Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Handling Parents
sarahhardy2711 07:04 AM 04-02-2013
My daycare is very new and right now I only have one family. They started paying late week 2, not much 1 day, but didn't say anything about not having it or anything. So Yesterday I sent a text asking about when payment will be made for week 3. When Grandmom picked up she said "dcm will try to be more consistent with her payments, and she'll have money for you tomorrow" Well today dcm sent me a text saying "dcg is a little under the weather and she wont be in today" I know it's because of the payment but just doesn't want to say anything.

How do you deal with situations like you, do you say something about the payment through text or do you wait for the next day when they drop off? For some reason I'm getting nervous that it's going to be like this, not just from them but from future clients.
KnoxMom 07:08 AM 04-02-2013
What do you have in your contract? Is there a payment policy? Consider enforcing a late fee. I would limit text conversation to state the amount overdue and the weekly due date to prove you gave notice but face-to-face should get the job done. Good luck!
cheerfuldom 07:12 AM 04-02-2013
enforce your contract. there ARE good parents out there but you may have to weed thru some bad ones to get to them.....its very normal for new providers to have to do this. i do think that some parents specifically bounce around between new providers trying to see what they can get away.
Meeko 07:35 AM 04-02-2013
I usually say everything with a smile!

I would just say "Oh dear! I do hope she feels better! Fees due are $** and $** late fee!"
NeedaVaca 07:36 AM 04-02-2013
You need to have a good policy in place in your contract including late fees. I would not let the child stay without payment. The main thing is enforce your policies from the start or they will see they are getting away with it and continue to pay late because there are no consequences.
jenny31052 08:57 AM 04-02-2013
When I first started doing daycare my first family was like that - didn't paid for 3 days, even after I hand them out 2 invoices with late fees attached. Then she called and told me that the dck was not feeling well and she was keeping him at home. They never showed up again, and I have never seen payment for that week, nor I was given a two weeks notice. I even mailed them an additional invoice, and attempted to call, but they never got back to me, or answered the phone. I gave up at that time, and I was so brand new to the job that I didn't want to go to small claims.

Now when they sign up I ask for a two weeks deposit to go towards the last two weeks of care, in case they disappear for whatever reason...
Unregistered 09:02 AM 04-02-2013
The first thing I would do is do away with texts. They do not belong in a business in my opinion. Texts are too easy to say things that come across wrong, or to say "I didn't get it", etc. Phone calls, policy review, and payment.
littlemissmuffet 09:46 AM 04-02-2013
Originally Posted by sarahhardy2711:
My daycare is very new and right now I only have one family. They started paying late week 2, not much 1 day, but didn't say anything about not having it or anything. So Yesterday I sent a text asking about when payment will be made for week 3. When Grandmom picked up she said "dcm will try to be more consistent with her payments, and she'll have money for you tomorrow" Well today dcm sent me a text saying "dcg is a little under the weather and she wont be in today" I know it's because of the payment but just doesn't want to say anything.

How do you deal with situations like you, do you say something about the payment through text or do you wait for the next day when they drop off? For some reason I'm getting nervous that it's going to be like this, not just from them but from future clients.
I don't mess around with pay. Late one day - $30 fee. Late 2 days - another $30 fee. Third day the client is termed and reminded that a $30 late fee accumulates EACH day the initial payment is late until paid in full. I also remind them that I will be filing with the courts, mentioning that all monies owed, plus accumulating late fees, plus lawyer fees, plus any time missed from work will be tacked onto their bill. They always pay

I don't text, email or talk over the phone about money - IN PERSON ONLY.
littlemissmuffet 09:47 AM 04-02-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
The first thing I would do is do away with texts. They do not belong in a business in my opinion. Texts are too easy to say things that come across wrong, or to say "I didn't get it", etc. Phone calls, policy review, and payment.
Absolutely. I've been saying this from day one. Texts are completely unprofessional, imo.
nanglgrl 09:51 AM 04-02-2013
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
Absolutely. I've been saying this from day one. Texts are completely unprofessional, imo.
I have to disagree. Texts can be used as evidence and can be used professionally in a variety of ways.
melilley 10:03 AM 04-02-2013
I'm new to this too, I just opened in January and didn't get my first family until February. I haven't had that problem, but I did have to ask for payment at drop off once the second week that one of my families started. It turns out that the dad forgot to give me the check, it was right in his wallet. I used my backbone and actually asked for it, I didn't think I could ever do it, but I did and actually didn't get embarrassed!
I require payment either the Friday before care for the next week or on Monday at drop off, it depends on each family's situation. That way if they don't pay then they can't stay until I get payment.
rmc20021 10:45 AM 04-02-2013
Getting payment for fees from clients is one of the hardest aspects of this job until you get to the point you have all your 'bad' families weeded out.

I'm JUST now getting to that point and now that I am, I'm not taking any crap from anyone. It's all a learning process and when you're first starting out you kind of hesitate to push a lot of your policies until you're set with having all your spots filled...then it becomes easier enforcing the rules because you don't have to feel so fearful of losing income you need.
Blackcat31 10:54 AM 04-02-2013
Originally Posted by nanglgrl:
I have to disagree. Texts can be used as evidence and can be used professionally in a variety of ways.
I think texting can be unprofessional in some circumstances.

I do allow my DCP's to communicate with me via texting but NEVER about payment or scheduling.

Those things are always discussed in person AND on paper.

I personally never have any type of conversation through a text that requires more than one sentence.
hope 11:05 AM 04-02-2013
Payment is the toughest issue to deal with when you first start out in daycare. One of my first DCM's would pay me all different days of the week for the first month of care. I clearly went over payment policy with her during our interviews and she knew it was due Monday morning. She also would deduct days her child wasn't in my care even though it was clearly stated in my contract that payment is due regardless of attendance. I struggled my first month with her bc I was uncomfortable asking for payment. Once I got up the courage to take charge of my own business I started enforcing my payment policy. And guess what.... She didn't agree to it, started trying to negotiate different terms and eventually left. There are parents out there that pretend to forget or give you a sobb story. They do it for as long as you allow n then jump ship to their next victim. You have the most important job in their life, to care for their children. Do not feel uncomfortable asking to be paid to do your job.
AmyKidsCo 11:23 AM 04-02-2013
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
You need to have a good policy in place in your contract including late fees. I would not let the child stay without payment. The main thing is enforce your policies from the start or they will see they are getting away with it and continue to pay late because there are no consequences.

It's definitely easier to enforce right away than to try to enforce after something has been going on for a while.
Reply Up