Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ugh...I Dread Interviews
DaycareDays126 05:08 PM 08-25-2016
I recently revamped my WHOLE handbook/contract. I made my policies MUCH more strict and switched to contracted hours. I have been working on this handbook for 2 weeks (have to give a shout out to Blackcat for some GREAT ideas!) I have not been so active on trying to set up interviews to fill in a spot for a new SA, but I was just told that when I go on vacation in 3 weeks (first one in YEARS...yayyy!!!) one of my other kiddos won't be returning. So...on with the interviews...

Had one today. Already awkward in the beginning because as soon as they get out of their car, I realize I had an interview with them before! They didn't say anything about it so maybe they didn't remember but obviously, it didn't work out because they didn't sign on the first time. After we talk for a few minutes, one of the parents says "I'm going to be honest, after reading your handbook, I was thinking that I didn't want you to watch my child. All of your rules and policies make you sound very strict and mean. After meeting you I can tell that's not the case, but it was off putting at first."

Are you kidding me??? I worked so hard on that and I was proud of it when I finished! I thought it covered everything necessary, in a no fuss kind of way, that shows I am serious about my work and the responsibility of taking care of their children, and will not be taken advantage of. Parents will always acknowledge that they understand every policy is there for a reason, but then they think that you sound like a big "meanie" for wanting to enforce them!

Is it Friday yettt???
Blackcat31 05:23 PM 08-25-2016
Originally Posted by DaycareDays126:
I recently revamped my WHOLE handbook/contract. I made my policies MUCH more strict and switched to contracted hours. I have been working on this handbook for 2 weeks (have to give a shout out to Blackcat for some GREAT ideas!) I have not been so active on trying to set up interviews to fill in a spot for a new SA, but I was just told that when I go on vacation in 3 weeks (first one in YEARS...yayyy!!!) one of my other kiddos won't be returning. So...on with the interviews...

Had one today. Already awkward in the beginning because as soon as they get out of their car, I realize I had an interview with them before! They didn't say anything about it so maybe they didn't remember but obviously, it didn't work out because they didn't sign on the first time. After we talk for a few minutes, one of the parents says "I'm going to be honest, after reading your handbook, I was thinking that I didn't want you to watch my child. All of your rules and policies make you sound very strict and mean. After meeting you I can tell that's not the case, but it was off putting at first."

Are you kidding me??? I worked so hard on that and I was proud of it when I finished! I thought it covered everything necessary, in a no fuss kind of way, that shows I am serious about my work and the responsibility of taking care of their children, and will not be taken advantage of. Parents will always acknowledge that they understand every policy is there for a reason, but then they think that you sound like a big "meanie" for wanting to enforce them!

Is it Friday yettt???
She said "I'm going to be honest, after reading your handbook, I was thinking that I didn't want you to watch my child. All of your rules and policies make you sound very strict and mean. After meeting you I can tell that's not the case, but it was off putting at first."

What that means is: "I'm going to put you on the spot for a minute. I was thinking my kid might not cut it here. All your rules and policies will be difficult to follow because we don't have routines and schedules and are afraid our kid will cry so we let her run the show. After meeting you I can tell I might have a chance at playing the 'poor me' or the 'I pay' you card and still run the show but we'll see."

I've been told the same thing a million times.

If you enroll, these types of parents usually try and subtly push boundaries/rules in the beginning but if you are firm and consistent it's usually pretty easy to rein them in.
Poptarts22 05:26 PM 08-25-2016
I hate the interviews, and I know I take them far more serious than the families. Last weekend I met with a family who brought their 6 yo boy in shorts. Just shorts. No shoes and no shirt. I wanted to tell them before they got in the door-sorry, let's not waste each other's time. If they can't bother to dress him to come meet me, then I know they are too lax in their parenting to ever make it in my daycare
spedmommy4 05:41 PM 08-25-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
She said "I'm going to be honest, after reading your handbook, I was thinking that I didn't want you to watch my child. All of your rules and policies make you sound very strict and mean. After meeting you I can tell that's not the case, but it was off putting at first."

What that means is: "I'm going to put you on the spot for a minute. I was thinking my kid might not cut it here. All your rules and policies will be difficult to follow because we don't have routines and schedules and are afraid our kid will cry so we let her run the show. After meeting you I can tell I might have a chance at playing the 'poor me' or the 'I pay' you card and still run the show but we'll see."

If you enroll, these types of parents usually try and subtly push boundaries/rules in the beginning but if you are firm and consistent it's usually pretty easy to rein them in.

Sums it up perfectly!
Mike 06:33 PM 08-25-2016
Is it Friday yettt???
Just about.

Seriously though, BC is right. If you do let them in, stick with your rules and if it doesn't work out, i.e. not enough giving in for them, they will go, or you will have a good reason to let them go. If you want to try them out, go for it.
DaycareDays126 06:43 PM 08-25-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Thank you for saying that! Since then, all I have been thinking is "am i too strict? Do I sound mean?" What you said it REALLY meant sums it up perfectly. The whole point of redoing everything was to make my policies more "strict" and enforceable. I just have to stick by my guns and know that I am doing whats in the best interest for me, my family, my business, THEIR CHILD, and everyone elses child that comes to my home every day.
nannyde 06:47 PM 08-25-2016

Is it Friday yettt???
I think my internet and cable contract is mean and strict. My cell phone one is too. They are MANY pages long and they have millions of customers. My piddly income is infinitesimal to them yet our agreement is five times the pages of my contract for daycare.

Why do parents not think big business contracts are mean and strict but ours are? Because they truly believe we should do it for love not money.
Blackcat31 06:54 PM 08-25-2016
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Because they truly believe we should do it for love not money.
this applies to both parents and state/government.
Mike 07:16 PM 08-25-2016
Bc and I are on the same page. As I read nannyde's post, I was going to quote the exact same part of it, then read Bc's post and saw that she beat me to it.

Anyway...

Because they truly believe we should do it for love not money.
I am planning to go into business partly for the love of it, but I will need the money too.
Josiegirl 05:10 PM 08-27-2016
I think my internet and cable contract is mean and strict. My cell phone one is too. They are MANY pages long and they have millions of customers. My piddly income is infinitesimal to them yet our agreement is five times the pages of my contract for daycare.

Why do parents not think big business contracts are mean and strict but ours are? Because they truly believe we should do it for love not money.
For some reason they also think they can push us into caving in for them, giving them special treatment.
Reply Up