Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Stick a Fork in Me, I Think I'm Done
Unregistered 10:53 AM 08-25-2010
I've been doing this for a little over a year now. For awhile I enjoyed but lately, I'm just ready for the day to be over & the weekend to get here.

#1 Dcg is 14 months old. I've had her since 3 months. For the first 3 months all she did was cry because she wanted to be held. When she started rolling & crawling she got much better. Was actually wonderful to have. About a month ago (since a family vacation) she has started crying & screaming. This week she is refusing to nap. Yesterday she slept 30 minutes. Today 45 minutes. She wakes up crying. Not just crying but screeching crying. Wakes up all the other kids. I can't just leave her in the pack n play...but honestly I don't know what to do. If I get her out of bed she is still crying & waking up the kids. They all need their naps. The only good thing is her parents. I love them. They are wonderful to me. You couldn't ask for better.

#2 & #3 I can never get schedules for. 2 different families & they both just come 2 days a week. #2 comes weds & thurs. Last wednesday I got a call at 1130 from dcm saying they overslept & wouldn't be coming. Fine, she says she will bring her tomorrow. NOrmally when mom comes they are here between 9-10am. When dad drops her off, its 7:15 and she is my first kid. Well I thought mom was coming, nope dad. I was not out of bed yet. (I get up at 7:15 for my 7:45 kids). #3 I was told last week she would text me the schedule over the weekend. I just got a schedule today... for Thursday & Friday.

#4 I can never get diapers for. I have been asking for 3 weeks now. Sometimes they bring me a few to get thru the day...sometimes none. Last week I had to use my own child's diapers for this dcb. He only comes 3 days a week and is no problem. He is an easy toddler. I just can't get diapers!

I have mentioned to all the parents that I prefer velcro shoes for outside play. On my busy days (wed & thurs) I have 5 sets of shoes to get on. If I have to tie 5 shoes, and retie when they come on done, then it takes F O R E V E R to get outside. Well I have 2 parents that just dont listen, or don't care.

All of this I can deal with... I know its part of the job... but right now dcg#1 is driving me crazy with her screaming crying & not letting anyone sleep.
Abigail 01:33 PM 08-25-2010
Make sure you have these topics covered in your handbook, if not not--add them this week! Whether they are in your handbook or not, make every parent sign a "reminder form"

#1...crying, do you have something in your handbook that "if a child is unable to control themselves and requires more care and takes away from the care of the other children including, but not limited too: sickness, behavior, excessive crying, abusiveness, (whatever you want to fill in, you don't need to cover all the bases because you need to write "including, but not limited too...) then the parent will be called and is expected to arrive within one hour of the call to pick up their child. If the parent is unable to be reached, the emergency contact will be called.

#2/3...schedules. Yes, more and more people are using text messaging as a form of communication, but I find it inappropriate in the workplace. Make sure you have a "Communication" category in your handbook. This is the place to discuss that communication is important for both parent and providers. Mention that acceptable forms of communication are written in a letter or email and phone calls are acceptable too. State text messaging is not advised as a good form of communication.

You also need to make sure yo have a "Schedule" category in which you refer to the contact with each families contracted hours. This will mention that they pay for their spot/slot regardless of if they are in attendance for that day. Part time can not come any other day other than their contracted hours, even if they miss a day. (Unless you take drop-in care based on availability--but this would have to be charge the drop-in rate since they're not contracted to be their that day)

If schedules are not set for families, I would recommend that you required schedules to be made Monday-Friday for the following week before 6:00 pm on the previous Friday. If they do not let you know their schedule at least one week ahead of time by 6:00 pm or closing time Friday, then they will sign a form of "Communication" that they have failed to communicate appropriately and if more than three of these forms must be filled out within a year then it is grounds for immediate termination.

Sounds rough, but most places have schedules 1-3 weeks in advance and they need to treat you with respect and properly inform you. I personally would be looking for full-timers and interviewing because you should be able to be full (if you choose to do so) and if you let part time change their schedules, you really are holding a full-time spot for them as you are not filling in their non-contracted hours thus, holding back your potential income.

#4...diapers. In your handbook, you should have something regarding "Parents Provide" and list the items you require them to bring. After the list, add that "At minimum, a week's supplies are always to be kept on hand to ensure you have a sufficient amount of supplies for their child's needs." I would actually add either a 2-weeks supply of diapers should be brought in OR give them a notice when they are down to 10 diapers (or so--this is just to give you an idea, but write when their supply of diapers becomes low...) then they need to replenish them within 3 days of the written notice. Just give them a small card in person and hand it to them at pick up (Brightly colored <HOT PINK, LOL> and could even be cute like the shape of a diaper) and have the child's name and date on it. If they do not replenish the diapers by the date and/or when they run out. You will charge a $10 fee to be paid in full before returning to care and must replenish the next 1 or 2 weeks supply of diapers before returning to care also!

LOL, I know this got long, but if you want to avoid all these situations and prevent burn-out make sure you have a detailed handbook and that you mention you have the right to change anything in the handbook when necessary. Good luck!
kendallina 02:18 PM 08-25-2010
Originally Posted by Abigail:
Make sure you have these topics covered in your handbook, if not not--add them this week! Whether they are in your handbook or not, make every parent sign a "reminder form"

#1...crying, do you have something in your handbook that "if a child is unable to control themselves and requires more care and takes away from the care of the other children including, but not limited too: sickness, behavior, excessive crying, abusiveness, (whatever you want to fill in, you don't need to cover all the bases because you need to write "including, but not limited too...) then the parent will be called and is expected to arrive within one hour of the call to pick up their child. If the parent is unable to be reached, the emergency contact will be called.

#2/3...schedules. Yes, more and more people are using text messaging as a form of communication, but I find it inappropriate in the workplace. Make sure you have a "Communication" category in your handbook. This is the place to discuss that communication is important for both parent and providers. Mention that acceptable forms of communication are written in a letter or email and phone calls are acceptable too. State text messaging is not advised as a good form of communication.

You also need to make sure yo have a "Schedule" category in which you refer to the contact with each families contracted hours. This will mention that they pay for their spot/slot regardless of if they are in attendance for that day. Part time can not come any other day other than their contracted hours, even if they miss a day. (Unless you take drop-in care based on availability--but this would have to be charge the drop-in rate since they're not contracted to be their that day)

If schedules are not set for families, I would recommend that you required schedules to be made Monday-Friday for the following week before 6:00 pm on the previous Friday. If they do not let you know their schedule at least one week ahead of time by 6:00 pm or closing time Friday, then they will sign a form of "Communication" that they have failed to communicate appropriately and if more than three of these forms must be filled out within a year then it is grounds for immediate termination.

Sounds rough, but most places have schedules 1-3 weeks in advance and they need to treat you with respect and properly inform you. I personally would be looking for full-timers and interviewing because you should be able to be full (if you choose to do so) and if you let part time change their schedules, you really are holding a full-time spot for them as you are not filling in their non-contracted hours thus, holding back your potential income.

#4...diapers. In your handbook, you should have something regarding "Parents Provide" and list the items you require them to bring. After the list, add that "At minimum, a week's supplies are always to be kept on hand to ensure you have a sufficient amount of supplies for their child's needs." I would actually add either a 2-weeks supply of diapers should be brought in OR give them a notice when they are down to 10 diapers (or so--this is just to give you an idea, but write when their supply of diapers becomes low...) then they need to replenish them within 3 days of the written notice. Just give them a small card in person and hand it to them at pick up (Brightly colored <HOT PINK, LOL> and could even be cute like the shape of a diaper) and have the child's name and date on it. If they do not replenish the diapers by the date and/or when they run out. You will charge a $10 fee to be paid in full before returning to care and must replenish the next 1 or 2 weeks supply of diapers before returning to care also!

LOL, I know this got long, but if you want to avoid all these situations and prevent burn-out make sure you have a detailed handbook and that you mention you have the right to change anything in the handbook when necessary. Good luck!
Excellent response!

I'm sorry it's been so frustrated, I would be frustrated too. I agree with previous poster that your life will be much much easier if you take steps to get policies in place so that they cannot take advantage of you (AND stick to your policies!). It's hard to be tough on parents sometimes, but you are providing a valued and important service and deserve their respect. Good luck!
Childminder 02:29 PM 08-25-2010
Originally Posted by :
#4 I can never get diapers for. I have been asking for 3 weeks now. Sometimes they bring me a few to get thru the day...sometimes none. Last week I had to use my own child's diapers for this dcb. He only comes 3 days a week and is no problem. He is an easy toddler. I just can't get diapers!
I always write in Sharpie that the supply is low on the last diaper of the day. Works well for me. Usually just "Diapers Please" and a happy face. If they don't bring them the happy face gets sadder and sadder. Then if I'm down to the last diaper I write "last Diaper! and a mad face If they still don't bring them; When they arrive the next morning meet them at the door and tell them to get the diapers and don't let them leave the kid until they do. Or send them home bare bottomed. I've done the latter once in 30+ years.

A far as scheduling on#2 & #3 I have to send reminders home on occaision to nip that issue in the bud. Doesn't happen often but every couple of years it will & tic me off. I put in my contract and have them sign that if they do not call or provide me with schedule I will not be available for care. Twice I left and took the others to breakfast and the park just to prove the point.

#1 This too shall pass. He clock is messed up and just needs gentle reminders of routine. Can you for awhile put her in another room? I use a sound machine and very rarely have issues. They all sleep VERY well to the sound of a 'summer's night'.
MyAngels 08:02 PM 08-25-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I had one like this once, so frustrating! I gave notice that, since they were having trouble remembering to bring diapers I would raise their rate $20.00 per week, and I would begin providing diapers. The very next day they brought three very large boxes of diapers "to replace the supply we've used" and they never forgot those diapers again.

These days I also write in marker on the last diaper of the day: "Susie needs diapers " Then: "Susie still needs diapers :/" "Susie really, really needs diapers "
JJPlaycare 07:16 AM 08-26-2010
WOW! Sounds like you have got a GREAT group! J/K who wouldn't be done with this situation!!! I have contracted hours here and that is when your child is due to arrive here and when they need to be picked up, no if ands or buts about it!! If they cannot abide to these hours and come whenever they please, Ahhhh Bu Bye!! There are more fish in the sea, you deserve to be picky!
The crier, let her cry it out! She is old enough to be on a schedule and she is going to have to cry it out to get back there! She might be a distraction for 3 days of crying, but if you keep getting her after 30 mins, she is going to keep getting up then, why wouldn't she!! If you have another room she can nap in, move her there until she is on a schedule! Sounds harsh, but it is a reality of being raised in a daycare!!
The diapers, no way, no how!! If they showed up without diapers for their child, they would be running back home to get them before leaving the kid here! This is completely unacceptable!! I have a dry erase board in my entry way where I right simply reminders like this! I usually write the reminder a few days in advance so that they can forget a day or two, but if I have no diapers there child certainly can't stay here and why would they even think they could??? Do they go to work with out underwear instead of washing clothes, doubt it!!
If you let a parent take advantage of you and completely disrespect you in which is exactly what is going on, then they are going to grab onto those reins and start running!! You are NOT a babysitter, you are a buisness women and a highlly qualified one for that matter, you deserve respect, now get it!! Give yourself credit and STOP the cycle now before it gets MORE out of hand!!! Grow a backbone and stand up for yourself and the buisness you run!! Good luck and hang in there, if they cannot not respect you being tougher with your policies and rules, they are not worth working with!! There are more fish in the sea, be picky and be strong!!!
JJPlaycare 09:03 AM 08-26-2010
I didn't mean to come off so harsh saying stand up for yourself blah, blah, blah - I have been there before and I simply speak from experience! Your group sounds exactly like the group I had starting out!! I thought if so and so could do daycare so could I, I had patience of a saint!! HAHAHA I thought I was going to go completely insane my first year, if something could go wrong, trust me it did! Every day I dreaded that "DAYCARE" was comming! LOL I finally realized through alot of thinking, time and friends and family that I needed to set some major boundries, policies and change my contract around and most importantly I needed self confidence in myself to be able to stand up to those who were walking all over me!! So with that said, I know it is hard and you always feel like the underdog, like if I do this and make them mad than they will leave and I won't have a job!! That thought replayed in my head over and over again, but trust me! It isn't worth the stress you are going through - you don't deserve to be going through what you are and it is time to stand up for yourself and make some major changes! The longer you let it go on, the worse it gets!! Parents like these especially those not giving a schedule and those not providing diapers for their baby are NOT going to find anything different than what you are expecting of them!! Good luck and be confident, kids come and go and you need to mold families into your buisness!!
Tags:frustrated, handbook
Reply Up