Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do Parents Enter Your Home?
Unregistered 09:24 PM 01-07-2016
Wondering how you all handle parents doing drop-off and pick-up. Do you leave the front door unlocked during DO and PU times? Do they have a code that they enter on the door keypad to unlock and lock the door? Do they ring the bell and then you go to the door to open/unlock it?
Rockgirl 03:59 AM 01-08-2016
My front door is unlocked during drop off/pick up--they just come on in.
Thriftylady 04:01 AM 01-08-2016
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
My front door is unlocked during drop off/pick up--they just come on in.
This here also.
midaycare 04:11 AM 01-08-2016
I have a separate entrance downstairs. But if I didn't, I would spring $100 to pay for one of those key code door knobs.

As it is, I always keep the door locked downstairs even if I can see the parent. We just bought a new door for downstairs though, and when it is installed, we are going to get a keypad for it.
Provider_Manda 04:16 AM 01-08-2016
Parents use my front door and I always keep it locked. They always knock and I let them in. Unless I see them before they get to the door and I'll have it already open.
lindap1229 04:41 AM 01-08-2016
I leave my door open at drop off and pick up time, otherwise it's locked. My parents just walk in. I do have a code for my door to unlock it but do not want to have to have to remember to remove the code on weekends. They can however, lock the door as they are leaving easily without the code.
ColorfulSunburst 04:41 AM 01-08-2016
Originally Posted by Provider_Manda:
Parents use my front door and I always keep it locked.
same here.
even more, I automatically lock the door when parents come in.
Blackcat31 05:12 AM 01-08-2016
Parents enter immediately into the coat/cubby room that is separated from the rest of the house by a half door.

Parents come and go through out the day so the door is always unlocked.

Heck, half the time when I leave at the end of the day to go home, I forget to lock the door.
Second Home 05:25 AM 01-08-2016
Parents use my front door . I have them knock or ring the doorbell ( they are not allowed to walk right in ) . and I open the door for them . My door is unlocked during pick up / drop off and locked during the day .
jenboo 05:54 AM 01-08-2016
We bought our house with aaahome daycare in mind. Parents come down the side yard and enter through the sliding glass door which leads directly to the Daycare room and kitchen.
I lock the door after the first drop off and unlock at the first pick up. I can always see when someone is coming. I did put a doorbell out there just in case someone shows up during nap or in the morning if I'm still getting ready
Controlled Chaos 08:15 AM 01-08-2016
Split level, (gates at top and bottom of stairs) door is always unlocked, parents enter and bring children down to daycare area and hand them over the gate to me there. I have bells on the door handle so I always hear them coming

At pick up they come down, I hand child over, we chat for a minute and then parent lets themselves out.
Lovisa 09:34 AM 01-08-2016
Door is locked throughout the day. Parents knock or ring door bell and I let them in.
Annalee 09:37 AM 01-08-2016
Door is unlocked for arrival...then locked at 8:00 AM. Parents text/call/knock when they arrive for pickup since the door is locked.
sharlan 09:37 AM 01-08-2016
Parents use my front door, but it is always locked. We have an automatic lock on the door. Kids are not allowed to touch the doorknob.

Parents ring the doorbell and I open the door for them.

For the first 20 years that I did daycare, I never locked my front door. I'm not sure we even had keys to the house. Parents just walked in.
kendallina 09:50 AM 01-08-2016
It's generally unlocked during drop off and pick up times. They give a little knock and walk in. The playroom is right when you enter the front door and I can always see people pull up in the driveway from the playroom window.
childcaremom 09:53 AM 01-08-2016
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
Split level, (gates at top and bottom of stairs) door is always unlocked, parents enter and bring children down to daycare area and hand them over the gate to me there. I have bells on the door handle so I always hear them coming

At pick up they come down, I hand child over, we chat for a minute and then parent lets themselves out.
I used to do this method. There was one family who would take forever to get out though (asking their child permission to get ready, etc) and once, dropped off the child, went back upstairs as if to leave, and then walked around the upper level of my home.

Now, the door remains locked. I meet the parents at the door, we say goodbye, and kids come in. At pick up, I have the little one ready 5-10 mins ahead of parent arrival and I bring them up. It is more work on my part but I no longer have people walking through my house, either.
nanglgrl 11:54 AM 01-08-2016
They come to my side door that leads directly down to the basement daycare. I have an alarm on the screen door so as soon as I hear that I go open the door. We also stay upstairs from 7:30-8:30 and 3:15-4 so I usually see their car pull up. The doors are always locked. My families all drop off/pick up at the same times every day but some are 7:30, some 8, 8:30 or 9 and pick up can be from 3-4. They usually stand outside and hand me their child or the child walks in, some parents step inside and chat a bit. My doors are always locked, it's a habit I have that drives my husband nuts.

We live in a safe neighborhood in a safe town but the town next to us is horrible with crime and every so often kids from that town come here and commit crimes. We had several houses broken into and a home invasion a few blocks over during the week around Christmas.

A long time ago I used to leave the doors unlocked and a father came to drop his son off WAY before my opening time. My husband left the door unlocked when he left for work and since my clients at that time were allowed to just walk in that's what this client did. I was still in bed and he came to my upstairs bedroom and woke me up...I was sleeping in my birthday suit (thankfully I was covered by a blanket)! Never again did I leave my doors unlocked after that.

Having the doors locked and being right there when they arrive has also helped with issues of children or parents damaging my property. In the past I had several instances of parents not holding on to my screen door on windy days (and it's an expensive door) causing us to have to replace a part that was around $100 at least twice. I also removed the doorbell on the side so children can't mess with it and since its on the side of my house next to the driveway and I'm right there the instant they open the door there is no reason for children to play with the landscaping.
Meeko 12:33 PM 01-08-2016
Locked all the time. Parents ring the bell and I open the door.

I personally feel that it is a security risk to have the door unlocked. Strangers could walk in.....I have had people look up my location and try and walk in because they are looking for daycare services. I open the door and tell them they have to make an appointment.

Non-custodial parents could walk in and snatch a child....etc.etc.

This is a daycare. But first and foremost is is a HOME. A private home and guests must be INVITED in.
Crazy8 12:50 PM 01-08-2016
Originally Posted by kendallina:
It's generally unlocked during drop off and pick up times. They give a little knock and walk in. The playroom is right when you enter the front door and I can always see people pull up in the driveway from the playroom window.
same here. I will keep the screen door locked between parents sometimes (if kids were near door) so then they just give a little knock and I unlock it.
mommiebookworm 05:42 PM 01-08-2016
They enter through the front door which is always unlocked. I only have one dcd who knocks and waits for me to answer. Everyone else just opens the door.
Jazzii 10:32 AM 01-09-2016
We are an in home daycare, and in the basement. Door is locked at all times. Parents knock and we go and answer the door. Our parents have VERY varied schedules and drop off on a regular day is from 6:30-9:30
Controlled Chaos 11:43 AM 01-09-2016
Originally Posted by Meeko:
Locked all the time. Parents ring the bell and I open the door.

I personally feel that it is a security risk to have the door unlocked. Strangers could walk in.....I have had people look up my location and try and walk in because they are looking for daycare services. I open the door and tell them they have to make an appointment.

Non-custodial parents could walk in and snatch a child....etc.etc.

This is a daycare. But first and foremost is is a HOME. A private home and guests must be INVITED in.
This is where I think it is neat how varied we all are. Just like we all run very different types of daycares we have different types of communities, clients and families. My just recently started locking our house when we leave. When I grew up, the joke was everyone in town had a key to the house but me Literally the fed ex guy had a key. Lenny was our delivery guy for over a decade and if a box was left on the porch the neighbors dog would pee on it Everyone I know knocks on my door and then lets themselves in along with a hollar of "everyone have pants on?!" That's just how we roll. Obviously if there was a security risk (estranged non custodial parent etc) I would take the proper measures to keep the child safe.
Unregistered 03:03 PM 01-09-2016
thanks for input, everyone! i think i'm going to keep my front door locked at all times. seems easiest and least amount startling with all the things everyone has said.
284878 04:31 PM 01-09-2016
I have a driveway alarm plus contracted hours and the door locked. I hear the alarm get the child/ren around and meet them at the door when they knock.
AmyKidsCo 07:15 PM 01-12-2016
My child care entrance is all around to the back of the house so usually I see their heads go by the windows as they go up the driveway.

My other door are always locked but the back door is unlocked most of the time.
Meeko 12:52 PM 01-13-2016
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
This is where I think it is neat how varied we all are. Just like we all run very different types of daycares we have different types of communities, clients and families. My just recently started locking our house when we leave. When I grew up, the joke was everyone in town had a key to the house but me Literally the fed ex guy had a key. Lenny was our delivery guy for over a decade and if a box was left on the porch the neighbors dog would pee on it Everyone I know knocks on my door and then lets themselves in along with a hollar of "everyone have pants on?!" That's just how we roll. Obviously if there was a security risk (estranged non custodial parent etc) I would take the proper measures to keep the child safe.
My youngest is 19 and my oldest is 33. Our door was a revolving one for many years...with an endless stream of kids and then teenagers. But they are different. They are friends (some considered family) and I have no problem with people coming and going.

Clients are different. They are not my friends or relatives and don't have the same rights. My son's best friend and family walk in the back door with yells of "Hi Mom!" But I would term any daycare parent who walked right in.
Reply Up