Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>My First Inspection To License
radhas 08:37 AM 03-10-2011
The inspector is coming to my house on next Wednesday 16th. She said it will take 2 to 3 hours to inspect. I am so nervous. Please advise me.
daycare 08:43 AM 03-10-2011
hi there and welcome to the form!!

First off relax. its not as bad as you think it is. A lot of it is just commen sense.

If i were you, I would get down on my hands and knees and look from a childs view. look to see that there is nothing dangerous within a childs reach. EX: make sure that all cords are out of reach, outlets are covered, cabinets are locked that have harmful prodcuts, stairs are properly blocked off, and so on.

Is there anything in general that worries you?
lil angels 08:48 AM 03-10-2011
Yep relax it isn't as bad as you think and if they find something they will make you fix it and they will come back. I had a list that they sent me make sure to go over that list twice and know exactly where things are. To add to the other post make sure all knifes and things are in a high cabinet, have kinder locks installed everywhere in the kitchen and bathrooms, make sure your smoke detectors work, and have that first aid kit full and ready. good luck to ya
daycare 09:01 AM 03-10-2011
Originally Posted by lil angels:
Yep relax it isn't as bad as you think and if they find something they will make you fix it and they will come back. I had a list that they sent me make sure to go over that list twice and know exactly where things are. To add to the other post make sure all knifes and things are in a high cabinet, have kinder locks installed everywhere in the kitchen and bathrooms, make sure your smoke detectors work, and have that first aid kit full and ready. good luck to ya
yes this... great advice..
They are not out to get you..lol they are not going to tell you NO you dont pass, if anything at all, they will just tell you that you need to fix this and this (if needed) and then will have to come back if necessary.
the only issue I had was that the fire extinguisher that I had was too small. Also if you do have a big one make sure that it is charged..
radhas 10:53 AM 03-10-2011
Thanks everyone. My Husband said he will spend time to clean and ready up the house. I already locked the knives in the box, kept all medicines on the top cabinet. Need to buy outlet covers. Thanks
Meeko 11:19 AM 03-10-2011
Does your licensing dept. have a web site? If so, you can maybe print out the exact form the inspector will be using.

We have always printed one out and gone over it and have always had a 100% pass as we know exactly what she will be looking for and what she will ask! Good luck...in 25 years I have only had one licensor who wasn't a real sweetheart. Don't think of it as someone coming to your home just wanting to find something wrong. They always tell us that they are our PARTNERS in child care. They will point out anything that may be wrong and give you time to correct it.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll do fine!
care-care 07:11 PM 03-10-2011
3 hours seems long to me I think the inspector who came ot my house was here 1 hour maybe 10 minutes more. People told me she was tough and hard and she was the sweetest thing I have ever met! They go over rules first sitting at table to make sure u understand then walk through your house checking. So the more you ask questions at the table the longer that part takes. But by all means ask if you dont know the answer! I was nervous and I had no violations! yeah for me. But a violation is just a fix it report it thingy. I was anal and didnt want any. I read the rule book so many times and every time id find something to check and do what was needed. Good Luck!
Tags:inspection
Reply Up