Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Raising Voice
jokalima 11:22 AM 01-28-2013
I was looking for some posts on this and found one where the providers were even afraid of loosing control and hurting kids, that is not my case. But I do feel that with some of the kids, including my own I sometimes loose control and raise my voice to them, loudly, very loud Today was one of those days and I was wondering if I should tell one of the parents, because her child just was to much for me today, i even thought about calling Mom to come pick child up, but did not thinking that mom could think that I have no control over kids so kept child, ended up yelling at her and other kids loudly. Like I said in other post I found providers said they ere afraid of hurting kids, I am not afraid of hurting them physically because I know I won't, but I am afraid of hurting them emotionally when I raise my voice. They don't seem afraid or nothing, but I am still concerned. Should i mention to mom that I did raise my voice to child and explain why? Or is that a bad idea?
CedarCreek 11:28 AM 01-28-2013
I would explain to Mom that dck had a very rough day today. Maybe he/she was up late last night and that's why he/she was pushing you to the edge today. I honestly wouldn't say that you "yelled" I would say that you had to use your "stern" voice.

When I feel like I'm going to raise my voice LOUDLY I take a huge deep breath and sometimes I even count to ten. An oldie but a goodie.
jokalima 11:38 AM 01-28-2013
LOl thanks, will take advice, did not know that word, stern, see I can only think of yelling because English is not my 1st language, thank God there is this forum that we can check before we make an oopsie
Crystal 12:42 PM 01-28-2013
I think it is human nature to lose your cool once in awhile. I'd be willing to bet anyone who has ever worked with children has raised their voice with a child at some point, and if they say they haven't I wouldn't beleive em'

We have all done it, I am sure. Rarely, but it does happen.

I would tell Mom what her child did, that this occurred after having to speak with him numerous times about his behavior and that you did raise your voice at her child.

If she gets mad, well then, that gives you a good idea of why his behavior is the way it is.
Meyou 12:47 PM 01-28-2013
I always tell the parents if a child and I have had a rough day and I've raise my voice. I'm only human so I'm not ashamed to admit that sometimes they get to me. But I do always mention it since it's out of the ordinary. I'll just say something like, "DCG had a rough day today. I had to bark a little and I was pretty cross, wasn't I DCG?" Then we usually get big eyes and , "Uh huh, I didn't wisten!"
spud912 12:59 PM 01-28-2013
I feel like I'm always yelling .
  1. Usually it's because I'm in the other room and I'm trying to get someone's attention (like I'm changing a diaper and I yell at someone to come to the bathroom or get something for me).
  2. I also yell when I play with them. I frequently pretend to be a monster and yell at them while chasing them around.
  3. Then on rare occasion when I feel they are not listening after repeatedly telling them to do something (or they are talking over me) I will raise my voice above everyone else's to command the attention of the room.

daycarediva 01:28 PM 01-28-2013
If the kids weren't scared, I am guessing you weren't as bad as you say. lol

I have raised my voice to dck's before. I ALWAYS tell parents.

I'm not a yeller, so the kids know that when I yell, I mean business. A louder than everyone else voice IS yelling at my house. LOL
Blackcat31 01:33 PM 01-28-2013
Originally Posted by Meyou:
I always tell the parents if a child and I have had a rough day and I've raise my voice. I'm only human so I'm not ashamed to admit that sometimes they get to me. But I do always mention it since it's out of the ordinary. I'll just say something like, "DCG had a rough day today. I had to bark a little and I was pretty cross, wasn't I DCG?" Then we usually get big eyes and , "Uh huh, I didn't wisten!"
^^ this is how I handle it as well.

Sometimes we yell. We are human. I doubt it is the first time the child was yelled at and it probably won't be the last.
daycare 01:38 PM 01-28-2013
this just came in my email ...... I found it very interesting!!

http://www.babycenter.com/4_do-you-y...ZnwyMDEzMDEyMw..
sharlan 03:43 PM 01-28-2013
Originally Posted by Crystal:
I think it is human nature to lose your cool once in awhile. I'd be willing to bet anyone who has ever worked with children has raised their voice with a child at some point, and if they say they haven't I wouldn't beleive em'

We have all done it, I am sure. Rarely, but it does happen.

I would tell Mom what her child did, that this occurred after having to speak with him numerous times about his behavior and that you did raise your voice at her child.

If she gets mad, well then, that gives you a good idea of why his behavior is the way it is.
I try not to, but I know that I've raised my voice a few million times with my daycare kids.

I had a gf who NEVER, EVER raised her voice. When she got upset, she would sing There is Love All Around. The more upset she got, the quieter she sang. Her kids knew that when she started whispering, they'd be having a talk with Dad real soon.
Unregistered 10:12 PM 01-28-2013
After reading the responses on this site regarding the issue of a child mistakenly being left in a car and how the majority of posts all seemed to think the right thing to do is to perjure oneself by reporting this mistake. I can only assume that after the comments of justifying yelling at the children, you will have the same conviction to follow the "mandate" to report a violation of a child's "personal rights" as described in the childcare regulations in Ca, as well many other states.

This regulation clearly states that you may not raise your voice to threaten, scare or intimidate a child. Raising your voice for any reason is clearly a violation.

We all make mistakes and have been at our "wits end", we are all human.

My prayer is that none of us ever make a mistake that hurts a child and that we all may have the patience to deal with children daily.
snips&snails 10:14 PM 01-28-2013
LOL a lot of the teachers I have worked it call it "Using my angry voice"
daycarediva 02:22 AM 01-29-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
After reading the responses on this site regarding the issue of a child mistakenly being left in a car and how the majority of posts all seemed to think the right thing to do is to perjure oneself by reporting this mistake. I can only assume that after the comments of justifying yelling at the children, you will have the same conviction to follow the "mandate" to report a violation of a child's "personal rights" as described in the childcare regulations in Ca, as well many other states.

This regulation clearly states that you may not raise your voice to threaten, scare or intimidate a child. Raising your voice for any reason is clearly a violation.

My prayer is that none of us ever make a mistake that hurts a child and that we all may have the patience to deal with children daily.
I have NEVER done this. EVER. When I raise my voice it is to get the children's attention. I have a whistle that most of the kids respond to, but I have one dcg who will only respond to her first and middle name, said loudly.
CedarCreek 04:36 AM 01-29-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I have NEVER done this. EVER. When I raise my voice it is to get the children's attention. I have a whistle that most of the kids respond to, but I have one dcg who will only respond to her first and middle name, said loudly.
Same here. Unregistered is just trying to stir things up.
Crystal 07:44 AM 01-29-2013

Bold above....what the heck does that even mean?

How is raising your voice "threatening" a child?

You're funny.
Blackcat31 07:53 AM 01-29-2013
Originally Posted by CedarCreek:
Same here. Unregistered is just trying to stir things up.
It could also be a registered user who doesn't want to post under their user name.

You are right. We ALL make mistakes but how we handle or deal with those mistakes define our character, maturity and professionalism.

In regards to the child forgotten in a vehicle, I am wondering how urging the provider to report such a SERIOUS incident is considered perjury?

It was a mistake but how dare you imply that raising your voice to a child is anywhere near as serious as forgetting a child in a vehicle for over half an hour?!?!

No one ever died from being yelled at!
Country Kids 08:01 AM 01-29-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
It could also be a registered user who doesn't want to post under their user name.

You are right. We ALL make mistakes but how we handle or deal with those mistakes define our character, maturity and professionalism.

In regards to the child forgotten in a vehicle, I am wondering how urging the provider to report such a SERIOUS incident is considered perjury?

It was a mistake but how dare you imply that raising your voice to a child is anywhere near as serious as forgetting a child in a vehicle for over half an hour?!?!

No one ever died from being yelled at!
BC-there is a difference between raising your voice though and being yelled at. I have seen the effects on children that are never talked to unless they were being yelled at- They may not have died physically but emotionally its gone. It does have serious side effects that can last a lifetime.
Hunni Bee 08:05 AM 01-29-2013
Im confused, too, Unregistered.

You're saying that by reporting an incident ("mistake") where a child was left alone in a vehicle for over half an hour is "perjuring" the provider (Im guessing you meant "incriminating") but...raising ones voice is a violation of the child's rights and should be reported?

I suppose you were trying to be sarcastic, however you didn't do a great job of it. And seeing as how no one had even gone down that road, your post was highly unnecessary.

I will so glad when people get over their cabin fever or whatever and stop stirring up controversy on this forum.
Blackcat31 08:23 AM 01-29-2013
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
BC-there is a difference between raising your voice though and being yelled at. I have seen the effects on children that are never talked to unless they were being yelled at- They may not have died physically but emotionally its gone. It does have serious side effects that can last a lifetime.
Thanks
Reply Up