Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Strep Throat
wdmmom 09:37 AM 06-10-2011
I've got a DCB age 3 that has had Strep three times in the last 6 months! Is there anything I can do here that I might not already be doing?

The last 2 times he's gotten it, there was absolutely no symptoms other than he acts up and gets constipated which I know is a coincidence and not related to the strep.

We use a commercial sanitizer to clean toys, tables, chairs, pack n plays, cots, highchairs, etc. We do this once a week. I wash all bedding weekly, vacuum twice daily and steam clean the carpets about once per month.

Is there something more I can do to avoid the spread of anyone else getting it or eliminate DCB from getting it in the first place?

I've never had strep, neither have any of my own children so this is a little new to me. Is this boy just prone to it or is there a culprit I'm not aware of???
dEHmom 09:39 AM 06-10-2011
i know my sister got strep as a young child, and everytime she gets it, it'll be worse than the last.

she actually cannot be in the same house as anyone who has strep throat.

but sorry i cannot offer any advice.
daycare 09:43 AM 06-10-2011
It could be that he is just prone to getting strep. He may have to get his tonsils out at some point. This happend to my cousin.

It could be that the parents are not sanitizing at home properly. if you guys are not getting it, then I think it sounds like you are doing everything right....
Blackcat31 09:44 AM 06-10-2011
I'm wondering if the child's parent may be quitting the meds after the child is feeling better. The strep virus can live inside your body for a while and if she is discontinuing the meds before she is suppose to then it will just keep flaring back up. I honestly don't think it has anything to do with cleaning and sterilizing but that is MPO.

I do know some people get it and some people don't. I have never had it and my DH gets it all the time.
Cat Herder 09:58 AM 06-10-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I'm wondering if the child's parent may be quitting the meds after the child is feeling better. The strep virus can live inside your body for a while and if she is discontinuing the meds before she is suppose to then it will just keep flaring back up. I honestly don't think it has anything to do with cleaning and sterilizing but that is MPO.

I do know some people get it and some people don't. I have never had it and my DH gets it all the time.
Exactly, Blackcat.

Some people are carriers who never show symptoms, they can infect others and never get sick themselves.

My brother got it repeatedly for a couple years and the doc asked my mom to bring me in as well...you guessed it. Once we were both treated we did not get it again until we each had our own kids.

I just tell my parents to give me a heads up so I can run in for a quick swab before they return to care to prevent the cycle. I never show symptoms....
momofsix 10:05 AM 06-10-2011
Have his parents changed his toothbrush?
sharlan 10:18 AM 06-10-2011
I have 2 cases going on right now. A friend was here helping with the boys bd party, she didn't know she had it. Now my 4 yo has it. The only symptom he has is he keeps saying "I'm so, so sick".

If you are doing everything in your power to prevent it, it will only help keep the other kids from getting it. His parents need to be doing preventative maintenance at their house, too. IMHO, they need to be changing and washing bedding, changing everybody's toothbrushes, spraying hard surfaces with an antibacterial (especially door knobs and light switches), etc.

Some kids are more susceptible than others.

As for being carriers and not knowing, both my sister and eldest daughter are carriers. My sister and I babysat a large group of kids in our teens, several families. One summer, all the kids kept getting strept, round and round. The neighbor lady took my sister and I to the health dept and had us tested. My sister was the carrier, not a single symptom.
Meyou 10:20 AM 06-10-2011
I used to get it all the time and noone in my family ever did until I got my tonsils out. Haven't had it since. Woo! Now my youngest dd has had it 4 times this year but noone else got it. It came from school i'm assuming and I've stopped closing when she's sick because she's the only one who gets it.

I'd say the parents are doing something wrong either cleaning or with meds.
Meyou 10:21 AM 06-10-2011
I used to get it all the time and noone in my family ever did until I got my tonsils out. Haven't had it since. Woo! Now my youngest dd has had it 4 times this year but noone else got it. It came from school i'm assuming and I've stopped closing when she's sick because she's the only one who gets it.

I'd say the parents are doing something wrong either cleaning or with meds.
Tags:cleaning, sanitizing, sickness, strep throat
Reply Up