Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Tax Statements For Separated/Divorced Parents….
Crazy8 06:42 AM 01-31-2014
believe it or not I am dealing with my first ever divorced family. I've had a few single mom's over the past 12 years but dad was never in the picture. Now I have a family I have had for years (thru their 3 kids) split up last year and I am wondering how to split the tax statement. Problem is after summer off only dcd came back, he has been paying me for his 2 days a week. DCM was going to use someone else on her days but after that didn't work out she came back to me and is paying for her 3 days a week. No problems with that arrangment right now but how the heck do I split up the tax statement? I could just give them each a statement for their days (they pay me separately so I have that info) BUT prior to Sept. (Jan-June) they were paying jointly. WWYD for a tax statement?
Leigh 06:49 AM 01-31-2014
I would give them ONE statement (2 copies) for the joint payments, and give each their own statement from when they started paying separately, and let them work it out themselves.
Blackcat31 06:50 AM 01-31-2014
I'd give the statement to the parent that has primary custody.

Let them sort it out.

It isn't YOUR responsibility.

Because technically, we only provide our EIN numbers and the year end totals most of us provide is just a courtesy.

So I would stay out of the it and give one statement and let the parents figure out who is claiming what.
Cat Herder 07:05 AM 01-31-2014
One statement.

The parents Court Order will work out the rest.
Crazy8 07:32 AM 01-31-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I'd give the statement to the parent that has primary custody.

Let them sort it out.

It isn't YOUR responsibility.

Because technically, we only provide our EIN numbers and the year end totals most of us provide is just a courtesy.

So I would stay out of the it and give one statement and let the parents figure out who is claiming what.
neither has primary custody at this point, divorce is not final yet - they are 50/50, kids stay with dad 3-4 days a week and mom 3-4 days a week.

Are you saying we don't need to give them totals? I do not provide receipts all year, this statement at end of year (or when they request it) is their receipt. I feel like I need to provide it.
Blackcat31 07:36 AM 01-31-2014
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
neither has primary custody at this point, divorce is not final yet - they are 50/50, kids stay with dad 3-4 days a week and mom 3-4 days a week.

Are you saying we don't need to give them totals? I do not provide receipts all year, this statement at end of year (or when they request it) is their receipt. I feel like I need to provide it.
Yes, I am saying you do NOT need to give year end totals.

As a provider you are only required to supply your EIN/SS# and ONLY if the parent brings you a W10 form to fill out.

Most providers give year end totals because they have access to those totals via MMK software but it isn't something you HAVE to do. Some also do it because they don't want the parent claiming more than they actually paid but I don't stress over that because I keep pretty accurate records and do give a receipt with every payment.

Those receipts are what the parent uses to total up their totals themselves. I print off a W10 with my EIN on it and that's that.

Here is Tom Copeland's blog about year end receipts:
http://www.tomcopelandblog.com/2011/...-receipts.html

HTH
mema 07:43 AM 01-31-2014
Would depend on the family and how "good" they are. If they are a great family, I would probably give them each a copy of their together and then their own for the last part of the year. If they are not such a good family, I probably wouldn't do anything unless they asked for it. I'm in a mood lately, so that might be my reasoning
Crazy8 07:49 AM 01-31-2014
Originally Posted by mema:
Would depend on the family and how "good" they are. If they are a great family, I would probably give them each a copy of their together and then their own for the last part of the year. If they are not such a good family, I probably wouldn't do anything unless they asked for it. I'm in a mood lately, so that might be my reasoning
LOL, they are/were always an awesome family, I had all 3 of their kids for many years, never a problem, no late payments, no late pick ups etc. I am disappointed in the way/reasons for the divorce but that isn't really my business and I stay out of all that!
Tags:divorced parents, statements, tax id number, year-end paperwork
Reply Up