Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Assistant Situation
organicdclady 12:54 PM 01-12-2016
I am on my third assistant in less than a year. I finally found someone who works amazing with the kids, is here on time and brings no drama whatsoever. The kids and I love her to pieces. She is very part time, 15 hours per week. As she is a student this works well for her. I was struggling to find things for her to do as it was, but really needed someone for when I do school pick ups.
I've had a blended family of three dck for about 7 months that suddenly pulled out due to my "unfair payment policy"...don't get me started on that one.
It is going to be a huge stretch to continue paying her $150/week. I really only need about 4 hours/week until I can fill those spots. I don't want to lose her but can't see paying her when I have only 4 children in the afternoons and can't actually afford it. It is a must that I have someone here with the infants while I pick up. I feel like I am backed against a wall and don't know where to turn. What would you do?
daycare 01:15 PM 01-12-2016
Originally Posted by organicdclady:
I am on my third assistant in less than a year. I finally found someone who works amazing with the kids, is here on time and brings no drama whatsoever. The kids and I love her to pieces. She is very part time, 15 hours per week. As she is a student this works well for her. I was struggling to find things for her to do as it was, but really needed someone for when I do school pick ups.
I've had a blended family of three dck for about 7 months that suddenly pulled out due to my "unfair payment policy"...don't get me started on that one.
It is going to be a huge stretch to continue paying her $150/week. I really only need about 4 hours/week until I can fill those spots. I don't want to lose her but can't see paying her when I have only 4 children in the afternoons and can't actually afford it. It is a must that I have someone here with the infants while I pick up. I feel like I am backed against a wall and don't know where to turn. What would you do?
ive been in your shoes and I have just had to work hard to fill the spots and eat the loss. I have 6 months of pay roll saved if this ever happened.
Brittany 01:24 PM 01-12-2016
I haven't had this happen, however it sounds like she is a really great fit. I would definitely keep her on if you can. Hopefully you will fill your spots asap. Good help is hard to find, and someone you actually get along with is a blessing.

If you financially absolutely can not afford it, before letting her go I would talk with her. She may be willing to cut back to 10hrs until you fill one or two spots. However you have to be really careful that it doesn't cause resentment, and she may say no and leave anyways.
spedmommy4 05:27 PM 01-12-2016
I agree with daycare. It is sooo hard to find someone good. If you can eat the loss, even temporarily, that is the ideal situation.
Nisaryn 10:07 PM 01-12-2016
Originally Posted by organicdclady:
Have you spoken with her about it? She might be fine with just working fewer hours...I know that when I was in college and was working part time I really could have used some extra time to study. The important thing to her is the experience she is getting on top of the pay ( I assume her degree will be in childcare).
sahm1225 11:19 AM 01-13-2016
Originally Posted by Nisaryn:
Have you spoken with her about it? She might be fine with just working fewer hours...I know that when I was in college and was working part time I really could have used some extra time to study. The important thing to her is the experience she is getting on top of the pay ( I assume her degree will be in childcare).
I would talk to her about maybe going down to 10 hours a week. If backed into a corner, I would cut my budget elsewhere to be able to keep her. Good assistants are hard to find!
crazydaycarelady 09:55 AM 01-14-2016
Will you be able to fill the spots soon or do you think it could take awhile? I like the compromise 10 hour per week idea.
ACH247 10:10 AM 01-14-2016
Why don't you give her more to do when there is down time like marketing or advertising. Maybe even going to places to pass out or put up fliers. I wouldn't want to decrease the hours but I would try to use the help for something I needed.
thrivingchildcarecom 10:37 AM 01-14-2016
I know what you mean. I have lost two of my best part-time assistants in the past year. Their other job changed so they had to replace the income and the hours I could give wasn't enough. They hated leaving as much as I hated them going. Anyway, maybe reach out to another FCC provider and see if maybe you could share the assistant until things pickup. Maybe even a couple of other providers. This has worked for me in the past.
Tags:assistant
Reply Up