Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Following Their Own Instructions
Hunni Bee 07:53 AM 01-06-2015
Hey guys Happy Belated Holidays

I have a really smart, mature group this year. They are basically self regulating, they know when and how to do most of the routine stuff. My issue is when we are doing a project or something new. I explain everything at least twice, and I usually demonstrate what I'm talking about. However, most of them just do whatever they feel like doing. Even after I show them again.

I really do try not to use too many words, but how do you get your kiddos to not just go ahead and do whatever? Or is it just me?
daycare 08:39 AM 01-06-2015
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
Hey guys Happy Belated Holidays

I have a really smart, mature group this year. They are basically self regulating, they know when and how to do most of the routine stuff. My issue is when we are doing a project or something new. I explain everything at least twice, and I usually demonstrate what I'm talking about. However, most of them just do whatever they feel like doing. Even after I show them again.

I really do try not to use too many words, but how do you get your kiddos to not just go ahead and do whatever? Or is it just me?
When we are doing a step by step craft that they need to learn to build the patience to wait and listen, I always give them a do whatever you want craft first to get it out of their system.

The ones I know that have a hard time waiting and not skipping ahead I either sit by me or tell them, help your friend when you are done gluing on the nose or whatever it is you are doing. I also don't set out every material in front of them. Those I know can wait I do and those that can't don't have anything on the table to move ahead.

once they demonstrate that they are building the patience to wait for instructions I let them have all of their supplies...

not sure the age group you are working with but mine are almost 3.5 to 5 year olds.
Hunni Bee 10:11 AM 01-06-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
When we are doing a step by step craft that they need to learn to build the patience to wait and listen, I always give them a do whatever you want craft first to get it out of their system.

The ones I know that have a hard time waiting and not skipping ahead I either sit by me or tell them, help your friend when you are done gluing on the nose or whatever it is you are doing. I also don't set out every material in front of them. Those I know can wait I do and those that can't don't have anything on the table to move ahead.

once they demonstrate that they are building the patience to wait for instructions I let them have all of their supplies...

not sure the age group you are working with but mine are almost 3.5 to 5 year olds.
That's pretty much how we work as well. My craft supplies are free choice, because group can handle glue, paint, etc without me hovering over them. So they do gobs of free choice crafts.

And we usually do the projects step by step and I give them the materials for each step as we get to it. But, for example today we were making a paper xylophone. They had to each cut a different color paper into strips. As soon as I sat the paper and scissors down, they just started cutting willy-nilly. And we had to start over.

Then when we went to glue the strips down, we were clearly going in the colors of the rainbow and I was calling out the colors as they went. Some of them still just glued them how they wanted

I don't do a lot crafts that have to look a certain way, but I do sometimes and this is what happens everytime.
daycare 10:26 AM 01-06-2015
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
That's pretty much how we work as well. My craft supplies are free choice, because group can handle glue, paint, etc without me hovering over them. So they do gobs of free choice crafts.

And we usually do the projects step by step and I give them the materials for each step as we get to it. But, for example today we were making a paper xylophone. They had to each cut a different color paper into strips. As soon as I sat the paper and scissors down, they just started cutting willy-nilly. And we had to start over.

Then when we went to glue the strips down, we were clearly going in the colors of the rainbow and I was calling out the colors as they went. Some of them still just glued them how they wanted

I don't do a lot crafts that have to look a certain way, but I do sometimes and this is what happens everytime.
how old are they.... the sit listen and follow is part of the pre-kinder readiness program.

how many kids do you have?

have you ever thought about using picture cards. or doing your project step by step.

so if its a penguin, you show 1 with two eyes only

then another with the belly only

then one with wings only
and etc
daycare 10:29 AM 01-06-2015
sorry wanted to add. If you have a lot of time you can do a treasure hunt where they find it and then take it back and put it on as shown on the picture card.

we do this with our pirate theme every year and it works out well every time.

I also will not pass out the supplies until everyone is done with a step.
Tags:cooperation, disipline, rules
Reply Up