Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What to Do with Child's Things After a Term?
spedmommy4 06:44 AM 03-27-2016
I had a family leave my care recently. The family transitioned from subsidies to private pay and wanted a deep discount on care. I wouldn't offer it so they ended up leaving abruptly and now I have a large box of his things. It includes jackets, rain boots, and even a paid for school picture order.

I emailed dcm at the beginning of last week that she needed to pick it up by Friday the 25th. I didn't indicate what I would to with it if she failed to pick up. I'm not sure if I should send another email with a shorter deadline and a clause saying I donate unclaimed items or just get rid of it since she didn't bother to pick up. WWYD?
Blackcat31 07:17 AM 03-27-2016
Originally Posted by spedmommy4:
I had a family leave my care recently. The family transitioned from subsidies to private pay and wanted a deep discount on care. I wouldn't offer it so they ended up leaving abruptly and now I have a large box of his things. It includes jackets, rain boots, and even a paid for school picture order.

I emailed dcm at the beginning of last week that she needed to pick it up by Friday the 25th. I didn't indicate what I would to with it if she failed to pick up. I'm not sure if I should send another email with a shorter deadline and a clause saying I donate unclaimed items or just get rid of it since she didn't bother to pick up. WWYD?
Do you know if she actually got the e-mail or not?

Have you tried an alternate method of contacting her?
Maybe text or call her? Certified letter?

Id also consider contacting other family members too if she listed any.

I'd personally give about 30 days max as a pick up window before donating or tossing anything.

I wouldnt feel comfortable tossing/donating someone's belongings until then.
Snowmom 08:04 AM 03-27-2016
I would (and have) texted parents:
"DCK items are bagged with their name on it and placed on my front porch on Friday (date) from Xam-Xpm (through their normal pick up time).
If items are not picked up by Friday Xpm, then they will be held for 7 days then discarded unless you contact me to make arrangements before the 7 day deadline."
spedmommy4 08:15 AM 03-27-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Do you know if she actually got the e-mail or not?

Have you tried an alternate method of contacting her?
Maybe text or call her? Certified letter?

Id also consider contacting other family members too if she listed any.

I'd personally give about 30 days max as a pick up window before donating or tossing anything.

I wouldnt feel comfortable tossing/donating someone's belongings until then.
Yes, she did reply to the email. Only parents are listed on his application and both of them are annoyed that I wouldn't give them the rates they asked for. I have all his stuff in a box in the closet right now. Honestly, I kind of want to be done with this family and I'd mail it if they hadn't left so much stuff.
LysesKids 08:29 AM 03-27-2016
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
I would (and have) texted parents:
"DCK items are bagged with their name on it and placed on my front porch on Friday (date) from Xam-Xpm (through their normal pick up time).
If items are not picked up by Friday Xpm, then they will be held for 7 days then discarded unless you contact me to make arrangements before the 7 day deadline."
This is what I do... I have it written in the policies also, so it's not like they can say I didn't know; I have a set age group & all my kids age out within 18 months of starting. I want parents to be aware of what happens when they leaves I make sure they know upfront at interview
Unregistered 12:08 PM 03-27-2016
Make it easy for them to pick up. They probably don't feel like having polite conversation ☺
Thriftylady 03:55 PM 03-27-2016
My handbook says items left will be donated or disposed of 7 days after the last day of care. But I have one that I termed almost a year ago I just "donated" the stuff to my extra clothes box last week. I have one that termed for cheaper care in Feb. Still have their stuff. I did run into her at the local grocery store two weeks ago, she asked if I still have it and said she would call to come get it. She hasn't yet. I have it marked for donation on April 1st at this point. I figure that is long enough. Not that I want to be a PITA, but this isn't a storage facility either.
Jazzii 05:15 PM 03-27-2016
If you have made 2+ efforts, chuck it. Save rain boots and extra clothes for your own stash of emergency/back up clothe .
CityGarden 06:56 PM 03-27-2016
You have their address if you really want to be done with them how about asking a friend or your husband to drop it off
spedmommy4 11:43 PM 03-27-2016
Originally Posted by CityGarden:
You have their address if you really want to be done with them how about asking a friend or your husband to drop it off
The address they have listed is in a rough area of town, and it's a 40 minute round trip drive from my house. I'm not sure if the dcm lives there or she just used a family members address for her subsidy. My location was pretty out of the way for this family if the address I have is correct.
spedmommy4 11:46 PM 03-27-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Make it easy for them to pick up. They probably don't feel like having polite conversation ☺
I think you're right. I think I'll try putting it on the front porch and letting them know they can pick up until xx date. That cuts out the awkward conversation for both of us.
Ariana 07:33 AM 03-28-2016
Originally Posted by spedmommy4:
I think you're right. I think I'll try putting it on the front porch and letting them know they can pick up until xx date. That cuts out the awkward conversation for both of us.
This is what I would do as well. Let her know it will be on the front step until X date and then the items will be donated.

As a precaution I would just store it somewhere for a month before actually donating it.
Alisyn 07:43 AM 03-28-2016
Keeping items for a period of seven days is acceptable, but as someone said, hang on to them a little longer for just in case...ya just never know
Tags:termination
Reply Up