Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Babies in the Potty
mamamanda 07:33 AM 09-10-2015
How do you keep your babies/toddlers out of the bathroom? My 3-5 year olds forget to shut the door behind them when they're finished constantly. I have pulled a baby as they reached for the potty several times this week. I'm on it, but if I'm changing a diaper or assisting a child with something is when it usually happens. I've considered putting a lock on the door and wearing a key on a wristband so they have to ask before using the toilet. Might cut down on the couple I keep having an issue with peeing on things, but it seems odd to not give them free access to the potty on their own? Any better ideas?
jenboo 08:19 AM 09-10-2015
I had a baby gate at the edge of the Daycare room. They couldn't get anywhere else in the house (including the bathroom) without me opening the gate.
I think it's fine to gate off or lock the door for safety.
mamamanda 08:29 AM 09-10-2015
Ok thanks. Our bathroom is off of the living room so even when the room is gated they have access to the bathroom.
Unregistered 11:08 AM 09-10-2015
Turn the door knob around so it can be locked from the outside...olders can unlock to use the bathroom but littles cannot.
laundrymom 11:19 AM 09-10-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Turn the door knob around so it can be locked from the outside...olders can unlock to use the bathroom but littles cannot.
Hmmmmmm. Okay. Weird side question. The home we just purchased has EVERY CLOSET and even the basement like this. To be honest, it kind of freaked me out. I mean, I could think of NO REASON to have the lock button on the outside of the basement door. I even checked the basement side for claw marks in case previous owners might have locked someone/thing down there. (Or in the closets)
Maybe this is why.
Hmmmm
Controlled Chaos 12:40 PM 09-10-2015
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Hmmmmmm. Okay. Weird side question. The home we just purchased has EVERY CLOSET and even the basement like this. To be honest, it kind of freaked me out. I mean, I could think of NO REASON to have the lock button on the outside of the basement door. I even checked the basement side for claw marks in case previous owners might have locked someone/thing down there. (Or in the closets)
Maybe this is why.
Hmmmm
Spooky!

You can also get the child safety covers for your door handles. I have them on my laundry room and garage door due to licensing. I would say no to a key...'cause I would lose it
Luna 04:54 PM 09-10-2015
If the problem is that the kids are forgetting to shut the door, I'm not sure how a lock would help. Maybe a spring that makes the door shut automatically?
mamamanda 06:17 PM 09-10-2015
Originally Posted by Luna:
If the problem is that the kids are forgetting to shut the door, I'm not sure how a lock would help. Maybe a spring that makes the door shut automatically?
Well I was thinking if I had to open the door to let them in I would know to to stay close until they were done. As it I they go in & out on their own throughout the day & although I'm in the room, I'm interacting with another kid or changing a diaper sometimes I don't realize they've gone in until I see the door standing open a minute later. I'm thinking a couple of them are struggling to remember to flush the potty or wash hands b/c they're in & out in about 30 seconds. If I have to let them in I can be sure they are doing that. I like the idea of a spring, but wouldn't want it to pinch fingers either.
Reply Up