Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Eating Time Limit?
Half-Pint Hide-Out 11:15 AM 04-11-2012
I was just wondering if anyone sets time limits on how long the kids are eating. I have one little boy who has got to be the sllllooooowwwweeeessssttt eater in the world! We have our morning snack at 10:00 and as soon as everyone is finished, we have circle time and then do a project and then go outside for a short time before lunch. Most of the kids eat their snack in 10-15 minutes tops. This morning we had cheerios and he proceeded to pick each one up individually, put it in his mouth, chew and swallow before going to the next one. It took him until 10:35 to finish his snack, throwing our whole schedule off for the morning!! We have lunch right about 12:15, once the kids help set the table and wash hands...he was eating until 1:05 when I finally told him he had to be done because it was nap time and everyone was waiting on him! He is almost 5 years old and it's been getting worse lately. Any suggestions? Do I set him a time limit? Thanks!!
SunshineMama 11:18 AM 04-11-2012
Originally Posted by Half-Pint Hide-Out:
I was just wondering if anyone sets time limits on how long the kids are eating. I have one little boy who has got to be the sllllooooowwwweeeessssttt eater in the world! We have our morning snack at 10:00 and as soon as everyone is finished, we have circle time and then do a project and then go outside for a short time before lunch. Most of the kids eat their snack in 10-15 minutes tops. This morning we had cheerios and he proceeded to pick each one up individually, put it in his mouth, chew and swallow before going to the next one. It took him until 10:35 to finish his snack, throwing our whole schedule off for the morning!! We have lunch right about 12:15, once the kids help set the table and wash hands...he was eating until 1:05 when I finally told him he had to be done because it was nap time and everyone was waiting on him! He is almost 5 years old and it's been getting worse lately. Any suggestions? Do I set him a time limit? Thanks!!
I have 2 kids like that. I started lunch an hour earlier and readjusted my schedule so they can eat as long as they want without going into naptime. While they eat, I just go about my business with the other kids. My set up allows that though.
KBCsMommy 11:20 AM 04-11-2012
I seem to remember a while back someone had posted the same issues.

She DID set a timer. If the children weren't finished when the timer went off, the plates were picked up. Finished or not!! She said it only took her kids a few days to figure it out. Get your food and eat it!!

5 years old is definately old enough to know better. It also sounds like he knows he's aggravating you and getting a rise out of the situation.
DaisyMamma 11:24 AM 04-11-2012
5 years old and does this? What is he doing that he is so slow?
Is he playing or sitting nice, or?

I babysat a kid at his house - mom was home- mother's helper type thing, and she wouldn't allow him to get up until he ate everything and we're talking an adult size serving. He would be at the table from about 1115 to 130. it was ridiculous. And this was after he had to do the same thing for breakfast, which took him until about 930, so really, he wasn't hungry yet for lunch at 1115!
snbauser 11:34 AM 04-11-2012
Yes I do. Snack is 10-15 minutes. Breakfast and lunch is 30 minutes. If they are actually eating a a "normal" pace and still eating I don't usually take their food away but if they are just picking or playing, there plate is gone.

edited to add - I have mostly 3's and 4's and they can eat a lot in 30 minutes.
Heidi 11:34 AM 04-11-2012
At 5, I think you'd be doing him a favor by setting a reasonable limit. When he goes to school next year, he'll have about 10 or 15 minutes to actually eat.
Blackcat31 11:36 AM 04-11-2012
I use a timer. I set it for 30-45 minutes, depending on what we are having since some meals take a bit longer to manage when promoting self-help skills.

Part of our job is preparation for school and in school their lunch periods are timed as well so learning to eat within a reasonable amount if time is not too much to expect from any age.

Rarely do I have a regular child take the whole 30 minutes to eat. Some even manage seconds within that time and NONE of them are shoveling it in so I would feel comfortable with 30-45 minutes for all ages.
Crazy8 11:38 AM 04-11-2012
Originally Posted by snbauser:
Yes I do. Snack is 10-15 minutes. Breakfast and lunch is 30 minutes. If they are actually eating a a "normal" pace and still eating I don't usually take their food away but if they are just picking or playing, there plate is gone.

edited to add - I have mostly 3's and 4's and they can eat a lot in 30 minutes.
same here except mine are mostly 2's & 3's and they can still eat plenty in 30 minutes!!!
today little boy brought in munchkins for his bday and boy did those kids clean their plates quick knowing that was coming.
MarinaVanessa 11:42 AM 04-11-2012
Yep, we keep a schedule here too. 15-20 minutes for snacks and 25-30 minutes for breakfast and lunch. I used to have a dawdler but once I started being firm with the time limit and meals had an end-time all of a sudden she's not the last one to finish anymore. Coincidence? I think not
snbauser 12:18 PM 04-11-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Some even manage seconds within that time and NONE of them are shoveling it in so I would feel comfortable with 30-45 minutes for all ages.
I even have a few of my 4's that will have 3rds in that 30 minutes. and I cut them off after that.
wdmmom 12:25 PM 04-11-2012
10-15 minutes for snack
20-30 minutes for breakfast/lunch
daycare 12:26 PM 04-11-2012
my daughter who is now 14 used to fall alseep eating her food at the table. She would take FOREVER. She used to hold food in her mouth for hours at a time too.

The school called me to tell me that and all Icould do was laugh.

I give the kids a good 30 min. When time is up, they are done. If I see that it's an issue with them struggling with the spoon or fork, I will offer to sometimes help them to speed up the prcoess
Meyou 12:30 PM 04-11-2012
I was having an awful time with a 5 year old DCB and I started using a timer. I'm not sure if it was my post you were referring to on another thread. He took less than a week to figure it out and stop fooling around.

I do 15 minutes for snack and 25 minutes for lunch. It's more than enough time for my kids. I also excuse anyone that is fooling around and not eating.
SilverSabre25 12:37 PM 04-11-2012
I have one like this. The parents and I have talked and she does it at home, too. She just takes the tiniest little bites and chews them (loudly) for an absurdly long time before taking another bite.

I generally give her about five minutes after the next slowest kid finishes.
momma2girls 12:54 PM 04-11-2012
I have a 3 yr. old daycare boy. He messes and messes with his food, if he chooses he doesn't like it. THe other day, he ate one pea at a time, and took forever to eat the next one!! IT drives me nuts!! I started doing a 30 min. limit on everyone!! I also have an almost 2 yr. old that takes 30 min. as well. If I let her it would take her an entire hr. to eat!!
mema 06:37 PM 04-11-2012
10-15 minutes for snack and 30 minutes for lunch. I have a 21 month old that would down his food in 2 minutes. I've been working with him to slow down and now he takes about 15 minutes for lunch. Most of them are done in 15 minutes or so depending what we are having. As long as they are continually eating and not messing around they can stay at the table. One warning for messing around and then the plate is gone.
MrsB 06:59 PM 04-11-2012
I give them about 30 minutes for lunch. I only have 1 "pokey little puppy". I started a timer when they have 5 minutes left before time is up and I take the plates. She is getting better about the lunch thing, but pokey on EVERYTHING else.
Hunni Bee 08:41 PM 04-11-2012
Originally Posted by KBCsMommy:
I seem to remember a while back someone had posted the same issues.

She DID set a timer. If the children weren't finished when the timer went off, the plates were picked up. Finished or not!! She said it only took her kids a few days to figure it out. Get your food and eat it!!

5 years old is definately old enough to know better. It also sounds like he knows he's aggravating you and getting a rise out of the situation.
I did something like this years ago, and a parent complained to the director that I was only giving the kids a certain amount of time to eat. What I was actually doing was, they got the normal amount of time to eat and whomever was still eating went on the timer for 10 more minutes. Still got my butt chewed

Now I just give a five minute and one minute warning then I toss. Anyone fooling around and not eating gets it tossed after a warning.
sassysue 06:43 AM 04-12-2012
Half hour for lunch. 15 minutes for breakfast and snack.
If they are actually eating and not playing around I don't have a problem with letting them take a little longer.
If they are playing that means they're not that hungry and I just say lunch is over and excuse them from the table.
This is another area I refuse to battle with kids.
I serve them,they eat. If they don't I could care less. I excuse them from the table and throw it away.
permanentvacation 07:29 AM 04-12-2012
Yes. You need to set time limits for all meals. The child is chewing so slowly in part because he has simply been always allowed to take FOREVER to eat. By him/her taking so long to eat, they are missing out on the other activities. I have had PLENTY of slow eaters throughout the 20 years I've done daycare. Trust me. After a week or so of taking their plate away when the meal time is up, they learn to chew faster! When I get a slow eater, I constantly tell them things like come on and eat, you've chewed it enough, now you need to swallow your food, come on, take another bite, and lunch (whatever meal) is almost over, it's almost time to throw away the plates, etc. After a few days of throwing the child's food away when meal time is over, the child learns to eat at a regular pace.

Typically, we feed the children so often, that throwing away a bit of their food when meal time is over won't hurt them. So I don't have a problem with removing their plate to let them learn that I am serious about them having a time limit to eat.
Reply Up