Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sometimes I Wish I Could Be A Fly On The Wall
SilverSabre25 07:24 AM 01-18-2011
at the dcks house. Sometimes the behavior I see really, really makes me wonder what the home environment is like. One girl in particular who doesn't play and spends all her time trying to get places/do things that she's not supposed to, I have been watching this morning and I suspect that she's kept on a tight leash at home and not allowed to explore much--like she's gated into a small area or kept in a playpen or something. There are others who I've wondered about, but she's the main one.

Anyone else wonder this about your own dcks?
Zoe 09:02 AM 01-18-2011
Yes! I would LOVE to see how my 2.5 year old dcg acts at home. I'm sure she runs the roost and is just as rude as can be with her parents. The moment she gets picked up, she starts to whine, which she never does here. I'll bet she gets what she wants, when she wants. It's sad, but it would probably make me laugh at how much better she is at my home than at her own!
elle73 09:40 AM 01-18-2011
I always wonder what they are like at home, I have a dcg that starts hitting her parents and screaming no while they are trying to get her ready to go and she never does that here, also have another dcg that starts whining and crying about her socks being too tight or her shoes not being on right and she will refuse to get ready and then makes her dad carry her out and she's 4, she has never tried doing this with me.
countrymom 10:26 AM 01-18-2011
me too, like the kid who locked the kids in the bathroom and woundn't let them out because they were bad, or the tattltailing girl and brother (the dinner problem kids) I wonder what goes on in these homes.
BentleysBands 02:59 AM 01-19-2011
LOL yes yes and yes! Drama girl I know first hand since I have been to their house several times.makes me gag LOL
Unregistered 06:19 AM 01-19-2011
From my experience(30) years, these are the children that only get negative attention at home.
Michelle 09:05 AM 01-19-2011
yep , I used to be all worried about what the parents thought of how clean my house was and how they discipline (cough cough) or not!
what their home was like ....and then went to a few of the dck's birthday parties and realized how good for the kids that they are in daycare!
E Daycare 10:09 AM 01-19-2011
Originally Posted by BentleysBands:
LOL yes yes and yes! Drama girl I know first hand since I have been to their house several times.makes me gag LOL
I was scared to go to one of my previous dck house. My husband was friends with the father and they always made a point to NEVER EVER have us over. So we kinda figured things were a bit....off. Especially because of flea bites and the same band aids on for 4 days at a time.

With one of my current dck I wonder who watches her. Yesterday she didnt arrive till 11:30 (after a check up call mind you) because the father was still sleeping at 11am. She'll be a year Friday but is a preemie and still a baby baby. So if mom has been at work since 6am and all the older kids are at school, who is watching this little one while dad sleeps? My son is up and at 'em by 8am every day.

Id love to really know what goes on behind some closed doors.
Annette 10:14 AM 01-19-2011
I have found the children that act this way are receiving mostly negative attention at home, that is the only attention they get is when they are being reprimanded or are in trouble.
Unregistered 10:35 AM 01-19-2011
I think that would be a double edged sword for me. As much as I think that knowing about a child's home life is important for providers to be aware of, it would be awkward to know what was going on, especially if it was something like the child was getting their physical needs met and weren't being abused in the textbook definition, but still seeing that the child isn't getting their emotional needs met. I think that would really make me have a hard time being civil to the parents.
E Daycare 10:49 AM 01-19-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I think that would be a double edged sword for me. As much as I think that knowing about a child's home life is important for providers to be aware of, it would be awkward to know what was going on, especially if it was something like the child was getting their physical needs met and weren't being abused in the textbook definition, but still seeing that the child isn't getting their emotional needs met. I think that would really make me have a hard time being civil to the parents.
Same here. Some things the parents do when I have to deal with them for the short time I do make me want to shake them when they come in my door (the parents, not the kids). If I knew more I don't know how I wouldn't lose my mind.
Blackcat31 11:31 AM 01-19-2011
I agree that it would sometimes be nice to see what really goes on behind all the lines like, "Oh, we don't do that at home"
or "He never acts like that at home"
or "We have rules, bedtimes, consequences ,blah, blah, blah at our house"

to all of which I call bulls**t because after caring for someone's child for atleast a week we know exactly what really goes on at home......and I am not sure I really want to know any more
Tags:parent home environment
Reply Up