Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Learn from My Mistake! Purchase Your Domain the Moment You Can!
CityGarden 03:10 AM 04-20-2016
I am just starting on this journey and have been debating on two very different names for my program the last couple weeks.

Both names were available last week and I decided to just wait and check deeper with my state etc. to make sure the names were not too close to another biz etc. and wanted to decided on which one first.

I waited not even a full week, went on today and the one I decided on is taken with the .com AND they already have a wix page up on it connected to another wix page. So tonight I had to send an email to a complete stranger who lives across the world, hoping she will be willing to sell me that domain (at an obviously higher cost than I could have purchased it for last week).

Learn from my mistake. That said I did purchase the other name I was considering this evening, won't make that same mistake twice so I purchased it just in case for just one year - I sadly though now am more connected to the name I chose.

Another options is I also can add the word "the" for the domain and can use that i.e. thecitynamechildcare.com vs citynamechildcare.com and that is still available but I have not purchased that yet ---- do you all think that would work or should I just change the name all together and mourn the loss as a lesson learned?
CityGarden 03:40 AM 04-20-2016
Update I have now gotten a response to that email I sent and she is not interested in selling it.... I am so kicking myself I could have avoided all of this for $20 or less just last week. eek.
Blackcat31 05:20 AM 04-20-2016
Originally Posted by CityGarden:
Update I have now gotten a response to that email I sent and she is not interested in selling it.... I am so kicking myself I could have avoided all of this for $20 or less just last week. eek.
I added a - and got a domain name. For ex:

Instead of Blackcat.com it's Black-cat.com

NOT the one I wanted at the time but it would do.

I signed up for the notices that let you know when the domain you do want is up for sale.

A month later it was up for sale and available...I jumped.
Now I own both Blackcat.com and Black-cat.com (not really those domains but you get the point)

I hope the domain you want comes up for sale in the future for you but for now, I would consider adding a "." or a "-" and see if that works.
Thriftylady 05:38 AM 04-20-2016
I still haven't figured out if it is really worth it to get a domain name?
LysesKids 06:45 AM 04-20-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I still haven't figured out if it is really worth it to get a domain name?
I've owned mine for 10+ years lol... I also own the .com that is my actual name. I have been fighting for another one over 13 years; it was for another business which I service marked so the owner of the .com can't use it but he refuses to sell it unless I will pay over $1000. He ups the amount yearly too. Makes no sense for him to hold onto something when he knows I am the only one that can legally use it - I'm not rich, but he seems to think I am
Thriftylady 07:12 AM 04-20-2016
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
I've owned mine for 10+ years lol... I also own the .com that is my actual name. I have been fighting for another one over 13 years; it was for another business which I service marked so the owner of the .com can't use it but he refuses to sell it unless I will pay over $1000. He ups the amount yearly too. Makes no sense for him to hold onto something when he knows I am the only one that can legally use it - I'm not rich, but he seems to think I am
I guess my question is what is the point? What does it gain you?
LysesKids 07:24 AM 04-20-2016
Recognition... after so much time my daycare name (unique in it's own right) can be pulled up online and parents can see where i use to live and can understand why some of my references were from out of state until recently ( I use to travel a lot).

I hook into the right web search places with the right search words, Google, yahoo and similar can pull up my name if parents punch in childcare in "wherever you are". Local searches essentially... it use to be only daycare centers came up on the pages, now I do too lol

Also if parents see an ad, it's easy to just type in the .com and they get all the info they need inc rates, ages taken, policies etc... my website does my marketing for me essentially. Saves time interviewing families. I also know if I move again that more than likely nobody else will have the name, so my .com wouldn't have to change.
Blackcat31 07:27 AM 04-20-2016
SOOOOOO much easier to tell parents "Here's my website Blackcat.com" verses having to ask them to write it down "blackcat/weebly/free/website.com"

If your domain name is short, simple and DIRECT then interested families and clients can easily remember it, share it and find it.

THAT ^^^ is the benefit for me.
Mike 08:46 AM 04-20-2016
Now we're into my other profession. One thing me and the board owner have in common. I went into website hosting, design, and domain registration in 2000. By 2002 I was only doing part time reno work. Went back to full time reno 6 years ago. My website business is still going, just not profitable.

Domain names are a tricky business. If you want a website, you want a domain name. YourBusiness.weebly.com doesn't sound as professional as YourBusiness.com. There are now literally hundreds of other TLD (.com etc) options out there, like .family, .social, .rocks, .space, .life, .....
Some can sound quite interesting.

Adding a hyphen to a domain does have one problem. Verbal communication. If you tell someone your domain, you have to say "business hyphen name dot com" which has 2 issues. Doesn't sound so great, and when they go type it in, are they going to remember the hyphen. In my opinion, if you can put a word before or after that sounds good, that's the best choice.
thrivingchildcarecom 09:35 AM 04-20-2016
I agree with Blackcat. Do what you have to for now and just watch for when the more desirable name becomes available. In the meantime, you might even come up with an even better name.

I know what you mean though. I have a GoDaddy account who charge little for domains so anytime I think of a good one, I jump on it. If I don't use it, I could always sell it.
daycarediva 10:21 AM 04-20-2016
I shortened my domain, and if I continue to do childcare (I'm on the fence going forward after Sept) I am thinking of changing my name, which I already purchased just in case.
NillaWafers 10:38 AM 04-20-2016
My .com wasn't available so I used .net. Have you looked into other suffixes?
Crazy8 11:57 AM 04-20-2016
I threw "home" into mine - as in home daycare instead of just daycare, it makes the website longer but I also use it in my actual title anyway. When I started my referral agency wanted us to call ourselves "family child care" but I discovered the average parent has no clue what that meant - home daycare was much more self explanatory, although it doesn't completely eleviate the "is this a daycare center?" calls.
Crazy8 11:59 AM 04-20-2016
another option is including your 2 letter state abbreviation if it flows well like "xyzdaycareFL"
CityGarden 01:45 PM 04-20-2016
Well in all fairness the second word was "atelier" which I doubt most parents would recall the spelling of so I just went with firstwordmycity.com I could go with firstwordatelier.net or .org but this might have been for the best since someone mentioned keeping it simple helps for parents.....
Michael 04:46 PM 04-20-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I added a - and got a domain name. For ex:

Instead of Blackcat.com it's Black-cat.com

NOT the one I wanted at the time but it would do.

I signed up for the notices that let you know when the domain you do want is up for sale.

A month later it was up for sale and available...I jumped.
Now I own both Blackcat.com and Black-cat.com (not really those domains but you get the point)

I hope the domain you want comes up for sale in the future for you but for now, I would consider adding a "." or a "-" and see if that works.
That's amazing that you got that name. Its valuable. (I see now you were using BlackCat.com as an example)

It is a piece pf property on the internet that you actually own. All those other addresses like twitter, facebook, instagram, are pages that you use but don't own. If that company changes their policy or goes out of business, so does your content there.

A domain name can be used for just about anything. Hillary knew the importance of owning a server(computer) that was operated relative to her domain name and email address. Its like owning a house. You can do what you want with it. Chat, photos, blog, email, forum, sales, business the options are endless. Its an address that gives your access and distribution to the world.

I would imagine BlackCat.com gets lots of direct traffic from around the world without the use of search such as Google. Imagine how much money she would save in not having to pay Google for that traffic. It matters, I should know. Look what you and I get out of Daycare.com which is exactly what I started, created and made profitable.

Yeah, its my house

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
SOOOOOO much easier to tell parents "Here's my website Blackcat.com" verses having to ask them to write it down "blackcat/weebly/free/website.com"

If your domain name is short, simple and DIRECT then interested families and clients can easily remember it, share it and find it.

THAT ^^^ is the benefit for me.
You are a very smart person. That is EXACTLY the reason. Keep it simple!

Originally Posted by NillaWafers:
My .com wasn't available so I used .net. Have you looked into other suffixes?
.com is the gold standard and the others have their place in the domain extension hierarchy. Here is an article on one of my domain name sales. Yes, they are better investments than real estate: http://www.dnjournal.com/cover/2014/february.htm
Mike 05:29 PM 04-20-2016
Originally Posted by Michael:
Here is an article on one of my domain name sales. Yes, they are better investments than real estate: http://www.dnjournal.com/cover/2014/february.htm

I wish I got into the domain market earlier. I first started using the Internet in 99, made my first website later that year at geocities, then got my first domain name in 2000. I went through the different hosting levels until I got my first server in 2001, then went into the hosting and domain business. I have about 300 domains and have sold a few, but my biggest sale was $1000.
NillaWafers 08:17 PM 04-20-2016
That's amazing that you got that name. Its valuable. (I see now you were using BlackCat.com as an example)

It is a piece pf property on the internet that you actually own. All those other addresses like twitter, facebook, instagram, are pages that you use but don't own. If that company changes their policy or goes out of business, so does your content there.

A domain name can be used for just about anything. Hillary knew the importance of owning a server(computer) that was operated relative to her domain name and email address. Its like owning a house. You can do what you want with it. Chat, photos, blog, email, forum, sales, business the options are endless. Its an address that gives your access and distribution to the world.

I would imagine BlackCat.com gets lots of direct traffic from around the world without the use of search such as Google. Imagine how much money she would save in not having to pay Google for that traffic. It matters, I should know. Look what you and I get out of Daycare.com which is exactly what I started, created and made profitable.

Yeah, its my house

You are a very smart person. That is EXACTLY the reason. Keep it simple!

.com is the gold standard and the others have their place in the domain extension hierarchy. Here is an article on one of my domain name sales. Yes, they are better investments than real estate: http://www.dnjournal.com/cover/2014/february.htm
Hah! Should we be buying you whisky for Christmas? :-P
Michael 10:53 AM 04-21-2016
Originally Posted by NillaWafers:
Hah! Should we be buying you whisky for Christmas? :-P
Yes! And good job on spelling whisky the correct way

I posted this thread on my Facebook page and a highly trafficked domain blog picked it up: http://domaingang.com/domain-news/da...about-domains/
Shawn 09:40 AM 04-22-2016
I used to have my own domain for about 5 years. I had to cut extra expenses so it had to go. I understand the need to own your own domain, but honestly I get more calls now then I did when I owned it.
I currently have one main site I use from free webs. I also have at least 10 more from other free sites. When ever I come across any free website, I jump on it. I also have many free ads any and everywhere I can. I ad as many tags as possible.

So it's not my domain name that does it. Its the fact that my daycare name is all over the wide world web. If anyone is within a 50 miles types in any of the tags or key words (whatever they are called), my daycare comes up several times.

I had had people call me from other states looking for childcare because they are moving to my area soon. I had a little boy for about 6 months whose parents were broke up and dad had just got out of the navy and moved close to me. He called before he actually moved here. When he moved, he setup an appointment and I had the boy until the mom returned to the states after being stationed on a ship.

So my only point is, you really don't need a domain name to generate traffic for your website. At the end of the day it's about getting the calls in and parents signing those contracts.
Michael 11:59 AM 04-22-2016
Originally Posted by Shawn:
I used to have my own domain for about 5 years. I had to cut extra expenses so it had to go. I understand the need to own your own domain, but honestly I get more calls now then I did when I owned it.
I currently have one main site I use from free webs. I also have at least 10 more from other free sites. When ever I come across any free website, I jump on it. I also have many free ads any and everywhere I can. I ad as many tags as possible.

So it's not my domain name that does it. Its the fact that my daycare name is all over the wide world web. If anyone is within a 50 miles types in any of the tags or key words (whatever they are called), my daycare comes up several times.

I had had people call me from other states looking for childcare because they are moving to my area soon. I had a little boy for about 6 months whose parents were broke up and dad had just got out of the navy and moved close to me. He called before he actually moved here. When he moved, he setup an appointment and I had the boy until the mom returned to the states after being stationed on a ship.

So my only point is, you really don't need a domain name to generate traffic for your website. At the end of the day it's about getting the calls in and parents signing those contracts.
That's the beauty of a domain names. You can use it as you please. You are using it to market. I use Daycare.com as a business and a place for people to come an contribute to this industry every day. I don't own a a brick and mortar but I make a living with my websites. I could live anywhere in the world because of my domain names and how I use them. Domain names are dynamic and gives us freedom in how we use them.

Right now we are living mostly outside the virtual world. As technology like Virtual Reality and Artificial Intelligence advance, we will be immersed more so into the Internet of social living. Your property there, like your address (domain name), will become even more necessary and important.

I only pay $8 a year for the Daycare.com registration. Try paying that for your property taxes.
Mike 01:35 PM 04-22-2016
I only pay $8 a year for the Daycare.com registration. Try paying that for your property taxes.

That's why I own about 200 domain names, but nothing as valuable as whisky.com. When I first got on the net, domains were $65/y then quickly became available for $35, and just kept going down.
284878 07:25 AM 05-09-2016
How do I buy my domain? I went looking at weebly and I can lease / rent it but I could not see where I could by it.
CityGarden 07:50 AM 05-09-2016
Originally Posted by 284878:
How do I buy my domain? I went looking at weebly and I can lease / rent it but I could not see where I could by it.
Godaddy
Blackcat31 07:52 AM 05-09-2016
Originally Posted by 284878:
I purchased my original domain name through Go Daddy but then I created a website through Webs. I upgraded my web-side from the free option to a premium option and with that premium option I was also allowed two free domains.
Ariana 09:31 AM 05-09-2016
I bought my domain through GoDaddy as well and I also use their website builder and they host it for me, all for $12.99 a month Canadian. They constantly have deals on as well so you can sometimes get a domain name for 50% off and things like that.

Sometimes people will buy domain names just to make money off people who want those names so be careful you don't get bamboozled into buying your domain name from someone just wanting to make some easy $$.
Michael 12:08 PM 05-09-2016
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Sometimes people will buy domain names just to make money off people who want those names so be careful you don't get bamboozled into buying your domain name from someone just wanting to make some easy $$.
Wait a second. I've been selling internet property for 20 years. No different than anybody else purchasing extra property to flip. Domain names are a lot like property but are virtual. I build businesses on them (Daycare.com) sell them (Whisky.com), rent them (Adopt.com) and park them.

If you are talking about cyber squatters who register a trademark to extort money, that's a whole different story.
Michael 11:35 AM 05-31-2016
Wait a second. I've been selling internet property for 20 years. No different than anybody else purchasing extra property to flip. Domain names are a lot like property but are virtual. I build businesses on them (Daycare.com) sell them (Whisky.com), rent them (Adopt.com) and park them.

If you are talking about cyber squatters who register a trademark to extort money, that's a whole different story.
As an update to my last post here. I sold Rate.com for $725,000 last week. Domain names are like real estate. Here is the article about the sale: http://www.dnjournal.com/archive/low...s/20160531.htm
Blackcat31 12:06 PM 05-31-2016
As an update to my last post here. I sold Rate.com for $725,000 last week. Domain names are like real estate. Here is the article about the sale: http://www.dnjournal.com/archive/low...s/20160531.htm
Nice!!
laundrymom 12:29 PM 05-31-2016
Holy crap!! So, Michael is buying the whiskey for Christmas? Lol. Just kidding.
Michael 02:09 PM 05-31-2016
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Holy crap!! So, Michael is buying the whiskey for Christmas? Lol. Just kidding.
Champagne.com !
Mike 06:50 PM 05-31-2016

Right now, I'd be very happy with 1% of that. That would be enough to give my woodworking business a good start.
Unregistered 07:18 PM 05-31-2016

I'm ignorant about this kind of stuff. Can you explain what's different between purchasing, holding and selling a domain name, and purchasing, holding and selling a trademark? Please and thanks
CityGarden 08:02 PM 05-31-2016
Congrats on the sale!!!
Michael 08:50 PM 05-31-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I'm ignorant about this kind of stuff. Can you explain what's different between purchasing, holding and selling a domain name, and purchasing, holding and selling a trademark? Please and thanks
Here is my take. I've been paying lawyers for many years for intellectual property law matters. Trademarks are a different issue than generics. With a name like Rate.com, which is generic, there are few problems with trademarks as long as you are not infringing on one. Pepsi.com is not a generic and anyone that registers a name with it will automatically be considered a cybersquatter and get a Cease and Desist letter or get sued.

I use to own Igloo.com which is a generic name. As long as I didn't sell coolers, I was not infringing. I sold it to a Domain Name brokerage firm for good money.

I am using Daycare.com for daycare and childcare related business. No problems there. You can't get a trademark for what a name if defined as. If I were to get a trademark for the word Daycare. No one would be able to use it for business but me. So I can't get one. I can get a service mark for my Daycare.com logo though.
Unregistered 07:46 AM 06-01-2016
Thanks, that makes sense!
Tags:domain names, website
Reply Up