Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Anyone Else Do Drill Weekends?
Countrygal 02:13 PM 06-02-2012
If so, how do you arrange it? Do you charge a set fee? I'm struggling. Have had to give up several weekends for as little as 3 hours work for 2 children. I'm thinking of changing the policy. Would love some other input.
familyschoolcare 03:37 PM 06-02-2012
How come it ended up being only three hours.
Countrygal 04:04 PM 06-02-2012
Well, only one parent works drills. Originally I was supposed to have them both days of drill weekend, but that never materialized and it is only one day. Which I'm OK with, since they are also full time dcks.

But quite often something comes up and they pick up early. The reasons vary. Like I said, I don't mind because they are full time and I like to help them out, but I'm thinking of charging a minimum for giving up my weekends. I get up early and can't do my cleaning or shopping, so it is a little inconvenient. I've also had other requests to do drill weekends, and I could have earned 32 hours of pay this weekend and only got 10. That's why I'm thinking of charging a minimum. Just was wondering what other people do. FYI, I don't charge any more on the weekends than I do for weekdays. The only reason I do it is to help them out.
familyschoolcare 04:38 PM 06-02-2012
I personaly at this time I do not do drill week ends.

My advice is to charge a flate fee for each day, and maybe espicialy if it is only 1 or 2 DCK get permission to run erruns with them. Like you said you are doing them a fair the parents should understand.

THe only "gamble" on your end is that they might suddenly need you for the whole dya since they need to pay for it anyway.
Countrygal 04:49 PM 06-02-2012
That's one option I'm considering, or possibly a 1/2 day rate which is 2/3 of a full day rate, or something like that. EX: Let's say I charge 3 an hour. I'd charge 18 for anything under 5 hours and 24 for up to 8, or something like that. Mornings are always the most work. After lunch pretty much all they do is nap and have snack when they get up.

The parents are very good about letting me take the kids, and often we'll do a field trip. But it's hard to plan ahead because of the varying hours. I really don't want to go shopping with these three.... lol They can be a handful!
familyschoolcare 06:16 PM 06-02-2012
Another option is to charge more the the wekend and charge enougph that it would be cheaper to have the teenager down the street do it. That is hard it is not like the parents are going oput on a date. this is a tougph one.
familyschoolcare 06:17 PM 06-02-2012
So when you have the children on a drill weekend does the parent that drills get an extra day off during the week or not.
Countrygal 06:23 PM 06-02-2012
Nope. Once I had the kids for 12 days straight, but normally I don't have them on Sundays.
familyschoolcare 06:26 PM 06-02-2012
Those poor kids.

That is not how they run things where my hubby drills.

Are the drills on base? That might make a differnce in how things are run.

My hubby drills at a NOSC
Countrygal 06:40 PM 06-02-2012
She gets plenty of days off and vaca days. They are with her a lot. She's also a very "hands on" mom, so she does a lot with them. It's not as bad as it sounds.

When my daughter was in the guard, she never got "days off" for drill weekend, even tho she was full-time guard. I think some of it depends upon what your actual job is and who pays you.
familyschoolcare 07:12 PM 06-02-2012
yes iot does depend on your acualy job and which branch you are a part of

Glad to here the mom is invovled when and where she can be it can be difficult
Reply Up