Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Should I be concerned?
Zoe 09:55 AM 01-23-2014
Hi everyone! I haven't posted in a while, but I'm kinda stumped with this infant I have. 10 month old dcg, I've had her full-time (10.5 hours a day) since she was 2 months old. She was a fussy little one, I believe from being held a lot at home and she seemed as if she had some acid reflux. She has since become a delightful girl, as the parents have been very willing to work with me to help her be happy and successful at daycare.

Well the past two weeks she has become completely uninterested in eating, both bottles and baby food! It started with her only drinking 4 oz when she usually ate 6 at a time, then she would push the bottle away and cry if I offered it to her again. Then a couple of days later she stopped wanting to drink bottles at all! She is breastfed at home and still does that but I found that they don't bottle feed her anymore, she drinks from a sippy cup when mom is gone. Fine. So I give her a sippy cup. She won't drink from that either! And it turns out she has stopped drinking from the sippy at home now too.

The thing is, she is a very happy little girl. She has started crawling and sitting up from a crawling position and loves being on the floor with the other kids. The only time she is unhappy is during feeding time. I don't pressure her, I just offer it, so it's a stress free meal time. And this week she has stopped eating her baby food! I mix breast milk in with IF infant cereal and a fruit or vegetable of baby food. She won't eat it either. So she is going 11 hours without eating and doesn't seem to care at all! That's what is stumping me the most, it's as if she isn't even hungry. She's so happy until I try to feed her! She naps great too, btw. No trouble with that.

So dcm and I are both concerned about this. I haven't ever come across this before. Is it because she has a tooth coming in (top front)? Or she has just started crawling so she's too interested in playing to want to eat? Could there be something else I'm not thinking of?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! TIA!
TaylorTots 10:02 AM 01-23-2014
Teething? I have a 9m old dcg here that sounds JUST like that - she has been popping all sorts of teeth in. If not, mom should take her to the pedi to make sure nothing is wrong of course
Zoe 11:06 AM 01-23-2014
So if they're teething, it's possible for them to have little appetite? This is the first infant I've had in five years who has been like this!
daycarediva 11:13 AM 01-23-2014
I don't want to eat when my mouth hurts.

She is so old (in infant scale) I would try some tiny diced up actual food to see if she has interest in that. All of that independence might be carrying over to meal times as well. Also, a few drops of bm in an open cup might work. My dd hated the bottle, and pretty much went straight to a regular cup. I would show her, and then let her try.

Also, I would suggest a pedi visit. Lack of appetite for that length of time definitely warrants it. (imo)
melilley 11:15 AM 01-23-2014
Mom should take her in to the doc. If she's not drinking anything she can become dehydrated. They say that kids will go through food jags, but this seems like a long time for a food jag.
Josiegirl 11:18 AM 01-23-2014
Wonder if she's interested in what the parents are eating? Sometimes they're ready for something other than baby food. I agree with the suggestion of offering very soft diced foods, let her self feed. When I nursed my dds, they both went through a disinterested phase of nursing at around 9 months. They did still eat though.
nannyde 11:24 AM 01-23-2014
They are most likely doing all breastfeeding and table food at home so the baby is shunning bottles and baby food.

The only way to get her back is off the table food completely and all bottles all the time until she gets nipple trained again.

Did this start after a Xmas break?
Zoe 11:28 AM 01-23-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
They are most likely doing all breastfeeding and table food at home so the baby is shunning bottles and baby food.

The only way to get her back is off the table food completely and all bottles all the time until she gets nipple trained again.

Did this start after a Xmas break?
No I was only closed Christmas eve and day and she has been here ever since. It started last week.
Zoe 01:15 PM 01-23-2014
Success! Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I tried giving her an open cup today. Her first instinct was to bat it away like everything else the past two weeks. But after I got some in her mouth, yeah she sputtered at first. But then she started whining for more. Before you know it she opened her mouth and drank the entire 5 ounces! Now here's hoping she keeps it up!

I have breast milk all over my pants but it was totally worth it!
Tags:child development, infant - won't eat, stages of development
Reply Up