Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Why Do Daycare? How Long Have You Done It? Why Close?
DaisyMamma 08:22 AM 10-18-2012
I see a lot of posts of new providers opening and other providers closing and I'm just curious.
Does anyone plan on doing daycare until they retire?
Why did you open your daycare?
How long have you been doing daycare?
How long do you plan to do daycare? Why?
why did you, or will you, close?

At my daycare I make significantly more then I ever did working outside the home. I can't ever see closing down.
littlemissmuffet 08:33 AM 10-18-2012
No, I have maybe 10 more years left in me before I change careers (I'll be about 40 by then).

I opened my daycare so that when I eventually had kids I could be home with them. Ironically, I would never put my own child in daycare.

About 10 years.

Again, about 10 more years, if that. I want to be home with/for my own kiddo until they are well into their elementary school years.

I will close because the longer I do daycare, the more I notice that parenting style these days are really quite difficult for me to accept and work with. I love everything about my job but the parents.
Blackcat31 08:38 AM 10-18-2012

I plan on doing this until I am dead or win the lottery.
Which ever comes first.

Because my own DS was a rage baby and he had been kicked out of two child cares (one center/one family care) before he was a year old.

I have been in the ECE field for 25+ years but have been doing family child care for 20 yrs

Until I am dead. Because I am good at it.

I also cannot see myself working FOR someone else and not being the one in charge. Once you get that kind of control over your life/income/career, it is hard to let it go.

I would consider closing if parents continue on this downward slide of allowing children to set the rules and be in charge and have zero boundaries.

However, that issue hasn't found it's way inside my child care yet (only outside so far) so I think I am good for now.
Brooksie 08:39 AM 10-18-2012
Probably not. I'm hoping to be able to go back to school eventually. But it was almost impossible in my previous situation.

I opened my day care bc before I was a single mother who stayed home during the day with my daughter and then worked nights and weekends in a very busy restaurant. I was absolutely exhausted all the time and wasn't able to enjoy the time I had with my child. With the day care I can stay at home with her doing everything I was before, but I get paid for it and my nights are open for me to relax and recharge for the next day. I actually made more money in the restaurants but it wasn't going to get me any where.

I just opened in September.

I plan on doing it for at least the next 5 years. At that point, once my daughter is in school, I'm hoping to go back to college.
BumbleBee 08:45 AM 10-18-2012
Originally Posted by DaisyMamma:
I see a lot of posts of new providers opening and other providers closing and I'm just curious.

That is my plan but I am only 27, single & no children of my own so things could change

I have worked in 3 centers and nannied for 3 families. At the centers I didn't like how rigid it was; the cliques with the teachers; the ever changing policies from the boss; and the lack of empathy & compassion towards the kids. Though not all centers are like that. As for the nanny jobs-2 were great (1 family moved cross country & the other I finished college and moved away from that area.) The 3rd one was horrific.

2 months as a home daycare. 10 years in child care

Until God leads me down another path, if that's his plan for me.

See above

At my daycare I make significantly more then I ever did working outside the home. I can't ever see closing down.
Great questions!
sharlan 08:55 AM 10-18-2012
Does anyone plan on doing daycare until they retire? IMHO, I am retired.
Why did you open your daycare?I couldn't function as a working mother. My job and children were both suffering, one had to give.
How long have you been doing daycare?In all honesty, I've had someone else's baby on my hip since I was 13, so 45 yrs. Daycare - 28 yrs
How long do you plan to do daycare? Until I can't do it anymore.Why?Because I enjoy it.
why did you, or will you, close?I did close for 5 yrs after one of my kids made a horrible, false accusation to his parents.

I make far less today that when I quit work 28 yrs ago.
Childminder 09:00 AM 10-18-2012
Does anyone plan on doing daycare until they retire? Til death do we part.
Why did you open your daycare? Natural evolution, started very early and just had that "knack" for watching children.
How long have you been doing daycare? 47 years
How long do you plan to do daycare? Til death. Why? Can't retire unless I do continue since our world was financially destroyed in 2008.
why did you, or will you, close? I would if I was gifted with enough money to live comfortably.
Lyss 09:06 AM 10-18-2012

I'm relatively new to operating my own home daycare but I've been working in centers since I was 16 and I helped a home daycare provider as her sub and pt assistant for over 5 years. I have a degree in ECE and take many hours of training each year.

Honestly I never really planned to do in home care. I was planning to become a center director (I was asst director for the last few years i worked there) but I just got fed up with the politics, drama, and the way most were ran and two years ago stepped away. Then a year later I had my DD (our happy 'accident' ) and I decided to open mine as I wanted to be with her instead of paying for daycare that I was more than qualified to provide. I now have a prek program and am comfortable in my numbers. Of course I'm still just learning the ropes and have tweaked a lot of things! I love this board for all the advice and support!

I'm not sure how long I plan to do this, if I'll be a lifer or not. I really enjoy it, I like watching the kids become their own little person and I do plan at least 6 years, maybe longer. For me a big part of it depends on my husband's job, whether he will stay put or move onto a different location. He's a park ranger and can move between parks if he chooses, currently he works at one of the largest/busiest parks in our state and loves it but i know he wants to move away from the large park down the road (no time soon most likely though) and honestly starting this business was hard, i don't know if I want to go through all that again if we ever relocate! lol!
crazydaycarelady 09:09 AM 10-18-2012
I have been doing dc for 21 years. At first I was just going to do it until my own kids got in school.

Then when they all got in school I didn't want them to be latch-key kids, plus since they no longer counted in my ratios, the money was finally pretty good.

When they got to be teenagers I definately didn't want them home alone afterschool - I was a teen once and that is when I did ALL the stuff I wasn't supposed to do!

Now they have all recently moved out but when I think of getting a job outside the home I would be taking a HUGE paycut.

At this point I plan on doing this until I have grandbabies and then I will quit this and just enjoy them!
laundrymom 09:11 AM 10-18-2012

I'm a lifer. I've always wanted to do this. I've been open since '87. I'll do daycare until my hubs retires. About 25 more years.
cheerfuldom 09:23 AM 10-18-2012

I hope I am not doing daycare until I retire! I opened my daycare because I had three home providers bail on me before my first was supposed to start daycare. I am going on 6 years of daycare and plan to do this only as long as I have to....basically till I can get at least 3 of my 4 kids off to school and find another way to make ends meet. It works for now and I am good at it but its certainly not my dream job. I was so close to closing permanently and then found out I am expecting surprise baby number 4.
mom2many 09:48 AM 10-18-2012

Yes, I cannot imagine myself in another career.

I started my business, so I could stay home with my son and help our family out financially.

I've been doing it for 26 years

I will continue doing daycare until we move to a less expensive area and we can live on my hubby's pension alone...probably won't happen for another 15 years! I don't plan to retire any time soon!

I love what I do and find it rewarding, so unless we win the lottery, I'm content and happy working! I enjoy running my business out of my home and not having a grueling commute or having the fear of being laid off!

Why did you, or will you, close?

I would close my daycare if the State of CA made it undesirable to continue. Many changes have taken place since I began and some for the best. However, I agree with Black cat and I would consider closing if parents and the State continue on this downward slide of allowing children to set the rules and be in charge and have zero boundaries.
HappyHearts 09:54 AM 10-18-2012
I worked at a large commercial center for 2 years, then quit because I didn't agree with how the children were being treated. I wasn't planning on working anymore. I worked as a credit manager prior to that for 10 years.

After 2 weeks of staying home and enjoying it, I had several calls from some of the parents of the 2 year olds that I use to care for at the center, asking if I would care for their kids because they didn't want to go to daycare without me there anymore. That was a tough decision. I have no children of my own and my house was far from childproof or kid friendly. After discussing it with my husband and meeting with all the parents. We all agreed. I applied for my childcare license and the rest is history.

My first 6 children came from the center as 2 year olds and they all stayed with me until kindergarten. By the way, I am still in contact with all of them and their parents, and have attended all of their high school graduations. The very best group of kids and parents I have ever had.

Spent 2 years at a large center, and this month will be 20 years in the same location running my home childcare.

I always planned on doing this until I physically can't do it anymore. I love what I do, and have been very proud of my program, and all I have learned and continue learning throughout the years. It would be hard for me to give up.

I'm not sure if I would ever close indefinitely. I don't plan on ever working outside the home or any other job. I love what I do. All I ever wanted since I was a little girl was to work with children. It's hard to get kids here now, because of the economy, and all the sahm's that are now watching everyone's kids for really cheap. If I ever quit, it would only be because I don't plan on working anymore.

I kind of fell into this career and have enjoyed every second of it. The only real reason I would quit is if I just couldn't get kids. I am a dog trainer and compete and show my dogs in many venues, and also have certified therapy dogs that do visits at the hospitals and nursing homes, so I have plenty to do on my off hours. So, at the times I don't have many kids, I take advantage of that and enjoy my hobbies even more.

Honestly speaking, I don't think I would ever close unless I lost all my daycare kids, and spent too many months without enrolling any more.
Soccermom 09:55 AM 10-18-2012

No. I plan on returning back to work when my kids are ready.

To be able to stay at home with my children and still pay bills

Almost 10 years but took 1 year off to just be a SAHM.

I will be closing in a year or so..I am not taking on any new DCKS so as my current SA DCKS age out, my numbers will diminish. I will give the other DCPS lots of time to find other care as well.
I am closing because as much as I love kids, I am done. I look forward to being a SAHM for a bit before returning back into the workforce once I feel my Children are ready for me to do that. I am slowly cutting back on bills and trying to pay things off in order to be able to afford a year or two of just being a SAMH. I look forward to it!

I will be closing because it is getting harder and harder to please DCPS and DCKS. They just want more, more and more and I am terrible at saying No so I often give in. It is exhausting and I feel like at the end of the day I can hardly stand to spend time with my own children because I am spent from caring for everyone else's.
countrymom 09:56 AM 10-18-2012
I'm not sure, my house is paid off in 4 yrs, but then my odd will start university and then every 2 yrs I will have a child enter higher education, till all 4 make me go broke. But probably.

It started off that I wanted to make some fun money, but as I had more kids and they wanted to join a million activities I started to do it seriously. Also, I didn't want my kids to come home to an empty house, and the 5th child (my dh) is clueless so it was easier for me to stay home. Also, I grew up where my mother was always home too.

10 yrs

same as question 1

unless I die or also win the lottery, that would be the only reason.
Daycarelady1979 10:05 AM 10-18-2012
I'm really not sure. Depends on the day you ask me...some days I feel like I could do it forever & other days I just want to call it quits.

I was new to the area & had a 10 month old son...I wanted to earn an income but I didn't want someone else to raise my child. I was only going to do it until he went to Kindergarten, but things were going so well...business was good & the income was great, so I kept at it!

This December will be 9 years.

I'm not sure about that either...
My little one who was once 10 months old is now in 4th grade, but a few months ago we received another blessing. So now we have a little one who is 7 months old & I feel like I owe it to him to work from home while he is growing up, just like I did for his brother. I will definitely do daycare until he goes to Kindergarten. After that...who knows?

I will close when I'm ready...I feel like I will just "know" when it's time.
Or whenever we move out of this house/town.
Or if I become independently wealthy.
Whichever comes first
DCMom 10:17 AM 10-18-2012
When I first started, that wasn't the plan. Now, 23 years later, it is.

I originally started 'babysitting' a few neighborhood kids because I wanted to be home with my own two boys. Five years into it, I got pregnant with my third child (an oops...but the best thing ever ) and I realized that I had found a career. We built a bigger house with opening a licensed daycare in mind.

I have been doing daycare in one way or another for nearly 24 years.

Till I retire ~ whenever that might be.

If I won the lottery, I would consider it. Actually, I would probably just keep my very favorite kids and let the rest go
I'm hoping government regulation won't piss me off so much that I quit before I am really ready, lol!
DBug 10:27 AM 10-18-2012
[quote=DaisyMamma;275314]
Not me

To help pay for our first house and be available to my own kids while doing it. I would never want to put my own kids in f/t daycare. IMO, it defeats the purpose of having them in the first place.

Home daycare for 3.5 years, daycare center for one, nannying for a few years in there somewhere, too.

If all goes as planned, a few more months!

Hubby's got an awesome job, and my jobs have always been disposable. I've never been career-driven and any job I've had has simply been to make ends meet, even though I have 2 degrees and a pretty secure fall-back. This current job (home daycare) has served it's purpose. I think the fact that it takes up so much of our house space is a big reason for why I don't want to continue it any longer than I have to.

/QUOTE]
Sunshine74 01:45 PM 10-18-2012
Yes, that is the plan. I am now in training to become a director when our center's current director retires.

I don't have my own daycare, I work at my family's daycare center. They opened a little more then 27 years ago.

I am already a 'lifer'. I've gone from being attending daycare as a child, to being a "helper" after school on the days my mom was working, to actually working. Officially I have been employed for 11 years.

Probably until I can't. Growing up with child care in my life, I've always known that's what I want to do. I work with my mom and one of my sisters, and most of my coworkers are people I've known for many years- a few my whole life.

I can't see closing the center unless something happens where we lose all our families or we have to close for some reason. I could say taking a few years off, or cutting back on my hours, when I have a family of my own- but only if we could do it financially.
AnythingsPossible 01:56 PM 10-18-2012

Most definately not. Atleast not in my home!

I couldn't find daycare for my daughter, and didn't really want to put her in daycare so I started my own.

10.5 years

At the most, another 2 years. I am going to back to school to get my degree and once I have it, I will work out of the home, though for considerably less money, but hopefully more happiness.

So many reasons. My family doesn't enjoy it anymore, I don't enjoy it anymore. I hate being couped up in my house all the time. I am tired of having boogers wiped on my furniture, milked spilled in my dining room, dirty hands using my table/chairs as a napkin, little kids stuff in our home, one area of our house that my family doesn't use at all because it is where daycare stuff is, toys in my yard that my kids are to big for, not being able to go to any of my childrens sports or after school activities, the state coming up with new rules and regulations every year, parents taking advantage of my niceness, no real contact with adults other then when parents pick up and drop off. I could go on...........
Crazy8 02:22 PM 10-18-2012
Probably, but whether I retire in 2 years or 20 years is really the question.

To be home with my daughter and knowing I wanted another child and couldn't afford 2 in daycare on my salary.

11 years

Until I can afford not to, no clue when that will be. I won't go out and work for anyone else but I'd give up the daycare if I didn't need the income.

see above, when I can afford to not work, which will probably be never but a girl can dream, right??

I don't make more than I did WOTH but the perks of being home are well worth it and if I figured it out on paper I probably do make more with tax deductions, etc.
Nickel 02:34 PM 10-18-2012
Honestly I'm not sure.

I was unhappy with the quality of care in my area. I wanted more for my youngest dd. Financially we would have been okay with just hubbys income but my 2 dds couldn't do activities and we had no extra money. So I opened my home daycare so that I could earn money for the extras and teach my daughter her numbers, letters, colors, etc.

I worked in a center for a year while I was going to college for teaching. I also babysat as a teenager. I opened my home daycare in August this year so 2 months

I was thinking until my youngest starts school and then I would go back to work, but I am making about the same as I was working out of the home if you factor in child care, fuel and clothes

Idk, I am thinking of growing and having a large family daycare home with assistants, but we will see what the future holds
Sunchimes 06:16 PM 10-18-2012
I can start drawing my social security in just under 3 years. I'll probably keep doing it because we can't make it on 2 social security checks. I have 2 kids that I really love and it won't be a chore to keep doing it until the youngest goes off to school in 4 years. After that, we'll see. I'd like to leave this town and move back to our hometown, but at the same time, I don't really want to start over with new kids.

I've been self employed since 1980, the last business lasted 17 years. Political games cost me my contract and in the space of 3 minutes I went from having a thriving business to nothing. Hubby was already retired, so we took a pretty big hit. Turns out that being self employed for most of your adult life doesn't give you skills for today's job market. I don't know excel, how to operate a multi-line phone, and I'm not bilingual. Oh, and while my business had a retail component, it was a very odd sort of business and didn't translate into normal retail skills. Day care has always been in the back of my mind as my fall back, since I would have to be really hungry to go back to teaching in public schools. I'm not even sure my license is still valid.

20 months

I'd like to retire when the current baby goes off to pre-K, but I don't see us being able to do that. The truth is that I'll probably keep doing what I'm doing as long as I'm physically able. It's not a bad way to earn a supplemental income. I'm legally unlicensed, so supplemental is all it can ever be.

If I'm physically unable to do it or if we win the lottery or an unknown rich relative leaves us his fortune, I'll quit. Otherwise, I don't see a way out, and I'm not really looking.
EntropyControlSpecialist 06:40 PM 10-18-2012
I just don't know.

There was a hiring freeze for teachers and I wanted to use my teaching degree.

7.5 months Preschool (with daycare hours).

When we first thought of it, 5 years. Now, I'd say closer to 10-15. But, that could change as it gets easier with time and I find my groove.

The parents really wear me out. I have Asperger's and find the parent interactions that come with this job to be draining. That is definitely what will do it for me in the end.
MyAngels 08:04 PM 10-18-2012

Probably

Because every day when I dropped my kids off at their daycare I thought "Man, that's the job for me!"

20 years in my home

How long do you plan to do daycare? Probably until I drop dead from exhaustion Why? I don't think I could find another job that pays this well, other than some type of sales. I would seriously starve if I had to try to sell anyone anything.

why did you, or will you, close? I would close if I won that special lottery for all of us who never buy a ticket, or kick the bucket, whichever comes first.
Very interesting to see everyone's different experiences.
Oneluckymom 08:18 AM 10-19-2012
[quote=DaisyMamma;275314]I see a lot of posts of new providers opening and other providers closing and I'm just curious.
Does anyone plan on doing daycare until they retire? I really have no idea. I doubt though I would do it that long, but you never know.
[
B]Why did you open your daycare?[/b] To supplement my husbands salary cut, while he is studying to further his career. Basically I am paying our mortgage right now. But I wanted to stay home too.

How long have you been doing daycare? a little over a year.

How long do you plan to do daycare? Why? I really don't know. I definately cannot quit for another 2 years. But whether I will want to continue when I have an option to quit is still undecided. I may however, decide to keep a few part timers or maybe just do after school care at that point.[b]
SunshineMama 09:28 AM 10-19-2012

Nope

My daughter was the non-napping, high spirited child that went through 2 providers in 5 months. I didnt really have a choice- she wasn't cut out for group care and we couldnt afford a nanny.

2 years.

Until my youngest is in first grade, or until dh makes enough so i dont have to do it anymore.

I dont like the long hours, small pay, and disrespect from parents. The kids are fine, but the parents lack of respect will make me quit.
Reply Up