Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Infant Screaming to Sleep
BrynleeJean 07:45 AM 10-11-2018
I’m so embarrassed

My new enrollment, 5 months, and only enrollment so far in this new house

His parents live right across the street and he screams in his crib.
I do the back to sleep thing just like I’m supposed to and have tried putting him down to sleep when I think he’s getting tired and tried also letting him get extra tired and even swinging and falling asleep and trying to move him.
He wakes up and screams in that crib for at least 10-15 mins
I feel the neighbors can hear him and like I’m gonna be reported as a terrible care provider but I legally can’t have him sleep in a swing or on the floor where he’s passed out before!
Soo frustrating!
Do I just let him scream and maybe the neighbors can hear him?
Or idk what other options I have. He gets so over tired he won’t play or do activities he just cries on the floor or do anything else.
mommyneedsadayoff 08:00 AM 10-11-2018
Originally Posted by BrynleeJean:
I’m so embarrassed

I do the back to sleep thing just like I’m supposed to and have tried putting him down to sleep when I think he’s getting tired and tried also letting him get extra tired and even swinging and falling asleep and trying to move him.
I feel the neighbors can hear him and like I’m gonna be reported as a terrible care provider but I legally can’t have him sleep in a swing or on the floor where he’s passed out before!
Soo frustrating!
Or idk what other options I have. He gets so over tired he won’t play or do activities he just cries on the floor or do anything else.
What kind of schedule is he on? I find an eat, play, sleep schedule is best and for a five month old, they would be on a 3-4 hr schedule. The more consistent, the better. Putting to bed awake, and before they are overtired. For example, a 3 hr schedule would be like this:
Eat 7 am
Play 7:30-8:30
Sleep 8:30-10 am
(Repeat)
This breaks the day into groups and makes it easy to wean. 7-10 am, 10-1 PM, 1-4 PM, 4 feed, go home.

Let parents know he is having a tough time self-soothing, and ask how they do things at home. Make it clear that you cannot let him sleep in a swing and he must go on his back in a crib, so it is very helpful if they do the same at home. The main thing is going to be consistency at your house, and I have found that depending on the baby, it can take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks to get them adjusted. But I literally do the same thing every day, as well as the same thing for our nap routine. They thrive on consistency and knowing what to expect, and I make naptime a very inviting part of the day, versus stressful. Hope this helps!

* just to add, I do not rescue babies from their cribs. If he wakes up 15 minutes into nap screaming, he gets to stay in his crib and finish out his nap. Of course, I do check and make sure everything is okay, but with video monitors, that makes it a lot easier so that I do not disrupt his nap time or go in the room and give him the false sense that I'm going to take him out of his crib and make it worse.
BrynleeJean 08:10 AM 10-11-2018
Yes I’ve read the eat play sleep schedule on here so he gets here around 7-7:30 and I feed him around 7:30-8:00 and he plays and usually gets cranky around 9:00.
mommyneedsadayoff 08:20 AM 10-11-2018
Yes I’ve read the eat play sleep schedule on here so he gets here around 7-7:30 and I feed him around 7:30-8:00 and he plays and usually gets cranky around 9:00.
What time does he wake up though. The schedule starts from waking, so if he is up at 6 or 6:30, I would feed right at arrival (ideally he would be dropped off already fed), then first nap would be closer to 8 or 8:30. He should still be happy and playful when he goes for nap...dont wait for the cranky.
BrynleeJean 09:51 AM 10-11-2018
I’m not sure when he wakes up. I know it differs from day to day. Dad said this morning “he slept in a little bit” which is why they arrive at 7:35 instead of 7:15 like normal.
I guess I can start asking.
So they should wake , eat immediately, play for an hour and go down?
He barely makes it an hour though after the first feeding maybe just because he was getting ready with dad at home for a half hour or whatever
Ariana 10:29 AM 10-11-2018
Do you have a loud fan or sound machine? That might help drown out the sound a bit.
Josiegirl 04:01 AM 10-12-2018
I have an almost 5 mo who seems to be having a bit of trouble adjusting to any kind of a schedule. They've cut his weeks from 5 days to 3, which sadly, will not help his adjustment here. I notice on his 3rd day of the week here, he's more inclined to be happy, adjusting better but then Tuesday he comes back and we start all over again. Plus he constantly has his fingers or fist in his mouth so we're not sure if his gums are starting to bother him. Normally, if I notice he's acting tired and I lay him in his crib, he'll fall asleep in about 10 minutes but right now, the problem I have is he doesn't sleep longer than 15 minutes.
Have you tried a sleepsack on your little guy? For some, they can work a miracle.
The 16 mo I have, was taking good naps but now he wakes up just a little after 40 minutes or so, then starts full on screaming and refuses to go back to sleep. He's the one I'm sure neighbors hear and wonder why I don't rescue him. Truth is if I bring him out then he'll wake everybody else up.
rosieteddy 06:12 AM 10-12-2018
All great suggestions.Iwould also close the window and use a sound machine and or fan or music.Let parents know your limitations such as no swing sleeping ,back only ect.
May DeLosh 07:56 PM 10-14-2018
I’m so embarrassed

Soo frustrating!
Hi, my name is May, the director of May's Bilingual Preschool. I have more than 20 years of child care experiences. Here are what I do to help children to sleep:

1). The most common three reasons children don't take naps are: having a wet diaper, being hungry, and being physically uncomfortable. Check on these three things first.

2). There can be other reasons, such as different temperatures at home and at daycare, missing Mom and Dad, never slept in a crib before, etc. Discuss the possible reasons with the parents and try to come up with solutions together.

3). Build a routine for napping. It can be something like this: change the child's diaper, feed him/her, play for a little while, read a book to him/her, put the child in the crib, turn on relaxing music, rub the child's back with the music beats to calm him/her down...

I have found that back-rubbing is very effective, because everyone loves back rubbing. When you rub the back, the child will stop moving to enjoy it. After he/she has stopped moving for a while, they get sleepy and then fall asleep.

Keep the routine and don't be frustrated if the child cannot nap for the first several times. He/she will be able to sleep in a crib eventually.

Pestle 08:28 PM 10-14-2018
I have had two kids who can only sleep after a good 5-10 minutes of hysterics. Both kids came with warnings from the parents that this was the case. No elaborate routines; just check that they're fed, clean, and comfortable, and dim lights, with sound or music optional.

One of them is 2 now and has outgrown it.
Tags:cio, cry it out, cry-it-out, crying - solutions, easy method, ferberizing, graduated extinction, infant - crying, sleep - training
Reply Up