Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Rude Parents
awestbrook713 09:56 AM 11-08-2011
I get a call last night from a mother asking if I could watch her daughter, I say yes. She then tells me it depends on whether the grandmother is home in time or not, she will give me a call and let me know if something changes.

Here I have sat since 11:45 since I got my other dcb on the bus with no other kids and the bus never drops off the girl no call, no text. I'm irritated to say the least.

Where has common courtesy gone in this world?

Vent over
small_steps 10:09 AM 11-08-2011
There's a major lack of consideration for others now days. It's really sad how inconsiderate some people are.
daycare 10:21 AM 11-08-2011
is this a client of yours?
awestbrook713 10:27 AM 11-08-2011
Yep one of my first dcf's, one of them giving me a hard time for raising rates. This is why I should get paid more for dealing with inconsiderate parents. I txt mom to make sure they didn't just forget to drop her off, no answer. Call her cell phone no answer. Call her job and she gives me the regular OMGosh I'm so sorry my mom called me at 9 this morning, she said she would call you. Ah no how about you do your parental responsibilities and call your own daycare provider like you said you would.

Oh well just went for a walk in this beautiful 60 weather with my husband and son and not going to think about rude ppl any more today.
daycare 10:37 AM 11-08-2011
Originally Posted by awestbrook713:
Yep one of my first dcf's, one of them giving me a hard time for raising rates. This is why I should get paid more for dealing with inconsiderate parents. I txt mom to make sure they didn't just forget to drop her off, no answer. Call her cell phone no answer. Call her job and she gives me the regular OMGosh I'm so sorry my mom called me at 9 this morning, she said she would call you. Ah no how about you do your parental responsibilities and call your own daycare provider like you said you would.

Oh well just went for a walk in this beautiful 60 weather with my husband and son and not going to think about rude ppl any more today.
ugh that totally sucks.....Maybe you should add a now show clause fee to your PHB. Make it a hefty one so that they won't do this to you again..

The weather over here in CA is so wonderful too...
Just Saying 10:41 AM 11-08-2011

I would require her to pay for the day. When a parent calls you and ask you to watch the child, but then also says if grandma can't, That is an open end request from a parent. I would not do open end requests. Either they need you and pay for the service or they use grandma. Don't let this parent use you, your worth more!! Hugs
awestbrook713 10:59 AM 11-08-2011
She knew exactly what she was doing, she didn't add the part about grandma until I said yes.
Just Saying 11:09 AM 11-08-2011
She knew exactly what she was doing, she didn't add the part about grandma until I said yes.
Here is what I would of said:

DCP....can you watch ***X tomorrow

Me....sure, I would love to

DCP....grandma may still be able to watch her and I will call you if anything changes

Me...ok, well why don't you go ahead and let grandma watch her, I forgot I really need to go visit a friend tomorrow and since I only have 1 other child and he leaves early, I would enjoy my afternoon off.

DCP would of came back and said....I really need to have a back up if grandma can't.

Me....chuckle, and say...you need to tell me now rather you are wanting me or not or I won't be available.
Michelle 11:26 AM 11-08-2011
Originally Posted by just saying:
here is what i would of said:

Dcp....can you watch ***x tomorrow

me....sure, i would love to

dcp....grandma may still be able to watch her and i will call you if anything changes

me...ok, well why don't you go ahead and let grandma watch her, i forgot i really need to go visit a friend tomorrow and since i only have 1 other child and he leaves early, i would enjoy my afternoon off.

Dcp would of came back and said....i really need to have a back up if grandma can't.

Me....chuckle, and say...you need to tell me now rather you are wanting me or not or i won't be available.
love this!!!!
awestbrook713 01:21 PM 11-08-2011
I wish I had the guts to do that. It just ticks me off that I am expected to be at their beck and call 24/7 but they don't think I have the right to a higher rate for this convenience
Just Saying 01:29 PM 11-08-2011
I wish I had the guts to do that. It just ticks me off that I am expected to be at their beck and call 24/7 but they don't think I have the right to a higher rate for this convenience
Dear, you have the guts! And let me tell you the first time you do tell a parent, it feels good!! I am not trying to be mean, I love all my DCP's and the treat me with respect. But I have had a couple that tried to always break rules, want more and more. I put them in there place and just said....I feel I am not the daycare provider for you and handed them a list of large day cares and said good-by on a Friday. They cry and I say sorry you have been given my 3 warnings. They cry and I open the door. Then my daycare is back to peaceful!!

This is YOUR business and you can do it!! The next time she calls just say what I said!!
awestbrook713 02:04 PM 11-08-2011
Little by little I find myself getting the nerve to say what I need to its just taking time since I am usually a soft spoken individual, I don't like conflict and never imagined I would run into so much of it in this business, boy was I wrong. Thanks for giving me advice on what to say next time, I definately need to say something like that if not exactly like that.
beachgrl 05:42 PM 11-08-2011
I feel you on this one, I have been dealing with this on a daily basis with one of my drop in kids..never know what days or by what time the kid will come so never can plan ahead...I have decided to not offer them the flexibility of drop in while having me available to them all week. I have had to have. Couple confrotations and had to asset myself with both the families but most definitely this one the most...my hubby almostnhit the floor one day when I asked mom at pickup one afternoon if dcb would be there tomorrowmor not after hiving me indication that he might be. She Said idk, but if you haven't heard from me by 11, he won't be coming. Uhhh..really? No duh..bc I already assume if I haven't heard by 10am w this family that he isn't..but isn't that just ridiculous?

So inconsiderate and I guess the look on my face said a lot, bc then she said is that okay? I was like well uh if you won't know until then fine butmi can't guarantee I will be here as I do errand running days I dint have kids, she then said she would figure itnout and let me know by that night. She did let me know he wouldnt be coming that night...but it's time and time again things like that with them.
awestbrook713 06:03 PM 11-08-2011
I feel your pain. I just don't get it why they think they can get away with this
and that its ok.
wdmmom 08:01 PM 11-08-2011
Gotta love it. Sounds like a classic case of "I love my cell phone, I need my phone, I can't live without my phone" but when it comes to making a call...can't do it. DUHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
awestbrook713 02:45 AM 11-09-2011
She used the excuse that her mother said she would call, my problem with this answer is I did not enter into a contract with her mother I entered it with her, she was the one that asked me to watch her daughter and said SHE would call me. This is the norm for her anything to get rid of a few parental responsibilities. The words I'm sorry our losing there meaning real fast to me.
beachgrl 07:10 AM 11-09-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
Gotta love it. Sounds like a classic case of "I love my cell phone, I need my phone, I can't live without my phone" but when it comes to making a call...can't do it. DUHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
Exactly, what in the world? I have added a no show/call policy to my contract just because of things like this!
wdmmom 09:49 AM 11-09-2011
It's my "convenience fee". I require a 30 minute notice prior to arrival time of absences. I don't get it, that'll be an $10 in addition to your daily rate.

I haven't had to charge it but I will and the parents know it!
Christian Mother 11:00 AM 11-09-2011
I family I care for that I really do love and they are sooo helpful with providing work for my husband while he's layed off...but they own their own biz and bring their little guy to me on a drop-in bases. When they started it would be 2 maybe 3 days a wk. Then for 2 wks it was almost all week. Then mom had baby and I didn't see them for a month and then they would like to bring him a day here and there or a couple days but they notified me this week they'd like to start back up with 2 days a wk. When she went on maternity leave she told me that this would be his last day of care and then maybe in a month or so he'd come maybe a one day here and there. At the time I was fine with that but I did tell her I def. need to find a replacement for him bc that would be a huge loss in income for me by just holding that spot open. But I did tell her that of course if there was room I'd love to have him. But I filled that spot a month ago with a part timer who comes 3 to 4 days a wk and I have another full timer starting in Dec. so I don't know if I'll have room for him. They want set days which would be nice but my part timer isn't always set days so I have to either make them stick to set days or have them pay for full time rate to have there schedule be open. I would really like to have this little guy in care bc of all the help they already provide us. I will have to pray that God figures the schedules out..lol!!
awestbrook713 02:25 PM 11-09-2011
christian mother I hope it works out for you. This business of ours has its ups and downs and although kids needing daycare is a given there are no definates to count on.
Ariana 02:31 PM 11-09-2011
Why are you expected to be at their beck and call 24/7? I think thats just what you've allowed to happen. The next time this lady called me I'd say "sorry I can't". It's not worth it!!
awestbrook713 02:35 PM 11-09-2011
Well I had already decided that is what I will be doing. I'm not making very much at the present time so passing on watching kids isn't feesible right now, I have to take what I can for my family and our budget. At the same time I don't want to be a door mat. I guess it probably is my fault but she was still rude.
Ariana 03:19 PM 11-09-2011
Well I had already decided that is what I will be doing. I'm not making very much at the present time so passing on watching kids isn't feesible right now, I have to take what I can for my family and our budget. At the same time I don't want to be a door mat. I guess it probably is my fault but she was still rude.
She is rude no question about it!! I guess I just feel bad that you have to deal with this crap to make a living. Can you get a part-time job or something outside of daycare to suplement your income? Or at the very least make some ground rules so you get paid. I know it's none of my business but I hate it when people get walked on
awestbrook713 05:15 PM 11-09-2011
I am looking for a medical transcription job that I can do from home. I finished the course in the summer just didn't have time to look for job with me being pregnant and working a full time job. I choose daycare so I could stay home with my newborn and still help with the bills. I have rewritten my policies and contract and everything should get a little better next year since I have started looking out for me and my family and started putting my foot down, unfortunately there are still hiccups along the way.
Christian Mother 05:31 PM 11-09-2011
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Why are you expected to be at their beck and call 24/7? I think thats just what you've allowed to happen. The next time this lady called me I'd say "sorry I can't". It's not worth it!!
I think for some of us it just comes down to availability for the day and making extra money we didn't anticipate getting. Sometimes we just don't have all of our spots filled and it's nice to get a occasional call to fill it. If I knew I was full I'd be honest and just say I'm sorry I don't have room today. Either they will call back to ck in again or they'll realize that they've lost that future spot. For the families that constantly cancel I tell them I'm sorry but you've canceled on me X amount of times and I just don't have room to hold your spot only for you to cancel on such sort notice. Guaranteed they never call again or they apologize and do something about it. Personally I'd just make a excuse up and say I don't have room but thanks for thinking of me.
Tags:courtesy, parents - don't appreciate, rude parents
Reply Up