Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>In Home Daycare - Timeframe for Licensing?
Unregistered 11:04 AM 10-16-2019
What state are you in and how long did your licensing process take from application to inspection to approval? Trying to understand how far in advance of opening I need to plan on getting the daycare areas ready for inspection.
Blackcat31 11:35 AM 10-16-2019
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
What state are you in and how long did your licensing process take from application to inspection to approval? Trying to understand how far in advance of opening I need to plan on getting the daycare areas ready for inspection.
Each state is different. Some don't require licensing and some do. Some require a license prior to providing care for even one child.

What state are you in?
Cat Herder 11:40 AM 10-16-2019
What BC said, plus it depends if you have already met the training and background check requirements as well. Some requirements can take up to a year to complete before submitting the application. Knowing your state will help people answer your question better.
DaveA 11:43 AM 10-16-2019
Like previous posters said- it's going to vary widely. In my case (Illinois) my opening went pretty typically- applied in January, opened in May on a permit pending license, and had my license in August.
Josiegirl 02:25 AM 10-17-2019
One of my former dcms opened her dc before I closed. Every time she thought she was done, she found out she had more to do. Plus lots of trainings before she could open. Add to that all the phone tags, rescheduling of appts., etc. It took her about 3 months before she was legal. But with our state regs. she could take 2 families and not be registered so that helped. She still has to complete a 45 hr. course within her 1st year. We're in Vt.
Good luck!!
284878 05:20 AM 10-17-2019
I believe I started the application in January and got my approval beginning of September. There was a waiting period in the Summer where I had to wait for orientation. The orientation default location for my county was over an hour away and in an area I was completely unfamiliar with. So I had to wait a month to get into a closer location in another county.
Then there was updating to my playard to bring it up to code. Once I resubmitted that my house is ready it took two weeks to get approved.
At that time they didn't do the inspection until the daycare was open for 90 days. So I did not get my inspection until beginning of December. Which was about a year from the time that I decided to open the daycare and started researching the how to.

Since then at the laws have been changed in the inspection happens before you can start caring for children.
Tags:licensing regulations
Reply Up