Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Attendance After Vaccines
SilverSabre25 07:54 AM 02-24-2012
Do you allow children to attend the same day they have gotten shots? Or do you require at least 24 hr exclusion?
Sunchimes 07:57 AM 02-24-2012
I've always let them in the same day. But, I never have more than 3, so I can keep a pretty close eye on them for problems.
Cat Herder 07:59 AM 02-24-2012
I do allow attendance, same day.

I am comfortable with it, though.

I think it is more of a personal decision. One of those grey areas.
MrsB 08:07 AM 02-24-2012
I tell parents I do allow same day, but it has to be at least 30 minutes after they have been given the shots. Just in case they have a reaction. I tell parents though if they are too fussy to keep up with the crew or get a fever above 100.2 then they will need to be picked up. I do allow parents to give tylenol before they bring them. Most parents try to get afternoon appointments, so its not usually an issue.
cheerfuldom 08:09 AM 02-24-2012
I'm okay with them coming. Its never been a huge issue for us
Blackcat31 08:26 AM 02-24-2012
NOPE. Mine stay out for 48 hours. NEVER had this rule until last year. I have had two kids have seizures after imms and that was enough for me to make the rule.

I am too old to even want to go there.

Now I make sure all my dck's have imms when parents have two days off or have the imms done on Fridays when I am off for two days. One more liability issue I am not having to deal with.
jojosmommy 08:36 AM 02-24-2012
I allow but recommended they do shots on Friday afternoon.
My own son had a seizure after shots at 12 mo, still does occasionally now and I have a current dck with seizure disorder so I don't worry too much about it.

I have thought about making it a rule but figure I can't tell them everything under the sun.
Jenniferdawn 08:43 AM 02-24-2012
I'm the same as Blackcat. I don't give my own kids immunizations and I don't wnt to have to watch out for the reactions in other children as well. They have to give them on Friday after care as well.
Breezy 09:07 AM 02-24-2012
Oh how scary with the seizures! My 12 month old just had 5 shots yesterday and now I'm all nervous :-(I well, I was nervous before but more so now.
SilverSabre25 01:34 PM 02-24-2012
I'm leaning towards exclusion for 24 hrs, at least. I don't want to deal with the yucky diapers, the fussing, the low-grade fevers, nothing. Yuck.

Maybe if I did it at least for the under-2 crowd? Older kids can at least tell us "my leg hurts" or whatever but the babies just scream.

I have two here today who just got shots this morning...one is fussing and refusing his bottle (unusual for him). The older one is being a pill, but that's more or less normal.
MarinaVanessa 03:21 PM 02-24-2012
I require 48 hours exclusion and suggest that parents schedule their childs immunizations on Friday afternoons so that they don't have to take 2 days off from work. Their 48 hours can go by on the weekends. A DC provider in my area had a child that got a fever after getting immunizations. She got picked up but got worse at home and had to go to the emergency room because her fever got so high she had a seizure. I guess it was a bad reaction to the immunizations. It scared the bugeezuz out of the DC provider and me after she told me what happened. Someone on here mentioned having a 48 hour exclusion policy and I immediately changed mine to this too for piece of mind.
littlemissmuffet 06:39 PM 02-24-2012
Nope, not allowed at daycare the same day of immunizations. They can come the next day, but I recommend Friday afternoon appointments as well.
jojosmommy 06:41 PM 02-24-2012
Febrile seizures are scary but typically don't harm children or the brain. My son gets them almost every time he has a fever.

He has been checked out by many different doctors and the information is the same. Rarely do imms cause seizures in children who are healthy and not otherwise seizure prone. I would avoid scaring parents over something that is unlikely to happen anyway.

And in my daycare imms are required so I'd rather they get them and not make it a pain to do so.
daycare 06:43 PM 02-24-2012
They can attend if they are willing to sign documentation that their child received an immunization that day.

Info required:
Name of shot
Name of doctor
Time of injection
Has child had any past issues with immunizations??

That's all I require
daycare 06:49 PM 02-24-2012
I wanted to add that I understand the reasoning for the exclusion is to lower the risk of liability you want to assume, but I know my parents wouldn't go for that at all.

But I like the idea
littlemissmuffet 07:02 PM 02-24-2012
Originally Posted by jojosmommy:
Febrile seizures are scary but typically don't harm children or the brain. My son gets them almost every time he has a fever.

He has been checked out by many different doctors and the information is the same. Rarely do imms cause seizures in children who are healthy and not otherwise seizure prone. I would avoid scaring parents over something that is unlikely to happen anyway.

And in my daycare imms are required so I'd rather they get them and not make it a pain to do so.
As a provider who has experienced several febrile seizures in diffrent dcks, I completely disagree - each and every seizure that occurred in my care was their first one and the children weren't prone.

It's one thing to experience your own child going through a situation like this - you know him, you know his medical history, etc. When it happens to a dck it's incredibly traumatizing and you don't necessarily know what's going on with the child when it happens because you don't know their history!!

Where I live immunization clinics are open in the evenings - is this available where you live? There's no excuse why *my* dcps can't book an appointment outside of work and daycare hours.

Anyhow, my primary reason for exclusion is actually crankiness. I had some very awful experiences with little ones coming after their needles and being totally intolerable.
littlemissmuffet 07:08 PM 02-24-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
I wanted to add that I understand the reasoning for the exclusion is to lower the risk of liability you want to assume, but I know my parents wouldn't go for that at all.

But I like the idea
It's too bad your parent's have no respect for you. I couldn't imagine not implimenting a policy I felt was a good idea for myself, my business and my household as whole because "my parents wouldn't go for it".... I can't believe the amount of power some people on this board give their clients!! It's your home, your business, your rules... your clients don't get a say! I promise you, you will get better clients who respect you once you start respecting yourself!
SilverSabre25 07:13 PM 02-24-2012

But I like the idea
Heh, the biggest part of the reason is lack of interest in dealing with the extreme crankiness and other side effects of shots!

Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:

Anyhow, my primary reason for exclusion is actually crankiness. I had some very awful experiences with little ones coming after their needles and being totally intolerable.
Glad I'm not the only one that feels this way!
daycare 01:34 PM 02-25-2012
It's not that my parents don't respect me. It's that
I don't think I could get parents to agree to it. It's not heard of around here. Trust me I know. I posted a similar thread about this very subject about 6 months ago or so.

I did my research in my area and every single place that I called do not have such a rule.
Its not a matter of respect, it a matter of what I know would not work in my area.

And if I were to exclude for he reason of cranky kids then I would never be open.
jojosmommy 06:55 PM 02-25-2012
If all the dcs did this then the clinic would be to full on Friday to do all the shots for everyone who needed them. Plus my preferred md doesn't even work Fridays so it would be out of the question for me. I think micromanaging people is a waste of time. Either you won't get people to sign up or they will find a way around it, lie or something. I don't exclude for crankyness, that's a joke.

I believe in the effectiveness of the immunizations and am not going to worry about the slim possibility of something happening. The number of kids with bad reactions is less than the time, worry, and annoyance, of trying to enforce a policy like this anyway. And like I said before, I would rather they be immunized for the sake of my family and the rest of the population than be annoying about it.
littlemissmuffet 07:51 AM 02-26-2012
If all the dcs did this then the clinic would be to full on Friday to do all the shots for everyone who needed them. Plus my preferred md doesn't even work Fridays so it would be out of the question for me. I think micromanaging people is a waste of time. Either you won't get people to sign up or they will find a way around it, lie or something. I don't exclude for crankyness, that's a joke.

I believe in the effectiveness of the immunizations and am not going to worry about the slim possibility of something happening. The number of kids with bad reactions is less than the time, worry, and annoyance, of trying to enforce a policy like this anyway. And like I said before, I would rather they be immunized for the sake of my family and the rest of the population than be annoying about it.
Actually, I am at full capacity at all times and have been all the years I have been in DC... and my parent's can't lie to me about when they get their kid's vaccines because I require a copy of the paperwork for their file (which includes date and time of appointment). Not ONE of my parents have ever had an issue with this rule...

I don't excluse for crankiness, either. I do excluse after immunizations because it inevitably causes intolerable crankiness is most children I have dealt with. It isn't a joke - it's my rule and my parents RESPECT that because they know when they get home and are dealing with their cranky child that it would have been difficult for me to do so while also caring for other children. My parents actually RESPECT me... those who don't are shown the door immediately.

I am not being "annoying" as you put it - if this were the case, then I either wouldn't have clients, or I wouldn't have immunized children - I have both. My own daycare parents AGREE with *me* having this policy... strange to me that you can't.
SilverSabre25 08:31 AM 02-26-2012

WOW. You are absolutely entitled to your opinion but your attitude was uncalled for!

Excluding for grumpy kids is one thing...excluding for the inconsolable crankiness that IME comes after most imms. is a WHOLE different ball of wax! That a lot closer to a sick child than a cranky well child--especially when it's a baby! If the screaming, crying, bottle refusing, and nasty diaper leaks are interfering with me providing appropriate care to the other kids, then that child should be HOME, no matter the cause.

This is not a debate about the effectiveness or benefit of vaccines; it's about whether a child who has just had a shot should be in child care or at home. I"m glad you feel so strong in your position that it doesn't matter. It's good to have so much confidence in your own policies. Now if you please, some of us feel differently from you and would appreciate some respect even if you don't agree.
littlemissmuffet 09:05 AM 02-26-2012
It's not that my parents don't respect me. It's that
I don't think I could get parents to agree to it. It's not heard of around here. Trust me I know. I posted a similar thread about this very subject about 6 months ago or so.

I did my research in my area and every single place that I called do not have such a rule.
Its not a matter of respect, it a matter of what I know would not work in my area.

And if I were to exclude for he reason of cranky kids then I would never be open.

I get what you're saying and understand your logic. My logic, however, is that it doesn't matter what the daycare across the street does, it doesn't matter what the daycare 60 surrounding daycares in my area of town do - I am not them. MY daycare, MY rules. My clients don't argue with me - they don't question my rules... they know coming in, this is how it is and they accept that. They don't compare me to other daycares because that will get them nowhere - I am NOT other daycares, I am my own. So, this is why I see it as a respect issue.

Also, I can't build my daycare up around what other daycares do and don't do... otherwise my dck's would be eating ramen noodles for lunch everyday, never have any outdoor time and watch tv all day long. Unfortunately, that's how the majority of "dayhomes" in my area are run.
sharlan 09:17 AM 02-26-2012
I've never excluded for vaccines. In fact, I've taken 6 or 8 kids to the pedi for their shots. I've been really lucky, I've yet to have a child become inconsolable afterwards.
littlemissmuffet 10:02 AM 02-26-2012
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I've never excluded for vaccines. In fact, I've taken 6 or 8 kids to the pedi for their shots. I've been really lucky, I've yet to have a child become inconsolable afterwards.
Lucky, indeed! And taking dcks to get their shots is really going the extra mile, IMO - your parents are very lucky to have you!!
Blackcat31 01:16 PM 02-26-2012
For 15 years, I paid no attention to when kids had their imms. However, if they had imms and came to daycare the next day and were cranky, whiney or had diarrhea or any other symptom that I would normally send them home for, I did.
If it wasn't unbearable, I dealt with it and never gave it another thought. For some I even dispensed Tylenol when they were just plain uncomfortable or achey. NO ISSUES whatsoever.

With that being said though 3 times in the last 5 years I have had children with NO EVIDENCE of having any issues with imms previously have seizures. After that, I changed my rules/policies to imms done on Fridays or when the parent has two days off.

No way am I EVER dealing with that kind of thing again. I CHOOSE not to and I don't HAVE to.

I have no idea how many, if any other daycares in my area have that rule and I frankly don't care. I have the rule and if parents want to enroll in my program, that is really a small rule to have to deal with IMPO.

I mean really, how many imms does a kid get during the first 5 years of life? Not enough that it would mean choosing a different daycare.

When I interview, I explain to the parent how it is not only better for the child to be with a family member should something happen (or even just having the child feel like crap afterwards) but how the parent would more than likely prefer that as well.

In my opinion, it is all in how you "sell" the idea to them.

If I tried to sell it as being better for me only, they probably wouldn't take it as seriously as they do when I sell it as being better for them and their child.
PitterPatter 01:49 PM 02-26-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
For 15 years, I paid no attention to when kids had their imms. However, if they had imms and came to daycare the next day and were cranky, whiney or had diarrhea or any other symptom that I would normally send them home for, I did.
If it wasn't unbearable, I dealt with it and never gave it another thought. For some I even dispensed Tylenol when they were just plain uncomfortable or achey. NO ISSUES whatsoever.

With that being said though 3 times in the last 5 years I have had children with NO EVIDENCE of having any issues with imms previously have seizures. After that, I changed my rules/policies to imms done on Fridays or when the parent has two days off.

No way am I EVER dealing with that kind of thing again. I CHOOSE not to and I don't HAVE to.

I have no idea how many, if any other daycares in my area have that rule and I frankly don't care. I have the rule and if parents want to enroll in my program, that is really a small rule to have to deal with IMPO.

I mean really, how many imms does a kid get during the first 5 years of life? Not enough that it would mean choosing a different daycare.
When I interview, I explain to the parent how it is not only better for the child to be with a family member should something happen (or even just having the child feel like crap afterwards) but how the parent would more than likely prefer that as well.

If I tried to sell it as being better for me only, they probably wouldn't take it as seriously as they do when I sell it as being better for them and their child.
Exactly!

It was you Blackcat and Catherder that made me change my handbook last year to request children get shots on a Friday because I did not want the risk. Besides I know when my son got his imms. (especially 5 all at once ) he was so sad I wouldn't leave him with anyone else. Just another good thing I have learned here!
jojosmommy 06:47 PM 02-26-2012
Silver- I think you assumed I was uptight and loud with my answer. I simply stated my position, you took it in a nasty manner. Plain and simple, I don't exclude and I gave my reasons. Just because my opinion is different from yours doesn't mean it was stated in a nasty way.

I have never had kids be so cranky and inconsolable after shots that they have had to go home. Even my own kids have been great after shots, both my kids sleep much of the rest of the day. Lucky maybe.

My question is, if a parent doesn't bring in the slip stating they got imms on the actual day they got them how are you to know they got them? Couldn't a parent bring in an imms form (with the dates they got the shots) a week later and say "oh yea, we got some shots." By then its too late for you to worry about it. Lots of posts on here are devoted to parents trying to break the system, or covering up symptoms to make their lives easier and drop off at care. The same thing will happen with imms IF they think you are going to exclude b/c of receiveing shots. Quite simply I have parents who CAN NOT do it on Fridays. I have kids who are at the MD all the time for speech, developmental screenings, hearing tests, ear issues, gross motor (pt) appointments, so a parent telling me they have a dr appt or dropping off after an appointment wouldn't immediately signal to me they had shots.

I would rather have a kid immunized, know about it, and care for them appropriately than have to explain this whole situation (and possibly scare someone out of getting shots in the first place).

And BTW, this entire post was typed with a smile, no nastiness here.
youretooloud 07:17 PM 02-26-2012
It annoys me when parents schedule shots for a Monday morning. It's hard not to take that personally. But, the two peds closest to me ONLY do them on Friday mornings if the child is in daycare. LOL. I love the smart woman who came up with that idea.
daycare 07:31 PM 02-26-2012

Not many for those that are required by law, however, what about those that are volunterly ?
I also have children that get allergy shots? Do you exclude for those too.
Meyou 02:07 AM 02-27-2012
Not many for those that are required by law, however, what about those that are volunterly ?
Allergy shots are a totally different matter IMO. I took them weekly for 13 years when I was a child/teenager. You're being injected with a weakened form of the allergens to help your body build a tolerance. It's not "medicine".

For immunizations I require they stay out the rest of that day but can come back in the morning if they're behaving normally. It's personal reasons for me. I don't vaccinate and I don't know what to look for. I just tell the parents that I don't feel comfortable looking for symptoms for something I don't have much exposure to or experience with.
Sunshine44 04:59 AM 02-27-2012
I completely agree with JoJo. I get that you are trying to keep yourself from some liability issue, but in my opinion, you are adding one rule on top of another and that just gets old to parents. I think it is trying to micromanage in some way. I think at some point as providers we have to be able to let things go.
littlemissmuffet 05:55 AM 02-27-2012
Silver- I think you assumed I was uptight and loud with my answer. I simply stated my position, you took it in a nasty manner. Plain and simple, I don't exclude and I gave my reasons. Just because my opinion is different from yours doesn't mean it was stated in a nasty way.

I have never had kids be so cranky and inconsolable after shots that they have had to go home. Even my own kids have been great after shots, both my kids sleep much of the rest of the day. Lucky maybe.

My question is, if a parent doesn't bring in the slip stating they got imms on the actual day they got them how are you to know they got them? Couldn't a parent bring in an imms form (with the dates they got the shots) a week later and say "oh yea, we got some shots." By then its too late for you to worry about it. Lots of posts on here are devoted to parents trying to break the system, or covering up symptoms to make their lives easier and drop off at care. The same thing will happen with imms IF they think you are going to exclude b/c of receiveing shots. Quite simply I have parents who CAN NOT do it on Fridays. I have kids who are at the MD all the time for speech, developmental screenings, hearing tests, ear issues, gross motor (pt) appointments, so a parent telling me they have a dr appt or dropping off after an appointment wouldn't immediately signal to me they had shots.

I would rather have a kid immunized, know about it, and care for them appropriately than have to explain this whole situation (and possibly scare someone out of getting shots in the first place).

And BTW, this entire post was typed with a smile, no nastiness here.
My current clients don't lie to me - they have watched me term parents for lying to me and trying to find loopholes in my policies - quite frankly, I don't have time for crap like that and I don't tolerate it. The parents who will try and break one rule, typically have tried to break others... I do three strikes you're out. Bringing me a slip a week later that informed me they had their shots last week would be a strike.

My policy is NOT that they have to take their children on Friday... I recommend it, but they can do it whenever they like - just don't expect to drop your kid off after It could be any time of day or NIGHT (our clinics are open until 9pm) Monday through Friday... they just can't drop their child off for the remainder of the day.
Blackcat31 06:46 AM 02-27-2012
The only imms I exclude for are those that have the risks involved...I don't think allergy shots are included in that. (Exclusion after imms is a new policy for me)

Kids with allergies that require a shot haven't come into the picture yet....and if they do, I guess I will educate myself about the risks involved (if any) for those and then act accordingly.

I am unaware of any imms we get around here that are voluntary so I can't answer that. I mean, here kids either get the full course of imms or they don't get them at all. I haven't had anyone yet who picks and chooses only certain imms. I do have one family who doesn't get any imms at all.
daycare 08:42 AM 02-27-2012
The only imms I exclude for are those that have the risks involved...I don't think allergy shots are included in that. (Exclusion after imms is a new policy for me)

Kids with allergies that require a shot haven't come into the picture yet....and if they do, I guess I will educate myself about the risks involved (if any) for those and then act accordingly.

I am unaware of any imms we get around here that are voluntary so I can't answer that. I mean, here kids either get the full course of imms or they don't get them at all. I haven't had anyone yet who picks and chooses only certain imms. I do have one family who doesn't get any imms at all.
I see. thanks for sharing this with me. Had really opened my eyes.

When I was caring for my son before his adoption, I did not understand immunizations at all. In my country there is no such thing when I was a child. I tired to deny them for religious beliefs, but because his mother already started them, he had to have them finished.

Same with my daughter. In fact she could not start kindergarten because my husband refused to let her have certain ones. After research, he found that two of the vacs that she needed were linked to seizures in those who have a family history of epilepsy, my mother in law has it. The school said that unless a doctor stated otherwise we had to have them completed. We didnt fight the school too much and ended up getting the shots done so that she could attend school.

I am really thinking about adopting a policy like this, have been thinking about this for a long time.

I like the Friday recommended appointments. I think that if I were to tell Parents that I would exclude for 48 hours after an immunization, I would have a hard time finding families or the currents ones would leave. I have a very tough crowd to please....lol
Unregistered doctor 06:18 AM 01-26-2015
I don't suppose anybody ever considered asking an expert authority such as the American Academy of Pediatrics or the CDC?

It is well established that these authorities do not recommend exclusion for the reason of immunization what so ever. Further, excluding these children is 1) an unnecessary burden on the family and 2) a barrier to immunization.

I would personally want my children to attend a daycare center that promotes complete immunization.

Having been on the board of a preschool and having practiced medicine for over 20 years, it always surprises how little professional input goes in to daycare exclusion policies.

Just a thought.
TheGoodLife 06:27 AM 01-26-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered doctor:
I don't suppose anybody ever considered asking an expert authority such as the American Academy of Pediatrics or the CDC?

It is well established that these authorities do not recommend exclusion for the reason of immunization what so ever. Further, excluding these children is 1) an unnecessary burden on the family and 2) a barrier to immunization.

I would personally want my children to attend a daycare center that promotes complete immunization.

Having been on the board of a preschool and having practiced medicine for over 20 years, it always surprises how little professional input goes in to daycare exclusion policies.

Just a thought.
How much professional input goes into doctor recommendations, from professional day care providers? There's more than just the medical aspect to our policies, there's also what is best for the provider and the other families/children involved.
Leigh 06:47 AM 01-26-2015

Just a thought.
Having been on the board of a daycare center, I'm sure that you have plenty of experience with children being misdiagnosed and sent in to daycare to infect other children, too. I know that MANY a sick person has been told they're not sick or not contagious only to discover a couple of days later that it is not the case. If a child gets ME sick, then NONE of my kids get daycare. I'm much more comfortable excluding one based on actual symptoms than allowing a professional guess make that decision for me. While I DO allow kids to attend after immunization, the providers that don't have very valid reasons for that.
Blackcat31 06:47 AM 01-26-2015

Just a thought.
I don't give a hoot about professional input.

I ONLY care about what happens on MY watch under MY supervision.

Your professional input is of NO concern to me.

IME experience, too many "professionals" simply pass the buck and let someone else deal with the real hands on work.

I base my policies off MY experiences and you can not negate or argue what things I have actually experienced in my child care.

The "professional" opinion of the CDC or the AAP did NOTHING to help ease the fear of those children in my care that witnessed a DCK having a seizure in their presence.

The "professional" opinion of the CDC or the AAP did NOTHING to help ease the fear and heartstopping moment my DC mom felt when I called her at work telling her what had happened.

The "professional" opinion of the CDC or the AAP did NOTHING to erase the image in my mind of my DCK having this seizure...nor did they calm my nerves and fears of the possibility of it happening again.

So in hindsight, the "professional" opinion of the CDC and the AAP bears NO weight in MY business or my daycare.
Unregistered 07:43 AM 01-26-2015
"I don't give a hoot about professional input.

Your professional input is of NO concern to me. "
----------------------------------------------
ok, I can tell when I/reason is not wanted. I will sign off.
Leigh 08:03 AM 01-26-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
"I don't give a hoot about professional input.

Your professional input is of NO concern to me. "
----------------------------------------------
ok, I can tell when I/reason is not wanted. I will sign off.
If only reason came into play when it came to these policies. As providers, we just can't accept notes that simply say "OK to return to daycare". We know that it is a lot easier to get an MD to write a note saying it's OK to return to work or daycare when it's NOT "OK" than to get an MD to write a note saying it's NOT OK to return. We know that parents bully their doctors into writing notes that say a child is not contagious because they either want to keep their jobs or just keep their vacation days for themselves. Because of the fact that we can NOT rely on the opinion of a professional, we create policies that work for US, and ensure that ALL kids in our care (and ourselves!) are protected from unnecessary illness. A serious vaccine reaction is pretty rare, but crying, fever, lethargy are not. A child who needs extra care needs a PARENT, not someone who has up to 11 other kids to care for.
Unregistered 08:22 AM 01-26-2015
Any time that a child must be under observation for a reaction, they need personal care.
Personal care does not equal group care.
daycare 08:24 AM 01-26-2015
THis is post is old and it was fun to read some of my old post.

I now have the exclusion rule and the Friday suggested appts.

I have read many of the AAP exclusion guidelines and they would never work for my in-home daycare. Like the ones that read that a child with HFM can return as soon as fever is gone....Heck nooooo, I don't want a child covered in open sores in my house. But if you read their statement on when a child with HFM can return to care, it's nuts...lol
Tags:immunizations, side effects, vaccinations
Reply Up