Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Best Advice?
Brooksie 11:38 AM 10-08-2013
I need everyone's best advice on saving money, time and food while enrolled with the food program. I have heard that its easy to not only break even on reimbursement but possible to earn money as well. I have picky eaters AND dietary restrictions so I really don't want to make 5 different meals and waste food not eaten or break my budget the first month. Ideas? Advice? I have my first enrollment meeting on the 16th and am going to give notice to my families this afternoon. I'd like to be able to no longer accept food brought from home but I know that isn't totally realistic. So dish it... How do you guys make it work SUCCESSFULLY
MissAnn 11:45 AM 10-08-2013
What are the food restrictions?
Brooksie 11:51 AM 10-08-2013
DD is allergic to dairy and soy
KIDZRMYBIZ 11:53 AM 10-08-2013
I'm on the food program, and I don't see how it would be possible to break even on dc groceries, let alone make money on it, but it HELPS out with the grocery expense. And probably because of it, I'm more willing to buy organic or "exotic" foods to sample, which are considerably more expensive.

That said, I think the program is simple to use (once you get set up), and it honestly only takes a few minutes a day online. Plus, it's nice to have another whole "support group."

Only on a birthday or a holiday do dcp's bring food-usually some kind of treat. It's a rule here that if a child brings food from home, they have to bring one for everybody. That deters it for sure!
Cat Herder 11:57 AM 10-08-2013
The large center chain (regional) I used to work for in the early 90's had one menu. Every week, same menu.

It was based on food costs, nutritional requirements, kids willing consumption and dietary restrictions of the group at large. Once they found 5 breakfasts, 10 snacks and 5 lunches that worked, they stuck with it.

As awful as it sounds to an adult, the kids seemed to like it. Even the slightest change (new supplier/substitution) and they revolted.

The centers had very little waste, consistent food and labor costs and the employees did not "misappropriate" as much from the kids for their own use (was a huge issue in the particular area).

IDK, the Nutrition Program Manager was an MBA and Registered Dietitian, maybe she was on to something all along??? To think I viewed her as a "kill-joy" sucking the fun out of food.... Hindsight is 20/20 they say.
crazydaycarelady 12:33 PM 10-08-2013
I think on the higher Tier you could probably come out ahead but definitely not on the lower tier.
butterfly 12:45 PM 10-08-2013
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
I think on the higher Tier you could probably come out ahead but definitely not on the lower tier.

I'm on the higher tier. I probably make money on the food program. I have several with allergy/dietry restrictions too. I have 1 child who needs glutenfree and dairy free and 3 others that have milk allergies.

The best thing that I do is plan ahead when I grocery shop. My menu is already made when I hit the grocery store. I first plan my meals from what I already have on hand. I have a large garden so I freeze as much as I can (or eat fresh). I also get apples from others apple trees, etc. Once I've created as many meals as I can from what I have on hand, I then look at the sale ads to fill in the rest of my menu. I pretty much only buy what's on sale.

I will also stock up on great deals and freeze them. (pork loins = cut into chops or roasts, which can also be made into pulled pork sandwiches, etc)

I spend $100 or less a week on groceries (including TP, soap, household items, etc) for 8 + daycare kids and our family of 4.

I also make all my own baby food. I just puree whatever fruit or veggie we are having that day for the baby. I have to purchase formula but I'll only supply the generic.

The dairy/soy allergy may be difficult to fullfill on the food program. Our local area doesn't have a milk substitute that would fit this requirement. (must meet certain nutrition requirements.) You can get a doctor's note and sub something else if it's a Life threatening allergy.

ETA: I do dairy free for everyone since I have about 1/2 my kids with an allergy to dairy. The only exception to that is I give cow's milk to those who can have it.
MarinaVanessa 12:55 PM 10-08-2013
Hmm, the only way I can figure out coming close to breaking even would be to be on the food program, lower your cost of food by clipping coupons, buying sale items and buying fruits/vegetables in season etc and then claiming the meals you serve on your taxes at the end of year by using the standard meal allowance.

As far as making money, that's difficult. To do that you'd have to everything above but instead of claiming the standard meal allowance rate you would claim actual food expenses which means you'd have to buy and keep daycare food separate from your family's food, cook and feed the daycare children separate food that your family, keep all of your family's food receipts as well as your daycare's receipts and keep them separate. You'd also have to keep immaculate meal counts, meal plans and attendance records just in case you get audited. This way all daycare food is a tax write off at the end of the year, you save money with coupons and sales and you get reimbursement from the food program. It's possible, just time consuming.
Maria2013 12:56 PM 10-08-2013
Originally Posted by KIDZRMYBIZ:
I'm on the food program, and I don't see how it would be possible to break even on dc groceries, let alone make money on it, but it HELPS out with the grocery expense.
that's what I was thinking
Blackcat31 01:00 PM 10-08-2013
I come out way ahead. (I get tier 1)

I pre-plan all my menus, use coupons, take advantage of what's in season and buy in bulk.

I served 10 kids breakfast this morning.

According to the reimbursement tables, that nets me $12.70 (10 x $1.27)

We had bananas, oatmeal and milk.

I think I paid $2.50 for the bananas, $2.98 for the oatmeal and $3.00 for the milk....grand total of $8.48.

So I actually made $4.22 AND I have more than half the container of oatmeal and milk left.

For snack today we had cheese sticks and cantaloupe.

Total cost was less than $6. I made $7.10 so again came out ahead by $1.10

After a month's time it averages out to being reimbursed more than I spend.
Play Care 01:19 PM 10-08-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I pre-plan all my menus, use coupons, take advantage of what's in season and buy in bulk.

I think I paid $2.50 for the bananas, $2.98 for the oatmeal and $3.00 for the milk....grand total of $8.48.

So I actually made $4.22 AND I have more than half the container of oatmeal and milk left.

This is pretty much how it works out here.
Sunshine75 06:12 PM 10-08-2013
Are different area of the US paid different amounts of money? I am tier 2 and know I won't come out ahead. One thing I do is I don't buy packaged breakfast items. I make my pancakes and french toast in large batches and then make them into sticks with my pizza cutter. I then freeze them and use throughout the week. Also, one other thing I have done is to go to a store where grocery stores send them their stuff when it is close to expiration to get it off their shelves. It is very cheap and because I have many it will not be wasted from my family and dck's eating it.
Play Care 03:26 AM 10-09-2013
Originally Posted by Sunshine75:
Are different area of the US paid different amounts of money? I am tier 2 and know I won't come out ahead. One thing I do is I don't buy packaged breakfast items. I make my pancakes and french toast in large batches and then make them into sticks with my pizza cutter. I then freeze them and use throughout the week. Also, one other thing I have done is to go to a store where grocery stores send them their stuff when it is close to expiration to get it off their shelves. It is very cheap and because I have many it will not be wasted from my family and dck's eating it.
For the longest time I was Tier 2. A few months back my food program sponsor called and said I now qualified for Tier 1 because of the number of free lunches my school provides. The difference in my checks has been HUGE. I used to get anywhere from 100-150 a month. Now it's closer to $450 (obviously I am also very full now and my own kids no longer count in my ratio and their "spots" are filled) I have told DH that this can change back at any time so not to get used to it

A couple of things I always do to make sure I can stretch the food budget - I use measuring cups as serving spoons so I can make sure the kids are getting the serving size. I serve a modified family style so the kids can chose a little, the serving size or "no thank you" which cuts way down on waste. Any leftovers (of the veggies usually ) are wrapped up and then served to my family for dinner or later in the week to the dc again (my state allows leftover for which I am grateful!)
LK5kids 05:26 AM 10-09-2013
Agree!
Meeko 03:31 PM 10-09-2013
I'm tier one and always come out on top. I use a five week cycle menu and shop in bulk whenever I can.
LaLa1923 07:35 PM 10-09-2013

Me too!! I feed a family of 7 and daycare and I still come out ahead. How? Well 1. my babies bring their own food, but I serve, so I get paid. I make 100% profit on my babies!!

2. I also buy in bulk, clip coupons, and shop smart.

3. I also always have extras from last nights dinner, heat and serve!!
LaLa1923 07:36 PM 10-09-2013
Originally Posted by Meeko:
I'm tier one and always come out on top. I use a five week cycle menu and shop in bulk whenever I can.
would you mind sharing yours? I like new ideas! I would also share mine!
LaLa1923 07:42 PM 10-09-2013

Breakfast today was French Toast.

Bread- $1.50
Eggs- $1.50
Bananas- $2.00
Milk- $2.50

Total- $7.50

I fed 6 big kids and 2 babies, I made $10.16

I also have enough bananas for later in the week, enough bread for another meal or side at breakfast, and plenty of milk for days. So I actually make even more than $10.16.

MissAnn 10:11 AM 10-10-2013
I didn't read all the comments, but with a doctors note you can serve lactose free milk. I have one who is lactose and gluten free. I serve all kids gluten free but only she gets lactose free milk.
daycarediva 10:26 AM 10-10-2013
I am lower tier and serve organic, so I do NOT come out ahead at all. I DO make menus where I can stretch things though and have recently added 'fresh fruit' or 'fresh veggie' to the parents printed menu so that I can buy what's on sale/in season/best price that week and then just upload it to FB and write it on the take home sheets and bulletin board.

eg. Sunday I made a whole chicken in the crockpot. I drained it (saved the stock) and took the meat off, etc. Monday I tossed it into a pot with peas, carrots and small pasta, and served homemade soup. All the components but milk. Monday for dinner, I made biscuits and spooned the leftover soup onto hot biscuits for dinner for my family.

6 daycare kids + me and dh ate it for lunch.

my 4 kids + me and dh + dd's friend ate it for dinner.

whole organic chicken was 1.99/lb (prob $3-4)
organic carrots/1lb was $1.99
organic frozen peas was 1.50/1lb bag
1lb organic pasta was 1.79

biscuits were homemade, so super cheap. and I froze some soup leftover for a quick lunch for 2-3ppl

Organic milk is 5.99/gal and I use a gal/day easy.

I will do the same thing with a roast, with pork, turkey, etc.
butterfly 11:08 AM 10-10-2013
Another great thing to save money, is measure out their milk. I used to just fill up cups and sippies. I finally got smart. Kids in our care need a max of 1 cup of milk/meal and less for younger children. Even less for snacks (or not at all depending on what you serve.) If they finish their milk, I refill their cups with water. I don't think kids get enough water these days, so this helps get them extra water and cuts down on my milk bill.
LaLa1923 11:15 AM 10-10-2013
Originally Posted by butterfly:
Another great thing to save money, is measure out their milk. I used to just fill up cups and sippies. I finally got smart. Kids in our care need a max of 1 cup of milk/meal and less for younger children. Even less for snacks (or not at all depending on what you serve.) If they finish their milk, I refill their cups with water. I don't think kids get enough water these days, so this helps get them extra water and cuts down on my milk bill.

I agreee!

I do not measure their milk but I do give them only a small amount, they can have a little more if they want. After their milk is gone they also get water.
I also put any cups of milk back in the fridge so they can drink it later.
Tags:food program, food restrictions
Reply Up