Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>A Silly Question About Babysitting.....How Do I Ask Nicely About Pay?
Former Teacher 07:48 PM 01-08-2011
I have posted several ads about caring for kids on the weekends. I also answer many ads on care.com, sittercity, craigslist etc.

My question is when the parent lists pay as between $5-$15 an hour or whatever it may be, how do you ask nicely how much the pay actually is?

The reason why I am asking is that I live in a small town. It takes me 30 mins to get to a major city. My full time job is 45 mins (on a good day) away. I do not mind the travel. However, if I am going to be traveling, as 30-45 mins away, I don't want to work for no $5.00 an hour. That won't even cover gas!

I would rather ask before I even go on these interviews so I am not wasting anyone's time. However I don't want to appear rude either.

Any advise would be appreciated! Thanks!
momofboys 07:53 PM 01-08-2011
Originally Posted by Former Teacher:
I have posted several ads about caring for kids on the weekends. I also answer many ads on care.com, sittercity, craigslist etc.

My question is when the parent lists pay as between $5-$15 an hour or whatever it may be, how do you ask nicely how much the pay actually is?

The reason why I am asking is that I live in a small town. It takes me 30 mins to get to a major city. My full time job is 45 mins (on a good day) away. I do not mind the travel. However, if I am going to be traveling, as 30-45 mins away, I don't want to work for no $5.00 an hour. That won't even cover gas!

I would rather ask before I even go on these interviews so I am not wasting anyone's time. However I don't want to appear rude either.

Usually when I reply to such ads (I do a lot on Care.com) I specify what I would require in a polite way. . . . such as, "I would be willing to negotiate price with you in the range of $8-10 per hour." That will weed anyone out if they only want to pay you $5.00.
momofboys 07:54 PM 01-08-2011
Originally Posted by Former Teacher:

I would just politely say in your response/application that you would love to work with the parents & would require pay in the range of $8-10/hr (or whatever you would need to make it worthwhile for you). Then if that is too much you won't hear back from those who only wish to pay $5/hr.
momofboys 07:56 PM 01-08-2011
I also apply for many things on Care.com & many are not too close to me. This is how I handle it. Typically I will state in my application that I would require pay in the range of $8-10/hr (or whatever amount you would need to make it worthwhile). That will weed out those who only wish to pay you $5.
momofboys 04:03 AM 01-09-2011
Sorry for my multiple responses on here. Everytime I responded it kept telling me that my response would need to be moderated so I responded again not realizing all responses would be posted!
Former Teacher 05:25 AM 01-09-2011
Thanks Janarae!

When I answer an ad for the first time, I always say:

Hi Sally!

I am interested in your ad. Please look at my profile. If you have any questions, please contact me.

Have a great day!

I think I will wait until I hear from them because like I said, I don't want to scare them away.
Abigail 10:07 AM 01-09-2011
I don't set a dollar amount specifically. I know they have $5 increments, so mine I think says $5-$10 for what I charge. When I talk to them online or on the phone, I tell them I ask for minimum wage if it's just occasional sitting. Then they can choose whether they think minimum wage would round down to $7 or up to $8 and I don't have a problem with either. (It's $7.25)

Since I live in a medium sized city, driving costs were only an issue a few times, but I just don't sit for them anymore. It's not worth my time and I'm sure they found someone else. I would mention in your situation that do have to drive so-many-miles and they should end up asking how much you want for gas money. Decide ahead of time how much you would need for gas and how much minimum to make per hour and try to get it either by asking for a low hourly rate and set fuel amount or just ask for the higher hourly amount. The downfall to the higher hourly amount is that they may only ask you to come out for two hours and that would be only enough to pay for fuel I'm sure. Good Luck.
Tags:babysitter, charges
Reply Up