Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>30 Minute Naps
Pandaluver21 02:25 PM 02-19-2019
I have a 5 month old (that I've had for about 2.5 months) that will NOT sleep more than 30 minutes at a time and I'm losing my mind

He was sleeping about 30-45 minutes in the morning (around 10/10:30) then would sleep for 3-4 hours in the afternoon. At about 4 months, he stopped doing this and will take 3-4 tiny naps during the day. Figured it's just sleep regression, but a month later and I'm going crazy! (I've had kids that last 2 weeks, but over a month is new to me)

He's only here two days a week, and one of those days I have another little one (that usually naps about an hour each time)

Any tips for getting him to sleep longer than 30 minutes? He's SO crabby all day and I'm at a loss..
storybookending 07:01 PM 02-19-2019
One of my current 2 year olds was exactly like this and he still sucks at sleeping. He was a serial cat napper from the time I got him (12 weeks) until he wasn8 or 9 months old. Honestly he still sucks at sleeping but thankfully for me his issues are now mostly at night and I actually have to wake him up from naps here.

In your case it’s probably because of only being there two days and I’m not sure anything can be done about that.
jenboo 09:03 PM 02-19-2019
Do you get him up when he wakes up? I would leave him the remainder of nap time. It sounds like he hasn't learned how to go back to sleep after the end of his sleep cycle.
noura 05:08 AM 01-30-2021
My baby did this exact thing at 10 weeks. I just figured she hit sleep regression early cos she's so advanced.

I has been napping her in the ergo but when even that stopped working I gave it up as my back was killing me. I found that swaddling her and holding her while sitting on the couch worked best, and when she woke up after half an hour I would try to keep her swaddled and get her back to sleep, even if that took a whole hour! Eventually her brain started figuring it out and she got better and better at putting herself back to sleep if she started waking up, but it was a rough few weeks.
Jo123ABC 03:42 PM 01-30-2021
I also would leave him be for a while to teach him to settle back into sleep. Another thing I would try is making sure his tummy is good and full prior to nap. A bottle right before might do the trick if your not already. If he's starting solids, I'd even give a little bowl of baby cereal or bananas or something if your schedule will allow it.
Pandaluver21 06:19 PM 01-30-2021
Old post! He's 2 now, and sleeping 2-3 hours. We just pushed through and he figured it out. He has gone through a few regressions (when we moved, and when we potty trained) but other than that does pretty good! He still does NOT put himself back to sleep if he wakes up early, but he will lay quietly and say his vowels until naps over
Tags:short naps
Reply Up