Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>kids consistantly competing and trying to put other down
Peaches 10:21 AM 04-21-2015
I have two 3 year old daycare kids - a boy and girl. At times they play well together but they also seem to always be in some sort of competition. whether it is explaining rules and trying to rush all the rules out before another gets a turn, rushing to the convitied toy they both want, pumping themselves up with their words to try and put the other down. By saying things like, I don't do that, I got it nah nah, etc. I'm at my witts end explaining that we need to share, take turns, focus on ourselves etc. And then when the one or the other wins whatever it is their focused on the other will all out tantrum. It's just driving me nuts. Has anyone else experience this, How do I get it to improve?
Blackcat31 10:45 AM 04-21-2015
Originally Posted by Peaches:
I have two 3 year old daycare kids - a boy and girl. At times they play well together but they also seem to always be in some sort of competition. whether it is explaining rules and trying to rush all the rules out before another gets a turn, rushing to the convitied toy they both want, pumping themselves up with their words to try and put the other down. By saying things like, I don't do that, I got it nah nah, etc. I'm at my witts end explaining that we need to share, take turns, focus on ourselves etc. And then when the one or the other wins whatever it is their focused on the other will all out tantrum. It's just driving me nuts. Has anyone else experience this, How do I get it to improve?
If all the kids involved are roughly the same age, I would have whomever started the "nah nah nah" to be the FIRST to give up their toy or activity they had and give it to the next waiting child.

I would also make a HUGE deal out of whomever is not the winner to be the one who gets to choose the next book, activity, pass out snack or whatever job you can give them to "show" them that being a good sport IS the goal not being the winner.

If any of them utter a word about being first in line or getting a turn first, they automatically get to be last.

If any of them tease or make fun of another I'd give them some time playing solo with a really really really really boring toy.

I make sure I reinforce the positive behaviors and give little to no attention (other than what I mentioned above) to the others.

I don't give reminders or warnings in this area....only swift, quick and immediate consequences. If they are big enough to tease others, then they are big enough to understand the concept of POSITIVE social interactions and play.
spud912 02:04 PM 04-21-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
If all the kids involved are roughly the same age, I would have whomever started the "nah nah nah" to be the FIRST to give up their toy or activity they had and give it to the next waiting child.

I would also make a HUGE deal out of whomever is not the winner to be the one who gets to choose the next book, activity, pass out snack or whatever job you can give them to "show" them that being a good sport IS the goal not being the winner.

If any of them utter a word about being first in line or getting a turn first, they automatically get to be last.

If any of them tease or make fun of another I'd give them some time playing solo with a really really really really boring toy.

I make sure I reinforce the positive behaviors and give little to no attention (other than what I mentioned above) to the others.

I don't give reminders or warnings in this area....only swift, quick and immediate consequences. If they are big enough to tease others, then they are big enough to understand the concept of POSITIVE social interactions and play.
This is what I do too. I have always thought it was my inner mean streak coming out but I'm glad to know I'm not the only one .
Bookworm 06:30 PM 04-21-2015
Originally Posted by blackcat31:
if all the kids involved are roughly the same age, i would have whomever started the "nah nah nah" to be the first to give up their toy or activity they had and give it to the next waiting child.

I would also make a huge deal out of whomever is not the winner to be the one who gets to choose the next book, activity, pass out snack or whatever job you can give them to "show" them that being a good sport is the goal not being the winner.

If any of them tease or make fun of another i'd give them some time playing solo with a really really really really boring toy.

I make sure i reinforce the positive behaviors and give little to no attention (other than what i mentioned above) to the others.

I don't give reminders or warnings in this area....only swift, quick and immediate consequences. If they are big enough to tease others, then they are big enough to understand the concept of positive social interactions and play.
bingo!
MsLisa 06:47 AM 04-22-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I do the same here with the SA kids.
BumbleBee 09:13 AM 04-22-2015
Are you in my house????? I have two 3 year olds, boy and girl, who do this as well. Drives me NUTS.
Reply Up