Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>A Different Type of Picky Eater
jenboo 12:07 PM 12-23-2013
I have a 21 month old DCB who is a picky eater..but not your typical eater.
He barely eats most days, but other days he will eat lot. One day he will eat a banana and the next day he throws a fit when he sees on one his plate. I nannied him before I opened my daycare and his parents switched him for purees to regular food round 13-14 months. He ate like a champ with the purees.He wouldn't eat much of the regular food but he would always eat easy mac and dino chicken nuggets (had to be dino nuggets). Thats basically all he ate for a while. Occasionally some veggies, pasta or a sandwich.

Today he ate two bites of a waffle and none of his banana (threw a fit when he saw it).
For lunch he had half a homemade chicken nugget and no pasta.

A couple weeks ago he ate all his waffle, pasta and nuggets. Its so weird. He will eat something one day and not the next time it is served to him. He doesn't weigh much but no one is concerned yet...

I'm not really looking for advice, just wondering if anyone has had a child like this. Its so weird!
Leigh 01:04 PM 12-23-2013
It's perfectly normal for his age. Just don't make a deal out of any of it to him...don't cajole, don't beg, just ask him if he's done eating and if he is, excuse him from the table. Don't offer him anything "better", just offer the food, if he doesn't eat it, that's OK. He'll eat if he's hungry. If you don't make a big deal out of it, he'll soon decide it's not a big deal. If he has a meltdown about a certain food, then either let him decide to not eat it, remove it for him, or (what I do) just push it to the other side of his plate and tell him that we'll move it if he doesn't like it. He may decide to taste it later. No child will starve themselves, don't worry about this.
Brooksie 01:18 PM 12-23-2013
I have the same 21 month old. Everyday his tastes and appetite vary. Some days he won't eat a thing and others he can't eat enough. One day he will LOVE his nuggets, the other day won't touch them. It drive his mom crazy but I always tell her not to think about what he's eaten in a day, but what he's eaten that week. If it all balances out, he's fine.
slorey 04:55 PM 12-23-2013
You just described my ds perfectly, other than he doesn't have many days where he will eat a lot. He hasn't gained much weight in the last year and a half, but no one seems concerned, except me. I try not to worry about it too much but I have to admit it does bother me quite a bit. He is 33 months old, but has always had eating issues since he started solid food. Pureed food was fine but anything stage 3 and real food he refused to eat for the longest time. Now he is super picky and there are many things he still will not eat at all. Hoping he outgrows it soon. I never know what to feed him!
misslori50 09:22 AM 12-27-2013
Originally Posted by Leigh:
It's perfectly normal for his age. Just don't make a deal out of any of it to him...don't cajole, don't beg, just ask him if he's done eating and if he is, excuse him from the table. Don't offer him anything "better", just offer the food, if he doesn't eat it, that's OK. He'll eat if he's hungry. If you don't make a big deal out of it, he'll soon decide it's not a big deal. If he has a meltdown about a certain food, then either let him decide to not eat it, remove it for him, or (what I do) just push it to the other side of his plate and tell him that we'll move it if he doesn't like it. He may decide to taste it later. No child will starve themselves, don't worry about this.
agree
jenboo 09:53 AM 12-27-2013
Thanks everyone. Im not worried about him not eating. I serve him good food and if he doesn't eat, he doesn't eat. I am glad to hear that there are other children like this...I have never seen one before
Unregistered 11:12 AM 12-27-2013
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I have a 21 month old DCB who is a picky eater..but not your typical eater.
He barely eats most days, but other days he will eat lot. One day he will eat a banana and the next day he throws a fit when he sees on one his plate. I nannied him before I opened my daycare and his parents switched him for purees to regular food round 13-14 months. He ate like a champ with the purees.He wouldn't eat much of the regular food but he would always eat easy mac and dino chicken nuggets (had to be dino nuggets). Thats basically all he ate for a while. Occasionally some veggies, pasta or a sandwich.

Today he ate two bites of a waffle and none of his banana (threw a fit when he saw it).
For lunch he had half a homemade chicken nugget and no pasta.

A couple weeks ago he ate all his waffle, pasta and nuggets. Its so weird. He will eat something one day and not the next time it is served to him. He doesn't weigh much but no one is concerned yet...

I'm not really looking for advice, just wondering if anyone has had a child like this. Its so weird!
I know you're not watching my son, lol but sounds just like him. My son is 6 1/2 and 38lbs. We've even given him Boost to try to get him to gain weight since he's such a weird eater. Dr keeps saying he's fine, but I still worry.
Tags:picky eater
Reply Up