Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Transporting Relatives in Care?
LD14 02:05 PM 09-12-2014
I just recently started my daycare and I have a niece and nephew in my care. I do not transport any of my dck. Parents drop off and pick up and we do not go on field trips. However, what are the rules (generally) on transporting a relative? It hasn't come up yet, but I feel like it will in the near future. There are times my brother in law has classes in the evening and I could see him asking me to take the kids to grandma's house or something for him after all my other kids leave. Today my husband was out running errands and he was asked to pick up nephew from grandma's and drop him off to me. He didn't due to car seat issues, but he very well could have not thinking about any of the liability issues and probably wouldn't have thought to ask me first- since it is family. But still I don't know to handle this.

Husband could have picked him up and then signed nephew in I guess and I wouldn't have accepted responsibility for him until that point, but since he is MY husband, is there any liability there?

Thanks for input and advice.
Thriftylady 02:31 PM 09-12-2014
Since they are family I wonder if just a waiver would help you.
LD14 02:33 PM 09-12-2014
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Since they are family I wonder if just a waiver would help you.
That's what I'm wondering too...
NeedaVaca 02:56 PM 09-12-2014
Another point of view (since you are just starting)...it might not be the worst thing in the world if you can't do it. After you are full with kids and work all day, the last thing you might want to do is drive kids home ya know? I know for me, as soon as the last kid is out the door, I'm tired/done with daycare work, ready to start dinner, homework and time with my kids etc...
LD14 04:19 PM 09-12-2014
That is pretty much where I am at. At the end of the day I still have "home" stuff todo and I'm exhausted. I also don't want to set a precedence that it is something I'm willing todo. I don't treat any of the kids differently when they are here, I don't think transportation should be any different. If I don't offer it to the rest I don't think I should be transporting my niece and nephew. I will just tell my husband it's not allowed period during daycare hours and that should be that. haha

Thanks for reaffirming my position!
Thriftylady 05:33 PM 09-12-2014
Originally Posted by LD14:
That is pretty much where I am at. At the end of the day I still have "home" stuff todo and I'm exhausted. I also don't want to set a precedence that it is something I'm willing todo. I don't treat any of the kids differently when they are here, I don't think transportation should be any different. If I don't offer it to the rest I don't think I should be transporting my niece and nephew. I will just tell my husband it's not allowed period during daycare hours and that should be that. haha

Thanks for reaffirming my position!
Glad you figured out what you want to do!
Tags:transportation, transporting daycare kids
Reply Up