Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>At What Age Do You No Longer Allow
Unregistered 05:29 AM 11-19-2015
At what age do you no longer allow expressed breast milk? I have a child who is over a year old and I think we need to start regular milk mom is still bringing expresses milk for the child.
nannyde 05:41 AM 11-19-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
At what age do you no longer allow expressed breast milk? I have a child who is over a year old and I think we need to start regular milk mom is still bringing expresses milk for the child.
Free milk? Till they are 18
Sugaree 05:48 AM 11-19-2015
After a year I was required to bring a doctor's note (food program requirement, maybe?). I'll be honest here and say that expressing is a pain in the ass no matter how "good" you are at it. So, it will be rare for a mother to keep it up for longer than 12-18 months.
nannyde 05:58 AM 11-19-2015
If she is still breastfeeding she may want to have only breastmilk. I would not do heated or bottled milk past one. I would do room temp in a cup.

Its not time consuming if you take the convection heating out of it. I'm willing to pass containers back and forth to get free milk.
Blackcat31 06:06 AM 11-19-2015
Ive had several mom's keep their child on breastmilk well beyond age 2. None of them nursed as far as I know but all of them continued to pump and bring milk. The longest was a for a child that was 4.5 yrs old.

OP~ Why would you want to encourage the switch to regular dairy milk if mom is willing and able to continue giving breast milk? It's so much better for the child.

I would be 100% supportive of the parent wanting to do that!

Warming it wasn't an issue for me as the older the child got the less "warm" it needed to be. When I started serving snack/meal I just plopped the bag with breastmilk into a container of warm water for a few minutes and it was ready to serve in a cup by the time I was serving regular milk to the other kids. Easy peasy
Sugaree 06:15 AM 11-19-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Ive had several mom's keep their child on breastmilk well beyond age 2. None of them nursed as far as I know but all of them continued to pump and bring milk. The longest was a for a child that was 4.5 yrs old.

OP~ Why would you want to encourage the switch to regular dairy milk if mom is willing and able to continue giving breast milk? It's so much better for the child.

Warming it wasn't an issue for me as the older the child got the less "warm" it needed to be. When I started serving snack/meal I just plopped the bag with breastmilk into a container of warm water for a few minutes and it was ready to serve in a cup by the time I was serving regular milk to the other kids. Easy peasy
4.5?!?!?!!

Ugh. I hated that pump with the fire of 1000 suns by the time I was done. We continued nursing, and now at 2.5 I'm pretty sure I'm ready for him to wean completely.
spud912 06:47 AM 11-19-2015
Originally Posted by Sugaree:
4.5?!?!?!!

Ugh. I hated that pump with the fire of 1000 suns by the time I was done. We continued nursing, and now at 2.5 I'm pretty sure I'm ready for him to wean completely.
Ditto for me too haha! I hate that thing! I always said "oh my baby refuses a bottle" but the truth is that I refused the pump!
finsup 06:53 AM 11-19-2015
Originally Posted by nannyde:
If she is still breastfeeding she may want to have only breastmilk. I would not do heated or bottled milk past one. I would do room temp in a cup.

Its not time consuming if you take the convection heating out of it. I'm willing to pass containers back and forth to get free milk.
These are my rules too. I'm not on the food program and provide milk with meals. If a parent would rather they have breastmilk, awesome. Less I have to spend on milk for the week!
Ariana 06:58 AM 11-19-2015
As long as the mother wanted me to give her child expressed breast milk honestly. Why would a milk from a cow be any better? not even the same species.
Blackcat31 07:44 AM 11-19-2015
Originally Posted by Sugaree:
4.5?!?!?!!

Originally Posted by spud912:
Ditto for me too haha! I hate that thing! I always said "oh my baby refuses a bottle" but the truth is that I refused the pump!

I dunno... I was never a nursing or pumping mama so I have no experience with that but the one I had that still brought expressed milk at 4.5 yrs old was also nursing a younger one at the same time.

She went on to have 3 more kids (and eventually be a SAHM) but apparently she didn't mind pumping. They were a very "crunchy granola" type family so for her if may simply have been something that she wanted to do or something she believed strongly in so to each their own.
daycarediva 07:47 AM 11-19-2015

I would support it for as long as the parent wanted to provide it. It is only our current culture that recommends whole cow milk at age 1. Human milk is much better nutritionally anyway.
mommyneedsadayoff 07:54 AM 11-19-2015
I would let them bring it as long as they want, but around 12-14 months I stop warming and putting it in a bottle and just put it in a sippy cup.
Sugaree 08:08 AM 11-19-2015

I dunno... I was never a nursing or pumping mama so I have no experience with that but the one I had that still brought expressed milk at 4.5 yrs old was also nursing a younger one at the same time.

She went on to have 3 more kids (and eventually be a SAHM) but apparently she didn't mind pumping. They were a very "crunchy granola" type family so for her if may simply have been something that she wanted to do or something she believed strongly in so to each their own.
I guess it would be different if there was a younger. I actually donated to a friend's preemie twins for awhile which is part of why I did it as long as I did.
yodaone 08:15 AM 11-19-2015
I wouldn't put a time limit for expressed milk. I would serve it in a cup though!
Fiddlesticks 08:17 AM 11-19-2015
I am with everyone else, why refuse free milk? I wish all of my dcms would pump for 4.5 years, then I wouldn't have to buy any milk. Now, at what age do I refuse to offer a bottle? For developmentally typical children I introduce the cup between 6-8 months, begin weaning off the bottle as food consumption increases, and am done with the bottle around a year, but absolutely no later than 15 months.
Michael 08:42 AM 11-19-2015
Age Limits posts: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=age+limit
MissAnn 10:58 AM 11-20-2015
I nursed till my son was 2....... one day he tried, looked at me and said...there's none in there, I want a Coke. Then marched to the fridge.
BabyMonkeys 11:13 AM 11-20-2015
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
I nursed till my son was 2....... one day he tried, looked at me and said...there's none in there, I want a Coke. Then marched to the fridge.
Too funny! I co-slept and breast fed mine until they were a little over two. I learned to sleep through them nursing, so they more or less had an all night buffet. When my daughter was a little over two she woke me up to say she was thirsty and wanted a coke, instead of just helping herself to some milk. The funny thing is that other than a few occasional sips of mine, she didn't drink coke. I guess she just happened to have a craving. lol
MarinaVanessa 12:31 PM 11-20-2015
I'm by no means a "crunchy granola" mom but I do some things that are considered "crunchy". Breastfeeding until my child decides to wean is one of them. I would support the mom for as long as she wants to provide her mother's milk. Realistically we don't need any other milk other than mother's milk ... the only mammals that should be drinking cow's milk are baby cows. You can just as easily get the same benefits and nutrients that are in cow's milk through other diet options.

If you are on the food program however I would definitely ask them how to handle this situation. There is a requirement about serving cow's milk for breakfast, lunch and dinner so if you're on the food program you might need a note or something from the parent.
Evolily 02:59 PM 11-20-2015
Prior to the modern age, children would commonly be breastfed anywhere to 2-8 years old. The WHO recommendation is to breastfeed until at least 2, and continue as long as both mom and child wish. A 1 year old getting breast milk is entirely fine!
Karena 08:18 AM 11-23-2015
I would let the mother decide when that time will come, as long as she is happy expressing and the child is drinking, no harm is done. I'm sure at some point she will come to that determination.
renodeb 09:35 AM 11-23-2015
My dc girl had breast milk until a little over a year. Honestly I was glad when the mom finally said that they were done with all the pouches. I don't know if it's really a matter of allowing it or not. I kind of think a year is long enough though.
Play Care 10:42 AM 11-23-2015
I won't offer bottles after one year. But like another poster said I would put it in a cup and give it to them like that. No warming (aside from thawing if needed) etc. Less milk to buy and waste!
I do wonder if BM is creditable on the FP after a year? Would you claim dairy milk alternative?
spud912 12:27 PM 11-23-2015

I think that's awesome that others are so dedicated to continue pumping for so long! Personally, however, if it wasn't such a waste, I would set that thing ablaze in a bonfire doused in lighter fluid. I would rather spend an hour trying to comfort an inconsolable screaming toddler with separation anxiety ..... or would rather diffuse an argument between my dh and his mother (which is impossible by the way) .
Lovisa 08:16 PM 11-24-2015

My thoughts exactly!

No reason to give cows milk, especially if the mom still wants to send in expressed milk.

I nursed my youngest dd until she was almost 3. I never did have to pump or give a bottle since I was a SAHM but IF I had been a working mom outside of the home, I would have pumped for her. And if I had a DCP who insisted that I stop sending pumped milk with her, I would find a new provider.
Lovisa 08:18 PM 11-24-2015
Originally Posted by angelw2babies:
Too funny! I co-slept and breast fed mine until they were a little over two. I learned to sleep through them nursing, so they more or less had an all night buffet. When my daughter was a little over two she woke me up to say she was thirsty and wanted a coke, instead of just helping herself to some milk. The funny thing is that other than a few occasional sips of mine, she didn't drink coke. I guess she just happened to have a craving. lol
I co slept and nursed my daughter until she was almost 3. She helped herself to a "drink" whenever she needed and I rarely woke up lol
Tags:age limit
Reply Up