Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Your Own Child's Fever
MsLaura529 06:23 PM 02-18-2014
Just curious what you all do when one of your own kids comes down with a fever (and cough). It has happened a couple times now, and I just have DS or DD stay out of the daycare area as much as possible (which usually means I turn the TV in the family room on and they vrg out in front of it for most of the day, and eat meals at our kitchen table instead of inside the daycare). DS (3) ended up with a 101.2 fever tonight and a bad, wet cough. Had to send a text out to all the parents just to let them know. It just got me wondering about what everyone else does?
slorey 05:21 AM 02-19-2014
I usually do the same thing...try to keep them separated as much as possible. That is not easy in my house, as my entire 1st floor is shared daycare space and there really isn't a good place to segregate them. Depending on the illness, if they don't need direct care all day, I will have my older kids (7&10) stay in their rooms upstairs as much as possible, but my youngest is only 2, so he really has to stay downstairs with me. I give all the parents a heads up at drop off that one of my kids is home sick. I don't notify them ahead of time because they always seem to bring them anyway. So I just tell them I will keep them as separated as possible, and will usually let them know what symptoms my kids have so they can watch for the same in their own kids. Not much else you can do, in my opinion. Hope your little one feels better soon.
melilley 05:24 AM 02-19-2014
I can't keep my 1 yo separated from the dc kids so I usually tell the parents and it's their choice if they want their kids to stay.

They always stay anyways.
taylorw1210 06:11 AM 02-19-2014
I had this happen last week, and I just sent a text in the morning to all of my families informing them and giving them the option to attend or not. Only one family opted not to bring their child, and it was because she was already home that week with one of her kids who had surgery a few days prior. All the others attended and the parents didn't seem too concerned about it.
CraftyMom 06:22 AM 02-19-2014
Same here, I tell the parents the night before or as soon as I know, and it's their choice...they always come, even when one dcm was she brought her child anyway.

I try to keep my child separated, but that never really happens. They want Mommy when they are sick! I always hope that dcp's will realize this when I let them know my child is sick, that I am a mom too and my child needs me. Nope doesn't happen! Not for me anyway

I hope your little one feels better!
Jack Sprat 11:19 AM 02-19-2014
I sent a text to all the parents letting them know and letting them know that she was segregated from us. I did close the next day as she still had a temp at closing time that day. I told parents that if my own are sick I will try to stay open unless it becomes too much to juggle. All (except one) have been understanding of that.
Rachel 12:59 AM 02-20-2014
With my older ones (6-10), they keep out of the way.

With my little one, I close (unpaid sick day) or have someone come in and watch him. I follow the same rules I make them follow. It's only fair. If I don't watch sick kids, that includes my own.
daycarediva 03:52 AM 02-20-2014
I send them a text and let them know. I try to keep them separated and it works out pretty good with our layout. My kids are all SA though, so that helps. I also have to tell them that if their child gets sick, they have to follow the illness policy. No "but he got it from your kid!"
Play Care 04:45 AM 02-20-2014
When my kids were little and sick, I closed, period. They needed mom. Thankfully it wasn't often. Now my kids are older and stay upstairs in my room watching tv/napping. They text me if they need anything

The only time I close now is if the illness is highly contagious or requires my full attention. I *never* tell dcp's if a family member is home with illness if I am open (and this is in my contract). In the past I've had parents get mad over that saying I wasn't being professional and pushing the decision on them to send or not send
The other bonus is that they can't blame me/my kids when their kids get sick
CraftyMom 05:40 AM 02-20-2014
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I *never* tell dcp's if a family member is home with illness if I am open (and this is in my contract). In the past I've had parents get mad over that saying I wasn't being professional and pushing the decision on them to send or not send
The other bonus is that they can't blame me/my kids when their kids get sick
Good point! I've left it up to the parents so then it would be that they knew my child was sick and chose to come anyway so it's their fault if their child gets sick. But if I don't tell them to begin with...
Play Care 06:26 AM 02-20-2014
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
Good point! I've left it up to the parents so then it would be that they knew my child was sick and chose to come anyway so it's their fault if their child gets sick. But if I don't tell them to begin with...
I feel comfortable with this because my kids are older and easily separated. Also, if they have something highly contagious (strep, flu, tummy bug) I close. I know a provider who when she used dc herself the provider would stay open no matter what - and one of her kids had a compromised immune system.
Tags:exclusions, family sickness, fever
Reply Up