Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do I Go From Ending My Day Care To Returning To Work Outside The Home?
MaritimeMummy 11:44 AM 05-07-2013
I hope this doesn't seem asinine so forgive me if it is...but as some of you may know, I am ending my day care. I got a part time job that allows me to only need to work 4 hours in the evenings, Monday through Friday. I can start in the evenings whenever I want, and on Fridays if I want the night off, I can work on Saturday or Sunday instead. doing office cleaning. :-)

Anyway, the problem is that the company doesn't have an exact start date for me yet. They are waiting for details for the contract with the office. All I know is that I start in June and may start orientation and training next week.

So what would you do? would you tell the parents now that care will be ending, likely the end of June, and run the risk of them leaving you early for other care? I mean, I want to give them as much time as possible to find other care but at the same time, I don't want to screw myself over and have them ditch me.

I basically wouldn't mind some pointers on how to make the transition as seamless as possible. I only have two families...right now, only one is sending her little guy to hold a space until she returns to work from maternity leave in the new year, so I really only have one family to worry about...and that DCM is someone who obsesses and would be the type of person to completely freak out and start her daughter someplace else the day after I give her the news.

Sorry, I know this is long winded but it is really stressing me out!
MamaBearCanada 12:33 PM 05-07-2013
If you don't want to give a headsup now do you have any sick or vacation days left to use for the training you need to do? If I could afford to lose clients I'd give notice now, otherwise I'd wait and give whatever notice I have in my contract.
AmyKidsCo 08:04 PM 05-07-2013
My contract specifies a two week notice, but I'd probably let my families know a month ahead of time. If you can afford for them to leave early I'd let them know ahead of time, but if not, wait until you have a start date.
rmc20021 04:29 AM 05-08-2013
You said you were going to be working nights at the new job...can you still work the daycare at the same time (during the day) until you are ready to leave daycare altogether? Or would the hours overlap?
Tags:closing daycare, closing notice
Reply Up