Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Leaving Large Items at DC?
ihop 08:22 AM 01-02-2014
As it is now I allow parents to leave carpets and diaper bags for infants but today a new issue came up. I have a 2.5yo dcg that will be picked up once a week by the babysitter, 15yo. Today is the babysitters day for the first time and dcm walks in with a stroller and says "I don't know if you have a space to put this...." and sets it on the floor in the entryway. uhhhh no! I don't have a space to put it, nor do I want to store it for you! There is no reason the babysitter cannot walk over here with it.

Is it too much to ask that they figure out their own pick up arrangement that doesn't require my home being a storage space? Maybe since they see parents leave carseats they figured no big deal....

Would you allow something like this?
TwinKristi 08:39 AM 01-02-2014
What's the different between someone leaving a car seat or someone leaving a stroller? I would be opposed to either or accept both. Maybe leave it outside and that's where it stays? Obviously they would be leaving a car seat if the sitter drove but they don't so they need another form of transporting the child.
ihop 08:46 AM 01-02-2014
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
What's the different between someone leaving a car seat or someone leaving a stroller? I would be opposed to either or accept both. Maybe leave it outside and that's where it stays? Obviously they would be leaving a car seat if the sitter drove but they don't so they need another form of transporting the child.
My issue with the stroller is that it is 4x the size of a carseat. With only have two infants, I expect to only store 2 babies worth of things. I wouldn't allow each of my 2,3,4 year olds to be bringing diaper bags everyday... I would leave it outside but it rains majority of the year here and there is no covering for it.
e.j. 08:52 AM 01-02-2014
Originally Posted by ihop:
There is no reason the babysitter cannot walk over here with it.
Sometimes the most obvious solution doesn't seem so obvious at the time, kwim? I'd just let her know that leaving the stroller won't work for you and I'd suggest that she ask the babysitter to walk over with it when she comes to pick up the child.
MarinaVanessa 09:43 AM 01-02-2014
Then just tell them that there isn't room for it. Like already mentioned, either have them leave it on the front porch (or somewhere outside that it's out of the way) and you bear no responsibility of having to cover it or whether it's lost or stolen or you have them tell their sitter to go to the house first and pick it up and then come to DC to get DCK. Leave it up to the DCP's to decide.

Let them know today that it was cumbersome and that it's an extremely large item that you can't accommodate. Imagine if a child walked by it and it fell?
Blackcat31 10:19 AM 01-02-2014
My contract states:

Car seats and other equipment may NOT be left on the child care property, either inside or out. I do NOT have storage space nor do I wish to have the responsibility of caring for these items.

If another adult needs to pick-up or drop-off your child, you will need to make arrangements for the exchange of car seats etc.

Unregistered 10:22 AM 01-02-2014
Can you store it in your car trunk for the day?
Blackcat31 10:27 AM 01-02-2014
As it is now I allow parents to leave carpets and diaper bags for infants but today a new issue came up. I have a 2.5yo dcg that will be picked up once a week by the babysitter, 15yo. Today is the babysitters day for the first time and dcm walks in with a stroller and says "I don't know if you have a space to put this...." and sets it on the floor in the entryway. uhhhh no! I don't have a space to put it, nor do I want to store it for you! There is no reason the babysitter cannot walk over here with it.

Is it too much to ask that they figure out their own pick up arrangement that doesn't require my home being a storage space? Maybe since they see parents leave carseats they figured no big deal....

Would you allow something like this?
This is a little off-topic from your question but I am curious as to what your state rules/regs say about someone that isn't an adult (legally) picking up a child from your care?

It doesn't bother me one way or another but I am not allowed to release a child to ANYONE other than an authorized ADULT.

So just curious.
ihop 10:40 AM 01-02-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
This is a little off-topic from your question but I am curious as to what your state rules/regs say about someone that isn't an adult (legally) picking up a child from your care?

It doesn't bother me one way or another but I am not allowed to release a child to ANYONE other than an authorized ADULT.

So just curious.
Honestly it isn't my favorite situation but licensing says as long as the person is listed as a authorized pick up, they do not need to be 18. Its a judgment call on my part but honestly, if I said no, the child would stay with the sitter all day instead of with me. And that makes me even more nervous.
Blackcat31 11:00 AM 01-02-2014
Honestly it isn't my favorite situation but licensing says as long as the person is listed as a authorized pick up, they do not need to be 18. Its a judgment call on my part but honestly, if I said no, the child would stay with the sitter all day instead of with me. And that makes me even more nervous.
Gotcha.

I was just curious. I know many teen sitters that are MORE responsible than adults I know but was just wondering if your rules/regs stated anything specific about it.
TwinKristi 12:17 PM 01-02-2014
I've had a past DCP who had her 16yr old sister on the authorized list. It was kinda funny to me but whatever. Her sister lived with the grandparents still, so all 3 ppl of the authorized people lived together.
itlw8 12:28 PM 01-02-2014
they could go buy a large bbq grill cover so it will stay dry when left outside the door.
kathiemarie 03:13 PM 01-02-2014
Could they can buy a umbrella type stroller? Would you be ok with that? They fold up pretty small.
daycare 03:22 PM 01-02-2014
I think that at some point you need to draw the line.

I would just tell DCM I wish I could accommodate everyone, but unfortunately we just don't have that kind of space to offer. It makes our entry way impossible to move in with the stroller here, creating an unsafe environment. It is a liability issue, I would hate for someone to get hurt on it or even worse it get broken while here. I am sure you understand my reasoning.

I will need for you to make arrangements with your babysitter to make sure she has access to the stroller when she needs it. Sorry I can't be of more help.

On a side note, I also do not allow parents to drop off car seats or any other items and I do not loan car seats either. It is their responsibility to make proper arrangements that they have a car seat or stroller when dropping off or picking up.
Rachel 03:36 AM 01-03-2014
I allow them to leave strollers in a corner of my yard or inside my spare room that doesn't get used. My parents walk here and then take the bus to work, so it's not practical to not allow them to leave a stroller.
Play Care 03:44 AM 01-03-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
My contract states:

Car seats and other equipment may NOT be left on the child care property, either inside or out. I do NOT have storage space nor do I wish to have the responsibility of caring for these items.

If another adult needs to pick-up or drop-off your child, you will need to make arrangements for the exchange of car seats etc.

I think people need to be aware that if they are taking responsibility to store items for the day, they *may* be responsible for said items if they were damaged, destroyed or stolen. I also wouldn't be taking time out of my busy work day to try to find a place to stick a stroller - depending on where the item wound up that could take me away from active supervision of the dck's. But the truth it I hardly have enough space for the things *I* need to function as a dcp much less taking on everyone else's stuff!
mrsnj 04:11 AM 01-03-2014
I have not had a stroller but it would join the huge car seats parents sometimes leave. On my covered porch. And I tell them I am not responsible. I agree. Sitter should bring it
KDC 08:06 AM 01-03-2014
I would say sitter should bring it, or if nice enough for it to be left outside at their own risk.

I had a similar situation.. We have an online neighborhood FB page that all the neighbors pretty much use to gripe or sell things on. Well two of my clients were buying/selling baby items off the FB page and one parent decided to bring all of her baby equipment to give to one of my other clients. Really nice, I agree, BUT... dropping off an exerciser the DAY before Xmas when the other family is not due back for another 2 weeks (which she shoved INTO my xmas tree) really made my head steam. Where the heck am I supposed to put this large item for 2 weeks before xmas? Then she asks...is this okay? I wanted to scream NO! but the wimp in me backed off and it's currently in my garage.

Hopefully you can have the strength to say - too big, I don't want it!! Good Luck!
littlemissmuffet 08:17 AM 01-03-2014
I don't allow carseats, strollers, diaper bags or any other equipment to be left here, inside or out. Each child has a cubby for diapers, spare clothing, sunscreen, etc - and that's all I allow.
renodeb 02:03 PM 01-07-2014
I have a pretty good sized covered porch so it doesnt bother me if parents need to leave the bag for grandma or whatever. But if your space is limited then address the issue right away! Why cant the sitter just walk over with it?
Reply Up