Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Should I Terminate?
MommyD 05:11 PM 11-18-2010
I operate a small child care, I take 3 kids in (besides my daughter). If I take more I am not legal any more. I have 2 Full-time kids and one Part-time (2 days/week). There has not been much interest in anyone filling the other 3 day PT spot (I have been advertising since mid August). Now I may have the opportunity to enroll a FT baby.

Would you terminate a PT child for a FT one in such a small operation? I really need the income, or I may not be able to keep the child care open.

The other up side to this potential client is the child is an infant, versus the PT dcg who is 27 months and I only keep the kid's until they are 3.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, I am feeling horrible with the idea of letting this dcg go, but I think I would rather deal with that guilt than not be able to continue my business. Ah, the stress of being a business owner.
Lianne 05:37 PM 11-18-2010
You need to do what is best for your business because that will be what is best for your family. If you can earn more money by terminating a part time client for a full time one, then it makes sense to do so. However, consider what kind of clients the new ones might be (easy going and flexible or rigid and unbending?) and how this new child will fit into your current group. Is the child needy and fussy or calm and laid back? Can you easily meet his needs without neglecting the other children or feeling stressed trying to cope with everyone? Usually the new family will fit into your current group without issue but it's still important to consider. Ultimately only you know what is best for your sanity, your business and your family.

In my policies I have stated that I will accept part time clients into care at my discretion and that full time care/clients are always given priority over part time care/clients. It just makes financial sense.
Unregistered 06:21 PM 11-18-2010
I would offer the original family the full time spot first, letting them know that you are no longer accepting part-time clients. If they decline, then yes, I would move on to the full time client.

I had a similar situation and the clinet did opt to stay and pay the fulltime rate.
kendallina 07:31 PM 11-18-2010
I agree with PP. You have to do what you can to keep your business open. I know some providers here have part-time parents that pay full-time rates. Any chance this family would go for that...or is there a compromise that you could make with this family in the middle?
momma2girls 05:27 AM 11-19-2010
I agree with these posts!! I would offer the fulltime spot first to the parttimers, then tell them, you need a fulltimer in that fulltime spot. Then look for a fulltime child to fill it in. Then give notice to your parttime family, if they choose not to take the fulltime spot.
missnikki 06:17 AM 11-19-2010
YOu said you have advertised for the spot since August. I'm sure they will understand the situation, as you have been more than patient waiting to fill the 3 day spot. I agree, offer it to them, and if they don't go for it, take the full time baby.
SilverSabre25 06:23 AM 11-19-2010
I like the idea of putting in the contract that full-timers get priority over part-timers, and that a part-time spot can be filled by a full-timer, with the part-time family getting the chance to pay the full-time price. Yes, I think I am going to have to add that in to my contract...

Obviously, I agree with the pps that it's a good idea.
legomom922 06:56 AM 11-19-2010
How do you charge this pt family and how often/hrs/days are they there? I was just curious, because maybe you could just increase their daily rate?? I get fT time pay for pt.
Unregistered 07:52 AM 11-19-2010
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I like the idea of putting in the contract that full-timers get priority over part-timers, and that a part-time spot can be filled by a full-timer, with the part-time family getting the chance to pay the full-time price. Yes, I think I am going to have to add that in to my contract...

Obviously, I agree with the pps that it's a good idea.
I do have in my contract that part timers may loose their time slot if that time can be taken by full time. It is a good business practice.
MommyD 10:27 AM 11-19-2010
Thank you everyone!!

I have talked to the Mom in the past, when the other part-time child left to leave this vacancy. I asked her at that time, since she had the Full-time spot to choose from, would she want to increase the days or have different days, she said they could not afford it, they were happy with what they had. I will offer it to her again and mention that it is just not working for me, but I don't anticipate this family will be able to pay any more than they are currently, and they have another baby due in June or July, so I am sure money may get tighter soon.

I have in my policies, "Wait List: Preference will be given to Full Time enrollment (30 hours or more per week)...The following have priority on our wait list: 1) Siblings of children currently enrolled, 2) Infants 6 months or younger, 3) Community", So nothing about a child on the wait list vs. actually enrolled. I am adding a line or two to make that more clear for myself and my clients.

One more detail... How much notice would you give?

My Policy Guide states, "A parent/guardian may withdraw their child/ren by giving a minimum of 4 weeks written notice."

My contract states, "AS YOUR CHILD'S CARE CENTER, WE ARE COMMITIED TO: give at least two weeks notice to parents of any changes in policy, fee schedule or other matters affecting the parent's agreement for child care." It also says, "AS A CHILD CARE PARENT, I AM EXPECTED AND AGREE TO: read and abide by all policies and procedures established in (child care's) Family Policy Guide."

Apparently, I overlooked adding a blanket statement for reasons of termination on my end. I have in there all kinds of things about respect, and child behavior, etc, but nothing just saying I have the right to for any reason. I will also be clarifying this point.

I was thinking 4 week notice, just to be fair. Does that sound good, or could I go with the "2 weeks notice...of any change in...other matters affecting the parent's agreement..."?

You have all made me feel like much less of the "big bad wolf" for even considering terminating this family! Thank you!
Tags:terminate
Reply Up