Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Would You Term Part Time For Full Time
MommyofThree 10:27 AM 01-10-2012
Ok so I have five part time children and I am allowed 16 with an assistant. So whould you term a part timer for a full time spot?
bice99 10:29 AM 01-10-2012
Totally depends on the situation. I have in my PHB that I can do that but will offer spot to the PT child if they will pay FT rate. But if the PT DCK is difficult and the FT one is easier, that's one thing. Depends on finances. Depends on my group dynamics.
JennyBear 10:40 AM 01-10-2012
For me, it would depend on a few things:
1. Are the p/t parents paying f/t rates? If not, I would have to ask myself if that increase in income is something I want/need
2. Is the child well adjusted and well behaved? If I didn't need the extra income I wouldn't want to give up a child that meshes well with everyone (and well behaved) if I didn't have to, especially not knowing what the other child is really like.

It's a tough decision but I'm sure you will make the right choice for you. Good luck!
SimpleMom 10:56 AM 01-10-2012
I would. Or offer them a probational period to see if it will work out. I would also offer the FT slot to the current client first.
justgettingstarted 10:58 AM 01-10-2012
I'm in the exact same situation. I have all part-timers and now have a parent that wants to sign up full-time. I agree with the previous posters, it depends on the finances and the children. Personally, I really need the full-time rates and the part-timer I'm considering terming is a hand full (it just took 45 minutes for him to finally go down for a nap). So, its an obvious decision for me, I'm definitely going to term once I get everything settled with the new family. I feel kinda bad but we're running businesses and this is a business decision.
Blackcat31 11:01 AM 01-10-2012
I am very clear up front with the fact that I prefer full time families and that full time will always have priority over a part time family when it comes to scheduling etc.

If I had a potential client wanting a full time spot and I didn't have the room without terming a part timer, I try to offer the option of the part timer using and/or paying for the full time spot and if they pass on it, I would term the part timer and take on the full time family.

I know that sounds bad, but I am not in this business to make friends, I am in this business to make a living and pay my bills like everyone else.

For the last several years I have filled 3/4 of my spaces with full timers ONLY and left 2 spaces open to accommodate any part timers. I have been lucky enough that I have 4 part timers that share 2 full time spaces and so far it has worked out great.
abigailrw5 11:30 AM 01-10-2012
Blackcat you say you have 4 part timers filling 2 spots? Isn't it just the number of kids that you can have is 6? It doesn't matter if they are part time or full time right?
Blackcat31 11:34 AM 01-10-2012
Originally Posted by abigailrw5:
Blackcat you say you have 4 part timers filling 2 spots? Isn't it just the number of kids that you can have is 6? It doesn't matter if they are part time or full time right?
I can have 12 kids total here at ONE TIME.

Right now I have 10 who come M-F everyday and 4 who share the other two remaining spaces. So 2 kids come M-F from 7:00til 11:00 and 2 who come M-F from 1:00 to 5:00.

Hope that makes sense....

If times and schedules worked out I could potentially have 24 kids enrolled but still only have 12 kids here at any one time.

I am licensed to care for 14 children. (only 10 of them can be under school age) I currently have 2 who are school age but did not get sent to Kindy this year so I have 12 kids everyday.
Reply Up