Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Going to Brag On Myself and All of You!
Thriftylady 03:02 PM 05-23-2016
I was sitting here this weekend and DH brought up next weekend being Memorial day. I of course knew it was coming, but I hadn't paid it much mind I guess. So I got to thinking that my nursing home mom is probably going to want/need care. So I looked at the contract to be sure, yep a paid holiday for me. So I wrote up a notice reminding her of the holiday fee for parents working on the holiday, as I will NOT provide care for those not working. My fee for it isn't enough, I hate to tell you how low it is, because it is way to low.

Anyhow here is how the convo went.

Me: Next Monday is a holiday are you going to have to work?

DCM: Yeah I need to work.

Me: Ok well here is the notice of holiday and the amount of the holiday fee.

Her: (reads it).... Well let me talk to him (fiancee) tonight. If he isn't working I may take off, I have staff for the day, but I was going to work. I may not now.

So I am proud of me because when it first came up the other day I was thinking I should just suck it up and provide care for the day at my normal rate. But then I decided that wasn't really fair to me, and DH could be home I don't really know yet, but being a holiday not as much freight is being loaded and unloaded. So I put on my big girl panties, you know the ones that have the backbone attached? And I wrote up the notice. And I think she is going to choose to give me the day off rather than pay more. I could be wrong, but before she read the notice with the added charge she was working for sure.

I want to thank you all for all the encouragement over time to charge what I am worth. I do work hard to provide quality care. Sadly thought people will treat you how you let them, and I have a pretty big history of allowing them to treat me badly, take advantage of me and such. When I was tossing the charges around the other night, I thought of you all and asked myself what you would do! I know you all would charge MUCH more than the holiday rate I currently have, but I guess that is another hill to climb another day.
Controlled Chaos 03:13 PM 05-23-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I was sitting here this weekend and DH brought up next weekend being Memorial day. I of course knew it was coming, but I hadn't paid it much mind I guess. So I got to thinking that my nursing home mom is probably going to want/need care. So I looked at the contract to be sure, yep a paid holiday for me. So I wrote up a notice reminding her of the holiday fee for parents working on the holiday, as I will NOT provide care for those not working. My fee for it isn't enough, I hate to tell you how low it is, because it is way to low.

Anyhow here is how the convo went.

Me: Next Monday is a holiday are you going to have to work?

DCM: Yeah I need to work.

Me: Ok well here is the notice of holiday and the amount of the holiday fee.

Her: (reads it).... Well let me talk to him (fiancee) tonight. If he isn't working I may take off, I have staff for the day, but I was going to work. I may not now.

So I am proud of me because when it first came up the other day I was thinking I should just suck it up and provide care for the day at my normal rate. But then I decided that wasn't really fair to me, and DH could be home I don't really know yet, but being a holiday not as much freight is being loaded and unloaded. So I put on my big girl panties, you know the ones that have the backbone attached? And I wrote up the notice. And I think she is going to choose to give me the day off rather than pay more. I could be wrong, but before she read the notice with the added charge she was working for sure.

I want to thank you all for all the encouragement over time to charge what I am worth. I do work hard to provide quality care. Sadly thought people will treat you how you let them, and I have a pretty big history of allowing them to treat me badly, take advantage of me and such. When I was tossing the charges around the other night, I thought of you all and asked myself what you would do! I know you all would charge MUCH more than the holiday rate I currently have, but I guess that is another hill to climb another day.

However much you charge - it was enough to discourage dcm from paying it and that's the point
Thriftylady 04:00 PM 05-23-2016
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:

However much you charge - it was enough to discourage dcm from paying it and that's the point
Yes it is the point, because I would much rather have the day off! I don't get many of those!
Crazy8 04:26 PM 05-23-2016
you are better than me, I would NEVER work on a major holiday regardless of a clients job!
Hope you get the day off!
Mike 04:38 PM 05-23-2016
Sounds to me like you're learning how to successfully run a business.
Thriftylady 05:31 PM 05-23-2016
Originally Posted by Mike:
The problem is I KNOW how to run a business. But my heart tries to overrule my brain.
Mike 06:35 PM 05-23-2016
The problem is I KNOW how to run a business. But my heart tries to overrule my brain.
That is one problem when working with kids. Hopefully I stay in tune.
Meeko 06:39 AM 05-24-2016
Her comments showed she didn't HAVE to work. She was CHOOSING to work.

I am closed on Monday for Memorial Day AND Thursday because my daughter is coming home after serving as a missionary! I'm so darn excited! I haven't hugged her in a year! Luckily, my DCP's are excited for me...not that it would matter to me if they weren't!!!!
MunchkinWrangler 09:14 AM 05-24-2016
Yes! You deserve to have holidays off!

Now make sure to get 4th of July and Labor Day off
Ariana 11:20 AM 05-25-2016
Originally Posted by Mike:

Every time you step up like this it gets easier and easier!
Thriftylady 11:45 AM 05-25-2016
Originally Posted by Ariana:

Every time you step up like this it gets easier and easier!
I hope. I always feel guilty, like I am not doing what I should. The thing is that I know people will run me right on over if I let them. She hasn't given me an actual final answer yet. I am going to tell her tonight that I need one by tomorrow. I am NOT waiting until the last minute for her answer.
Blackcat31 11:51 AM 05-25-2016
An answer? I thought she already said she didn't HAVE to work and that you said you weren't providing services unless they HAD to work...
Mad_Pistachio 12:37 PM 05-25-2016
I looked at the handbook a few weeks ago because I just keep forgetting when the DC is closed (they do put the notice on the door, but it is usually a week or so in advance, and I may need to know earlier)... I was kind of struck by how short the holiday list is. I think the longest is Thanksgiving: Thursday through Sunday. and then there are New Year's Day, Memorial/Labor Day, July 4, Christmas... and that is probably all.
really. take it off. get some rest. hopefully, the weather cooperates enough for those who like to grill and be outdoors. parents will manage.
Thriftylady 05:18 PM 05-25-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
An answer? I thought she already said she didn't HAVE to work and that you said you weren't providing services unless they HAD to work...
You have a point. Sigh, when we talked I told her let me know for sure. And I forgot to ask today. I guess I worded it way wrong when I spoke to her the other day.
Thriftylady 05:23 PM 05-25-2016
Well I texted her and she isn't working. The fee did it's job! I wish I knew what was going on with hubby. I know he is getting home either tomorrow or Friday, he has to get the stitch taken out of his eye Friday. But I have no idea what is going on after that. He may be here until Monday, because a lot of companies being closed for the holiday getting loads loaded and unloaded stops. He may have to pick up something pre loaded though. He doesn't get paid holidays, just for the miles he drives. So being home hurts the paycheck, but the time together is always welcome. Until it is to much of it lol.
Blackcat31 08:19 PM 05-25-2016
Well I texted her and she isn't working. The fee did it's job! I wish I knew what was going on with hubby. I know he is getting home either tomorrow or Friday, he has to get the stitch taken out of his eye Friday. But I have no idea what is going on after that. He may be here until Monday, because a lot of companies being closed for the holiday getting loads loaded and unloaded stops. He may have to pick up something pre loaded though. He doesn't get paid holidays, just for the miles he drives. So being home hurts the paycheck, but the time together is always welcome. Until it is to much of it lol.

The time off is definitely worth it!
Especially when spent with family
Tags:days off, holidays - off
Reply Up