Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Mom Dropping Off Late
AfterSchoolMom 12:15 PM 10-28-2010
I have a group of SA's. We live in an area that has two schools on two different schedules, yet in the same neighborhood. The majority of my SA's attend the same school, but I have one that attends the other school. Therefore, I take the group to their bus at 8am, then drive the other child to school about an hour later.

When DCM contracted me, she originally wanted to drop off at 7am (my opening time). I said fine. (Actually, she told me 6:30, but as I've stated previously, I don't open early!!) For the first couple of weeks she dropped off right at 7. Then for a few weeks it was 7:30. Then 7:45. Then right before 8, which was annoying because we were trying to get to the bus stop. NOW, the kids are getting on the bus at 8, and I never know what time she's dropping off - it's been anywhere from 8:05 to 8:35 or later!

Now, don't get me wrong - I totally enjoy getting paid the same amount of money for what amounts to a half hour's work!!! I just don't like the unpredictability. Sometimes they don't show up at all, in which case I've wasted an hour of my day. Sometimes it's so late that I'm sure they're not coming and I start doing chores, only to have them show up in the middle of what I'm doing.

This is also the DCM that has been late paying 3 weeks in a row.

Would this annoy you, or would you suck it up since it's the same money for less work?
Preschool/daycare teacher 01:53 PM 10-28-2010
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
I have a group of SA's. We live in an area that has two schools on two different schedules, yet in the same neighborhood. The majority of my SA's attend the same school, but I have one that attends the other school. Therefore, I take the group to their bus at 8am, then drive the other child to school about an hour later.

When DCM contracted me, she originally wanted to drop off at 7am (my opening time). I said fine. (Actually, she told me 6:30, but as I've stated previously, I don't open early!!) For the first couple of weeks she dropped off right at 7. Then for a few weeks it was 7:30. Then 7:45. Then right before 8, which was annoying because we were trying to get to the bus stop. NOW, the kids are getting on the bus at 8, and I never know what time she's dropping off - it's been anywhere from 8:05 to 8:35 or later!

Now, don't get me wrong - I totally enjoy getting paid the same amount of money for what amounts to a half hour's work!!! I just don't like the unpredictability. Sometimes they don't show up at all, in which case I've wasted an hour of my day. Sometimes it's so late that I'm sure they're not coming and I start doing chores, only to have them show up in the middle of what I'm doing.

This is also the DCM that has been late paying 3 weeks in a row.

Would this annoy you, or would you suck it up since it's the same money for less work?
It would definitely annoy me. You mentioned that sometimes he doesn't show up at all. Do they pay whether or not he comes on his scheduled days? If not, I'd change the policy. If they have to pay whether or not he's there at least you got paid to sit and wait. But I would also want a phone call or something to say they won't be bringing him, that's just plain and simple courtesy.
You also mentioned it's the same mom who has been late paying 3 weeks in a row. Add a late fee to the policy. If payment is late, at least you get a little extra to make up for it. Seems when you hit a parent in the pocket book, they usually try a little harder. And don't feel bad charging her a late fee! No matter what bill it is, if it's due, and not paid on time, you pay a late fee. It's life. Of course you let them know how much the late fee is as apologetically as you can, but still standing up for yourself. This is your business after all. Not volunteer work. You depend on the income, just like any other business.
missnikki 03:54 PM 10-28-2010
Originally Posted by Preschool/daycare teacher:
It would definitely annoy me. You mentioned that sometimes he doesn't show up at all. Do they pay whether or not he comes on his scheduled days? If not, I'd change the policy. If they have to pay whether or not he's there at least you got paid to sit and wait. But I would also want a phone call or something to say they won't be bringing him, that's just plain and simple courtesy.
You also mentioned it's the same mom who has been late paying 3 weeks in a row. Add a late fee to the policy. If payment is late, at least you get a little extra to make up for it. Seems when you hit a parent in the pocket book, they usually try a little harder. And don't feel bad charging her a late fee! No matter what bill it is, if it's due, and not paid on time, you pay a late fee. It's life. Of course you let them know how much the late fee is as apologetically as you can, but still standing up for yourself. This is your business after all. Not volunteer work. You depend on the income, just like any other business.
I agree with everything except the apologetic part. I find it condescending to apologize to someone for enforcing policies that protect you from being taken advantage of.
Preschool/daycare teacher 04:21 PM 10-28-2010
Originally Posted by missnikki:
I agree with everything except the apologetic part. I find it condescending to apologize to someone for enforcing policies that protect you from being taken advantage of.
You're right. I couldn't think of the right word. I guess I mean, say it as politely as possible, or as nicely as possible, but firmly. Maybe professionally was the better word? Letting them know through your voice that you don't enjoy enforcing your policies, but as a business owner you have to.
marniewon 07:50 PM 10-28-2010
I had a dcm who would arrive late/different times, sometimes not at all. I threatened her (okay, just told her I was going to do this) that if it happened again I would have to charge her a "late fee" (meaning she was going to pay [whatever amount] everytime she didn't drop off when she said she was going to). This was in addition to her regular day's rate. It never got further than that though, as she changed the time six (6!!!) times one day about when she was bringing dcb the next day.....and then missed the time all together, texted me 2 hours later to say they were on their way. Texted again an hour after that to say dcb was still sleeping, they would be there later. This was NOON!! He was STILL sleeping (I'm pretty sure she was - and just ignoring him). I ended up terming her that day. Not only for that, but he was having really bad behavioral problems and mom had begged me to keep him for 2 more weeks in hopes he would get better. I termed more for mom's behavior than dcb's!
QualiTcare 09:00 PM 10-28-2010
it would annoy me AND i'd suck it up and say it's the same money for less work.

i had a mom who did that. i would make breakfast when i thought all the kids would be there and she started bringing him late so it threw that off. the other kids wouldn't starve if i waited for him or anything, but i also liked to have it ready right as he (the last kid) was arriving so i never really knew when to start.

then again, i've been a working mom who had kids in daycare and i would've been really annoyed if they complained about what time i dropped off (assuming it wasn't at lunch time or nap time). if i'm running late because i'm not feeling well or bc my clothes weren't dry or because i wanted to hit snooze - OH WELL! in my opinion, unless you have a contract that has a cutoff time for dropoff and pickup - i can come and go between any of those hours if you're getting paid. there were a few times i didn't have to be at work until 10 or 11 and in that case i would call as a courtesy and let them know i was coming late so they'd know for the lunch count and incase they got any bright ideas to send an employee home, but if it was 20 or 30 minutes - nope.
Unregistered 11:03 AM 10-29-2010
"i would call as a courtesy and let them know i was coming late so they'd know for the lunch count and incase they got any bright ideas to send an employee home, but if it was 20 or 30 minutes - nope. "

Wow that's rude, as your Provider I would be out of the house at the park, if you couldn't be bothered to call me to let me know you were running late. I have things to do other than wait around for a parent who is too lazy to call.
Unregistered 11:48 AM 10-29-2010
I already posted a response but it didn't show up, not that odd considering what has been happening here.

Anyway

"i can come and go between any of those hours if you're getting paid. there were a few times i didn't have to be at work until 10 or 11 and in that case i would call as a courtesy and let them know i was coming late so they'd know for the lunch count and incase they got any bright ideas to send an employee home, but if it was 20 or 30 minutes - nope. "

As a Provider I would be out at the playground, if you showed up 20 or 30 minutes late. Believe it or not, I have better things to do than wait for a parent who is too lazy or rude to call me and let me know when they will be here.
Tags:late arrivals
Reply Up