Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Require Bloomers or Shorts Under a Dress?
TXhomedaycare 06:01 AM 04-15-2015
I have 6 full timers, 1 is a girl that is 1 years old and the rest are boys age ranging from 11 months to 4 years old. I have a lot of riding and sitting toys that all the kids like and I was wondering if anyone requires shorts or bloomers under dresses and the reason. My biggest reason is that I hate direct diaper to toy contact. This is my first year and I sent home the request to dcm yesterday and this morning she acted like I was crazy. Please give me your opinion
mim 06:36 AM 04-15-2015
I do. It's in my policies under the health and safety section labeled clothing and accessories And it states" girls in dresses/skirts must have shorts/leggings underneath as not to expose diapers/under garments."
HTH
Baby Beluga 06:38 AM 04-15-2015
Yes, I require shorts under dresses. I feel it is just appropriate. I don't want to see a child's underwear or diaper.
Magic 07:15 AM 04-15-2015
it is not in my contract
but you bet I mention it
I have seen some scarey stuff regarding this and parents not thinking
even the older girls 3 yr ..no shorts and ........
I was once in a big store and a young family was shopping with children
they had a young girl around 3 in the seat part of the cart with dress on and NOTHING under
you could see all
if I have to I remind people that others can take a photo so easy with a phone these days ....
and I course in day cre the curious children
LindseyA 07:26 AM 04-15-2015
Its required in school, for the same exact reasons it should be required in daycare.
rosieteddy 07:56 AM 04-15-2015
I have never allowed dresses or sandals in 30 yrs of daycare.I tell the parents at interview and state that a dress is not play clothes.I even have tucked in longer tunic shirts.Many children have crawled on knelt on there long shirts causing falls ect.
finsup 08:13 AM 04-15-2015
I somehow end up with mostly boys lol. But for my daughter (1 on may 6th), she's always got something under her dress. Tights, leggings, etc. For us its about modesty and wanting that to be the standard from very early on. There will come a time when she won't have to have anything under it (assuming its knee length or below) but that will be a long way down the road I wouldn't think you were crazy at all for requiring something to be underneath. Now if I was told she couldn't wear dresses, then I would be upset. We wear dresses/skirts 99% of the time so I wouldn't be sending her anywhere that told us "no" on that.
Thriftylady 08:44 AM 04-15-2015
I hadn't thought about this, because I have not had an issue, but now that you mention it, I am going to. I always required my daughter to wear something under even in grade school, because she has never acted much like a lady lol. She is such a tom boy.
sharlan 08:49 AM 04-15-2015
I never have and I mostly have girls.
mommiebookworm 09:45 AM 04-15-2015
My daughters and even myself wear shorts under dresses! I have only had one dcg who would be sent in dresses without shorts, and had an extra pair I would put on.
mom2many 02:07 PM 04-15-2015
No, I never have!
AmyKidsCo 08:23 PM 04-15-2015
It's not in my policies but I do strongly suggest to parents that little girls wear shorts under dresses.
Bookworm 08:43 PM 04-15-2015
My center does because of modesty.
bklsmum 04:55 AM 04-16-2015
I haven't before because I have never thought of it but I am finally doing a handbook and I think that is going in there. Thanks!
tntsmom 08:52 AM 04-16-2015
Here is what I tell my parents, little girls do not have the understanding to keep the dress down and trust me I have had parents insist there 3 year old knows to keep the dress down and the minute they leave she is pulling it up over her head, so I tell my parents "Bloomers or shorts under a dress...DEFINITELY YES" That is not just for privacy but so it does not leave a little girl vulnerable and possibly uncomfortable.
Martha Stewart 09:05 AM 04-16-2015
I've never required it from my dck's or my own daughters. They have to at school, once they are school age, but prior to that and at home I don't ask them to. They are little kids and while modesty may be important later on, IDK that an 18 month old needs to worry about it.
itlw8 09:56 AM 04-16-2015
kids in diapers yes because disposables get torn up older kids they all do anyway
Hunni Bee 11:36 AM 04-16-2015
We have a sandbox and wood chips as ground cover. Why some parents are okay with their little girls coming home with a crotch full of mulch or sand is beyond me.

My 21-month-old always wears little shorts or bloomers under her dresses, and will til she's too old to be squatting in a sandbox anymore.
daycare 01:35 PM 04-16-2015
we do for the exact reason hunni bee stated.

the kids emerge themselves in our massive sandbox like they were taking a bath, so the sand goes into places it should not.

I require something under it for a layer of protection.

I also had a little girl who wore dresses every day and panties too big. She did not have something over her underwear. you could see all of her privates.

none of the kids saw it, but i did and that was the end of that. I made her go put shorts on and from that day forward, we all wear a protective layer over our panties when wearing dresses or skirts.
kitykids3 12:53 PM 04-20-2015
Funny, last week dg3 came to daycare with a dress on. Didn't look like she had anything on. I asked if she had shorts on this time because when she wore a dress a couple weeks ago she was flashing her undies all day.
Mom says no, is she supposed to? I said it's not a requirement but last time she had her dress up a lot of the day, etc. Just after I said it, dg lifts dress and puts hands in the back of her underwear as mom is leaving. She saw the point and came back a little later by surprise with a pair of shorts and said she saw what I meant. I'm thinking of making it a requirement.
Reply Up