Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sick all the Time - Starting to Wear Me Down! RANT
Nisaryn 09:24 PM 01-30-2016
Hello everyone, I just need to vent/rant a bit,

So most of you know I do infant only care. I have my son who just turned 1yr plus a 10m and a 8m. I'm having an issue with DC babies...they all keep getting sick! No, they aren't getting sick here but they keep getting sick and then coming here and getting my family sick! So, here is how it started...

Just over a month ago one of my DCMs let me know her son seemed to have a cold. A cold is no big deal, if there is no fever and the snot is clear then OK...I can deal with a little snot. Nope, this turned into an awful, horrible FLU...I got it, my son got it, other DC babies caught it. My whole family got it in spit of getting the shot....we recovered after just a few horrible days but still. I only ended up closing on Friday and had the weekend to get better.

A week goes by....

The same DCM texts me and lets me know that her son had vomited on Saturday but that Sunday he was cool and Monday morning he was fine as well....OK, maybe he just ate too much or something as he has no fever, bring him on him. Everything was fine, but by that afternoon my son and my other DCK were BOTH vomiting non-stop...sent everyone home, took my son to ER when he was still vomiting hours later. After about 3 days (in which I was closed) he got better, then I GOT SICK.....and my daughter...and my husband....we had caught the new super stomach virus....we all got better after another week. I had to close for three days though.

Another week goes by.......

So, everyone (including all DCKs) are better....then this past Monday, same kid.... is dropped off and DCM says, "He has a bit of a runny nose but no fever...I think he might have allergies." I did check the baby, he didn't have a fever and it was clear snot. So ok....I should have learned better the first time 'cause NOPE!!! Now both me and my son have been coughing and snotting since Monday. He coughs so badly he can't sleep at night and I can't sleep 'cause I sit up with him worried as can be.

I am SO SICK OF BEING SICK!!!!!! I've cleaned and cleaned and washed hands and faces and cleaned some more and we keep catching all this stuff. I know it's my fault because I keep letting the kid come back but I've only got the two families so I didn't want to risk her not coming back....both my families are awesome but still, you never know and it took me two months to get these two families....no one wants to pay full price (no subsidy) in these military communities so it's really hard to keep an "actual" business going (I'm licensed). BUT UGGHHGHH! I'm so tired of my poor little guy getting so sick so often.
Josiegirl 02:33 AM 01-31-2016
I know it's very discouraging, especially when our own keeps getting sick because of all the germs being brought into our homes. I remember very well when my kids were little. Truthfully, unless you keep yourselves in bubbles you're going to be exposed. Lice from school, chicken pox(way before vaccines were popular for that)pink eye, scabies from a dcb, my 18 mo dd got bronchiolitis from a dck and had to be hospitalized, then dcm had the gall to come into the ER(she was a dr.)and ask me if I'd be going back home soon!!! Then the usual colds, viruses, bugs, you name it. Not much fun at all. I'm sorry your ds and all of you are experiencing this.
Hope you all feel better soon.
childcaremom 02:40 AM 01-31-2016

It's been an awful past couple of months here, too. You described exactly what we have experienced.

Everyone has been sick, gets better, gets sick, etc. Nothing to exclude for so I have just been watching their temperments and if they are too tired/miserable to play/nap, then I will send them home.

Sometimes, despite our best efforts, illness comes in and spreads. Especially if it's contagious before the symptoms start to show. Tis the season for lots of cleaning and disinfecting.

I hope your little one rebounds quickly.
Unregistered 05:26 AM 01-31-2016
It it nobody's fault. By the time the first child has any symptoms you and the other children are already exposed anyway.
daycarediva 09:42 AM 02-01-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
It it nobody's fault. By the time the first child has any symptoms you and the other children are already exposed anyway.
Which is the kicker- before the first child in dc displayed symptoms- they were already spreading the illness. I find opening windows, going outside and honesty, a couple of years under your belt with kids, gives a natural immunity.

EVERY CHILD here has had a runny nose/cough this winter. Long lasting, too. TWO vomited (but they weren't together on any of the same days) One was out with pink eye last week (fingers crossed on this one).

Then you get the parents that blatantly lie to you.

It is a definite downside to doing daycare.
mommyneedsadayoff 11:43 AM 02-01-2016
I know it stinks, but it goes with the job. And the thing is, I get frustrated when daycare parents blame daycare everytime their kid is sick, so as frustrating as it can be, I like to give the benefit of the doubt when it comes to my own kids getting sick. We go to the grocery store or the playground and those things are pretty much a petri dish for germs, so even though we think we can connect the dots back to one child, it is not always the case. It is a downside of daycare in the short term, but the strong immune system our kids get from it is a long term benefit!
laundrymom 11:51 AM 02-01-2016
Also, how
Long have you been a provider? It seems the longer you have, the stronger your own body is. The first 5 years seem to be the hardest. Those next 25 have just flown by.
Ariana 01:47 PM 02-01-2016
There is nothing you can do to prevent this so stop stressing about it!! Last year I had the winter from hell. This year not one sickness **knock on wood**. I am doing nothing differently except drinking those Emergency Vitamin C drinks every couple of days. Maybe that's it? maybe not...who the heck knows!!

Hang in there
Nisaryn 09:10 PM 02-02-2016
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Also, how
Long have you been a provider? It seems the longer you have, the stronger your own body is. The first 5 years seem to be the hardest. Those next 25 have just flown by.
I've only been doing home daycare for only 1yr but I had been working in center care for about three years and as an Elementary teacher for three years before that, I always get sick every year :/
laundrymom 03:17 AM 02-03-2016
Originally Posted by Nisaryn:
I've only been doing home daycare for only 1yr but I had been working in center care for about three years and as an Elementary teacher for three years before that, I always get sick every year :/
Some things I have always done( not sure if it helps lol)
I keep my home, especially areas where the kids play, cooler than most. 66-67 degrees. I think it helps w germs.
I vacuum every single day.
I only wash toys if they are slimed or visibly dirty.
I think some dirt is good.
I don't use harsh chemicals. I steam tile floors and air dry dishes.
I air out the house often. Just a couple minutes after the kids leave seems to be enough. On days we have colds or a virus that seems to be starting we air it out in the mid morning as well. During dance time.
I push citrus fruits and movement in the cooler months. We vigorously dance every day to get our bodies pumping oxygen and forcing them to flush out the bad germs and inhale the good. Usually w a couple open windows and fresh cool winter (sometimes cold bitter winter) air flowing in.
I push positive happy energetic as much as possible. It seems to be as contagious as the germs.
Josiegirl 04:02 AM 02-03-2016
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Some things I have always done( not sure if it helps lol)
I keep my home, especially areas where the kids play, cooler than most. 66-67 degrees. I think it helps w germs.
I vacuum every single day.
I only wash toys if they are slimed or visibly dirty.
I think some dirt is good.
I don't use harsh chemicals. I steam tile floors and air dry dishes.
I air out the house often. Just a couple minutes after the kids leave seems to be enough. On days we have colds or a virus that seems to be starting we air it out in the mid morning as well. During dance time.
I push citrus fruits and movement in the cooler months. We vigorously dance every day to get our bodies pumping oxygen and forcing them to flush out the bad germs and inhale the good. Usually w a couple open windows and fresh cool winter (sometimes cold bitter winter) air flowing in.
I push positive happy energetic as much as possible. It seems to be as contagious as the germs.
Love your ideas! Sure beats dousing our homes in germ killing poisons every day.
For myself, I also keep echinacea on hand. I truly believe it helps keep my immunity up to par.
Reply Up