be right with them. When I am making a meal, changing diapers, setting up an activity, etc. They are "put up" with a specific "assignment" until I can be right with them. With my wild group this is what works. Plus it minimizes the "but I just turned my back for ONE second!"
issues that can crop up

Nine years in and I'm still working out kinks and making changes depending on my group.
daycare 07:47 AM 11-12-2013
Originally Posted by LaLa1923:
Would you do this with a group if two's and under? I'm always looking for new ways of doing things. I have 5-6 kiddos so they all need shoes one and coats...etc Sometimes I feel like it takes us 30 minutes to get out the door....
with my under twos I really take that time to mold them and show them how I expect them to play when they are here.

I teach them tons of vocabulary. LIke this is a box, it's empty, let's fill it up. Then we can fill it up with stuffed animals or whatever was in it. Then I will tell them look the box is full, can you empty the box? They will do this all day if I let them.

I think at 24 months and under, it's really a great time to teach them how to play with their friends, toys and how to have positive conversation with one another.

I do circle time with them, but we only sing, dance and read a very short story. Then I just sit on the floor and let the kids do what they would like in the toy area.

Most of the time, I am observing them and trying to be proactive about their behavior.
LaLa1923 07:50 AM 11-12-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
with my under twos I really take that time to mold them and show them how I expect them to play when they are here.

I teach them tons of vocabulary. LIke this is a box, it's empty, let's fill it up. Then we can fill it up with stuffed animals or whatever was in it. Then I will tell them look the box is full, can you empty the box? They will do this all day if I let them.

I think at 24 months and under, it's really a great time to teach them how to play with their friends, toys and how to have positive conversation with one another.

I do circle time with them, but we only sing, dance and read a very short story. Then I just sit on the floor and let the kids do what they would like in the toy area.

Most of the time, I am observing them and trying to be proactive about their behavior.
How do you show them how you'd like them to play? How do you want them to play? I'm sorry if this is a silly question, this is a new age group for me.
Sdcp16 08:15 AM 11-12-2013
Is there a place where you guys have pictures of your set ups? I guess maybe it would help to see how you all present your toys/stations etc. I have a huge room in my finished basement. All my toys for the most part are out and accessible. My craft stuff is only allowed when I am there to supervise.
Blackcat31 08:29 AM 11-12-2013
My under two's have their own room with their own toys. In that room, it's free play all day every day.... I play with them on occasion, give them new things to explore and check out.

I also do allow the under 2's to join our large group play so they start to recognize and copy the older kids' good behaviors. outside time too.

ALL meals and snacks and outdoor play includes everyone.
daycare 08:32 AM 11-12-2013
How do you show them how you'd like them to play? How do you want them to play? I'm sorry if this is a silly question, this is a new age group for me.
I can email you so I don't take up this thread if you would like. I am actually going though a class right now with an in-home coach. The class targets this age group. I started out where you are, not really feeling like I knew what to do with them and now I feel a lot of confidence while working with this group. They are actually slowly becoming my favorite age group.....For years I have steered away from the under 2 crowd, preschool was always my favorite.

It's fun when you learn the science behind WHY we do things and being able to implement them.
daycarediva 08:58 AM 11-12-2013
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
I have free play pretty much the entire day (outside of meal times, nap time, story time, circle time, arts/crafts and outdoor play).

My kids have access to all toys at all times. They need to put away the current toys they are playing with before getting out new toys. Right now I have a 15 month old and 2 2 year olds. They do great!
I do preschool lessons (with games, set up in centers that we rotate 2 at a time) and circle time, music and arts and crafts time, but other than that, it's free play.

They have access to everything. They pick up as they go along, and my oldest even incorporates it into her play most days, like today "Look at this big mess in my kitchen. Kids and husband, we can't go to the store until we wash all these dishes! Here, you put them away and I will wash them."

Only when they have difficulty cleaning up do I limit their access to toys. I had that happen recently and it lasted a few days where they had just one bin of toys each, no sharing, and needed to clean it up before switching. NO FUN and nobody wanted to continue that way.
kendallina 09:36 AM 11-12-2013
I have preschool kiddos (ages 2.5-5), so it may be different for those with younger kids. I have done it this way before with young 2-year olds too.

During free play (which usually lasts 45 minutes-1 hour, they have access to everything in the preschool room. The room is set up with centers, Block area, Pretend area, Art area and Quiet area. There are several materials in each area. They are expected to clean up their area when they're done with it before moving to the next area, most kids need reminders as they're leaving the area for a while before they do this on their own. They are not allowed to just dump out toys and not use them, but of course, at this age, they don't really do that anymore.

There are times when things get crazy and there is just too much chaos. Usually that means that there is too much stuff out and I'll put a few things from each area in storage. I have also noticed that the chaos sometimes (not always) increases if we are doing free play for longer than an hour.

The other times that we're not doing free play, we're outside, having circle time, small group (like art time), etc. I mostly have just morning kiddos, but I have two days a week where I have kids that stay all day and on those days we usually do no more than 1 hour or so in free play and then we go outside for the rest of the day.
Jack Sprat 10:45 AM 11-12-2013
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:

This is us as well. Except my kiddos are 23m, two 19m, and two 4.5 yr olds. They do amazingly well together. The older two tend to play their own thing, while the younger three play alone, side by side. I let them have access to everything at once. They do know that if it starts to get to overcrowded we put at least one thing away.
misslori50 09:15 AM 11-13-2013
http://www.playcountsdenitadinger.blogspot.com/ read this blog
LaLa1923 10:03 AM 11-13-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
I can email you so I don't take up this thread if you would like. I am actually going though a class right now with an in-home coach. The class targets this age group. I started out where you are, not really feeling like I knew what to do with them and now I feel a lot of confidence while working with this group. They are actually slowly becoming my favorite age group.....For years I have steered away from the under 2 crowd, preschool was always my favorite.

It's fun when you learn the science behind WHY we do things and being able to implement them.
I will Pm you my email address. Thank you!
Reply Up