Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Play kitchens
Cozy_Kids_Childcare 07:18 AM 05-14-2015
Do you feel that it is important to have play kitchens in your daycare space? I had a huge market place one but took it out because it became more of a jungle gym than anything else. I ended up bringing in my smaller kitchen set but the kids don't play with it. I bought a grill but they don't play with it.
Unregistered 07:29 AM 05-14-2015
I wondered the same thing, so I found a Pottery Barn individual kitchen set (the small one that is green and white with pink knobs on the stove on craigs list for $150 including a LOT of food and dishes. I went to Home Goods and found two baskets to put in the fridge for all the food and two of those keepsake boxes with lids for all the dishes for under the sink. The kids LOVE it. They get the most use out of the food and dishes, as they also use them with other toys, and then they like to make me meals. If you just don't have the room. I would put a chalkboard on the wall, draw on a kitchen, and then put the dishes/food on a shelving system right in front of the chalkboard. So, that would give the atmosphere of a "kitchen" without all the space.

Hope this helps!
finsup 07:42 AM 05-14-2015
I have one of the wooden kid kraft ones that they kids enjoy. It's nice because its a great size for the 1 year old group but not too small for the big kids so everyone uses it. Plus it's really cute and an "eye catcher" to parents. But I wouldn't see much harm in not having on either if you didn't think kids would use it.
Unregistered 07:45 AM 05-14-2015
Yes! My dcks love the kitchen area and use it ever day. I have a small kidkraft all in one kitchen that takes up less room against the wall. I have a small plastic picnic table, shopping cart, cash register, play food, pots, and dish ware. My dcks pretend to be mommies and daddies with the dolls, a restaurant, grocery store, etc.
Crystal 07:51 AM 05-14-2015
If they aren't using it, I would take it out and bring it back in at a later time. Dramatic play doesn't have to be all housekeeping. Perhaps changing it up to include more dress up, props for pretend play such as grocery store, community helpers, etc. will get them more involved in dramatic play and then reintroduce the housekeeping theme at another time.
Blackcat31 08:05 AM 05-14-2015
Originally Posted by CoachingForQualityImprovement:
If they aren't using it, I would take it out and bring it back in at a later time. Dramatic play doesn't have to be all housekeeping. Perhaps changing it up to include more dress up, props for pretend play such as grocery store, community helpers, etc. will get them more involved in dramatic play and then reintroduce the housekeeping theme at another time.

My "kitchen center" has been a Vet Clinic for more than 6 months now.
Cozy_Kids_Childcare 08:23 AM 05-14-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

My "kitchen center" has been a Vet Clinic for more than 6 months now.
Oh man... They would love to have a vet clinic. They love animals ... Fantastic idea... Thank you.
spedmommy4 06:26 PM 05-14-2015
I think pretend play is essential for kids. I change up the dramatic play area pretty regularly to keep the kids interested. It is currently an ice cream shop.
Attached: 1431653075172-1147862277.jpg (120.4 KB) 
childcaremom 02:52 AM 05-15-2015
I had a great wooden kitchen before and it was used every day, most of the time we were in the play room.

I've since gotten a cheapy plastic one and it doesn't get used nearly as often but still every day.

Our play food, pots, pans, etc get used all the time with or without the kitchen itself being used.

So I think if you don't have the space/desire for the kitchen itself, the accessories will get used anyways Maybe have them on a shelf next to the table? (that's what I have right now)

I have a set of outdoor kitchen-y things and they play with them all the time outside. Some at the mud kitchen, some in the sandbox, some in the playhouse.
bklsmum 03:25 AM 05-15-2015
The inside play kitchen is the most played with toy here and the outside mud kitchen is the most played with outside. I would consider it essential.
Reply Up