Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Cali Is a Rough Crowd! ��
Unregistered 11:18 AM 08-19-2016
Operated my HDC for 11 years. 10 years in OK and 1 in CA.
Prior I taught Kinder in PS. It's been a blessing to be able to raise my own children (4) while earn a good income. My youngest Daughter is 6 and in 1st grade now! I loved DHS in OK and how organized the system was. The families and children were appreciative and respectful as well.
Relocating to CA after 10 years away was an adjustment. After -1- year in CA licensed through CCC I'm burnt out on rude, self serving, entitled, petty , vindictive parents! My experience with CCC has been interesting. Seems that regulations are left to the interpretation of each analyst. This leaves too much room for personal bias opinion. Analyst are in theory like "police" and should have very specific guidelines to follow. Can a cop a site you because of his/her personal beliefs or thought on any particular day? I'm well educated and have no problem debating with CCC analyst. I believe they are accustom to HDC providers being passive. I've learned that in CA you must have an open copy of title 22 whenever an analyst visits. This is in case you need to look up a "regulation" they have chose to create. It's ridiculous. I was told last visit in order for my husband (who lives at HDC and is obvious cleared) to help he must have CPR. Title 22 says one provider present. We have 6 kids. I don't need him helping but it's nice! They said he should even get the kids drinks! I had to LOL at this. Analyst have said I'm very black and white! Ummm yeah...it's why laws are written in a particular way that closes gaps that lead to personal interpretation and human error!
I would return to teaching but no way in CA. Applying for positions within foster care because I feel passionate about helping. I completely believe after one year in CA....operating a HDC is a liability. The higher income a HDC provider earns...the more you can expect issues. I've had many families leave w/o notice or payment after attempting to enforce my policies or CCC regs. I've never actually had a parent complian directly to me! LOL...always anonymously through CCC. Resulting in inconclusive findings after each investigation. Makes me sad to have anything on my record even when I know the claims were BS. I understand the CCC appeal process. I am a mom of 4, work 6a-6p daily with 6 toddlers, then clean and care for family after hours! The time and effort an appeal would take is not something I'm interested in...CCC counts on that with FDH.
It's a rough job for very little monetary return but tons of stress and emotional backlash from nutty clients! The children are always my main concern! Love working with them! It's the parents that make me question my belief in the good of humans! It's difficult to open your home and family up to potential hurt voluntarily! I can feel that I'm done! When I can roll my eyes at a DCP crazy request w/o flinching...its probably time! LOL
In over a decade of providing care for well over 100 families there were amazing moments with amazing families who I shared my life with but honestly those were the exception. I will be sad to see my few sane clients go but Lord knows the nutty buddy's will feel the door on their behinds....including CCC analyst! Lol
Blessing to all wonderful, underappreciated HDC providers who put their heart, soul, love and time into someone else's children! It takes a pure heart full of kindness to touch each little life positively!
spedmommy4 11:43 AM 08-19-2016
I have to agree with you about California. The vague rules are completely bizarre. I'm in Oregon now and experiencing something completely different. The rules here are very detailed.

So far, the parents I've met have been super nice and the kids are extremely well behaved. I'm not sure if I've just had some good luck recently or it's a different parenting culture here. I had my share of difficult parents in California so I can empathize.
Blackcat31 11:51 AM 08-19-2016
Personally, I think California is probably one of the worst for rule confusion that I've heard of but I definitely don't think they are unique in that aspect.... I think the rule interpretation issues are happening all over.

My state recently lobbied hard for consistent and universal trainings for all licensors so that they were all on the same page.

I think one of the biggest issues in the particular subject is that many providers for some reason feel as if licensing is their "boss" or their higher authority.

So untrue.

Licensing is suppose to support and guide providers so that they can accurately follow the rules and regulations set forth by their states.

Just like we (providers) do NOT work FOR parents simply because they pay us, providers do not work for licensing simply because we are licensed through the state.
daycare 01:13 PM 08-19-2016
I think many can agree that I win the award for having to deal with some of the craziest parents EVER.....lol

I do think that it is a unique learning curve to learn how to deal with the people here if you are not originally from here.
Hipmommyof4 03:30 PM 08-19-2016
Cali born and raised! Can not wait to leave this state again! It is not small business friendly. Cali is already an expensive place to survive with your head above water. Thank you liberal Cali government!
Reply Up