Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Visiting Policies
Daycaregranny 08:39 PM 11-16-2013
This might be a strange question but, my daughter babysits for a couple of children every day as does my daughter in law. They both live very close to me and have started bringing their children to play at my daycare every day. Honestly, I don't mind at all and neither do my parents. Honestly, it's kind of nice. They both have been listed on my dhhs license as back up for me if and when needed. These visits have become so consistent that I make sure their are enough craft supplies and such to have the four children they watch included in daily activities, as well as have a place for their belongings. My numbers are still within state guidelines. I thought about having their children enroll in my daycare and hire them as employees but the payroll/tax is insane! So are they allowed to visit and participate, legally?
blandino 08:44 PM 11-16-2013
I think it is definitely going to matter which state you are in.

However, I think because both of them are listed with DHHS as substitutes, they would meet all of the requirements needed to be in the daycare.

In my state, it would be fine as long as your numbers are within legal limits - but I would probably want enrollment cards/immunization records for all children in the daycare. So basically, have the same paperwork that I need for all my DCK. Just to be on the safe side.
Starburst 09:29 PM 11-19-2013
You could look into seeing if your state would allow some type of discount/ wage garnishing rule (you offer them free child care for a flat rate salary or less pay per hour).

Or you could just pay them what legally needs to be paid and just have them "pay you back" for the dc spots for their children. My old boss told her daughter (one of her main assistants) that if she had a child and needed to bring her child during work hours she would still charge her but would give her the friends and family disount. I'm not sure if she was going to take it out of her check or just write her the full check and have her pay it back after she cashed it. Just make sure if you do that to keep track of their payments for tax statements.

But then again (depending on the age of their children and your state laws) if they don't count for your numbers, then that might not work because the kids might be old enough to be considered "junior helpers". But I think they would probably still need vaccination record for licensing.
MamaBearCanada 04:36 AM 11-20-2013
Originally Posted by Starburst:
You could look into seeing if your state would allow some type of discount/ wage garnishing rule (you offer them free child care for a flat rate salary or less pay per hour).

Or you could just pay them what legally needs to be paid and just have them "pay you back" for the dc spots for their children. My old boss told her daughter (one of her main assistants) that if she had a child and needed to bring her child during work hours she would still charge her but would give her the friends and family disount. I'm not sure if she was going to take it out of her check or just write her the full check and have her pay it back after she cashed it. Just make sure if you do that to keep track of their payments for tax statements.

But then again (depending on the age of their children and your state laws) if they don't count for your numbers, then that might not work because the kids might be old enough to be considered "junior helpers". But I think they would probably still need vaccination record for licensing.

I think she is talking about her daughters' DCKs not family children so the wage garnishing wouldn't apply in this situation.
Familycare71 05:01 AM 11-20-2013
In my state I can do that as long as I am not the adult in charge- so as long as your daughter or DIL stays it would be fine.
Play Care 05:30 AM 11-20-2013
Originally Posted by Familycare71:
In my state I can do that as long as I am not the adult in charge- so as long as your daughter or DIL stays it would be fine.
Yes and no. I was just reading a reg that basically questioned why you would have these types of visitors during the work day. And they were pretty specific about what was allowed, when, and why. I'll see if I can dig it up.

If I were the OP I would check my regs and be prepared for it to not be okay - especially since it seems like a scheduled thing. If my licensor showed up during one of these visits I would not be surprised if there were a lot of questions and some discouragement of them continuing. I think a lot of it goes back to appropriate supervision and the states are clamping down on what they might view as providers "coffee klatching" while they are supposed to be working.
SSWonders 06:21 AM 11-20-2013
In Massachusetts those children that they bring with them have to be included in your head count and we have to have all the same paperwork filled out, and signed by parents, as if they were enrolled in our program. The adults would also have to be "approved assistants" and not back up. I'm not sure if back up is the same as approved where you are.
littlemissmuffet 06:29 AM 11-20-2013
I hope it is allowed for you.

I know how awesome these visits are for you because my sister also operates a home daycare down the road from me and we get together with all of our daycare kids pretty often - especially in the summer. It's great for us to basically have a co-worker for the day or portion of the day, someone to share ideas with while actually in the middle of a particular situation, someone to learn from by watching how they run their childcare -- and it's great for the kiddos to mix with other children, age groups and have another adult to look up to.
Willow 06:34 AM 11-20-2013
In my state all children on the premises count. If licensing stops by I have to be able to provide paperwork (enrollments, permission to administer, emergency contacts, vaccination records etc) to the licensor for each child regardless of actual enrollment.

In any event, I wouldn't be allowed to have any undocumented kiddos in my home during hours of operation. If you could get all of that information as well as stay within your licensed ratios then it wouldn't be an issue.
melilley 06:46 AM 11-20-2013
I don't think that there is anything wrong with it as long as you or the other provider doesn't go over your/her capacity/ratio on your license. I would make copies of all the required paperwork to leave over there. Your best bet would be to call your licensor to cover yourself and make sure it's ok in case, god forbid, something does happen. I don't see any problem with it, especially if you treat it as if you enrolled them and all the necessary paperwork is present, it wouldn't be any different than if they were enrolled.

It would be soooo nice if I could do this, but for me it would be almost impossible because I would go over my ratio, even if there was another adult.
Blackcat31 10:34 AM 11-20-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
In my state all children on the premises count. If licensing stops by I have to be able to provide paperwork (enrollments, permission to administer, emergency contacts, vaccination records etc) to the licensor for each child regardless of actual enrollment.

In any event, I wouldn't be allowed to have any undocumented kiddos in my home during hours of operation. If you could get all of that information as well as stay within your licensed ratios then it wouldn't be an issue.
yep.

I would definitely check with your licensing agency just to be sure it's ok.
Heidi 10:55 AM 11-20-2013
In my state, as long as you are within your maximum number, you're fine. As a precaution, I would have your daughters carry the required paperwork for their children. They can just make copies of their forms (or pilfer state forms, if they don't have any), and keep a binder in their vehicles. That way, if your licenser shows up, they can show them that the children are enrolled in their programs, and that all the emergency contact info is available.

Side note:

If you are on the food program, whatever you do, do NOT claim any snacks you feed these children unless they are ENROLLED in YOUR program! Not saying you would, but if we had a provider here in WI who got some bad information from her food program, ran with it, and ended up in big ole trouble.
Leanna 10:56 AM 11-20-2013
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Yes and no. I was just reading a reg that basically questioned why you would have these types of visitors during the work day. And they were pretty specific about what was allowed, when, and why. I'll see if I can dig it up.

If I were the OP I would check my regs and be prepared for it to not be okay - especially since it seems like a scheduled thing. If my licensor showed up during one of these visits I would not be surprised if there were a lot of questions and some discouragement of them continuing. I think a lot of it goes back to appropriate supervision and the states are clamping down on what they might view as providers "coffee klatching" while they are supposed to be working.
Please post if you find it!!!! Thanks.
Unregistered 02:38 PM 11-20-2013
I am in BC Can .....
if it was regular
the women would have police checks and the children enrolled with all paper work

and all parents would know both yours and theirs

not only for licensing ..but for insurance !!

more children more fun
more helpers more fun and more you can do !
grandmom 03:03 PM 11-20-2013
Licensing is one issue.

What if one of those children gets hurt? Who's insurance claim will it be.

I'd be really uncomfortable with daily visitors I wasn't legally responsible for.
Tags:policies, visiting
Reply Up