Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Would You Make An Exception?
daycarediva 04:19 PM 08-23-2012
The dcb that I am losing because dcm lost her job has been out sick since Wed (high fever, cold symptoms) they gave me two weeks notice, and are paying for next week as well (he is coming). In my contract they pay weither dcb is in attendance or not. They also want to leave dcb as a drop-in & take a ft spot as soon as they are able to do so financially. I really feel bad for this family, I like the family and I adore dcb. I am seriously considering telling them that I will prorate him for three 'free' days so that Mom can go to interviews. I'm not out money, so it isn't a financial issue at all. Would you do this or would it set a bad precedent (me breaking my own contract) if they were to come back ft?
ritah 04:24 PM 08-23-2012
If I really liked the family and wanted to show compassion, I would make an exception...and be very clear that it is an exception because I value them as clients.
providerandmomof4 04:32 PM 08-23-2012
Oh that's rough. I would want to do it, but I don't think I would. I think it would be a mistake. I think you have to stay professional and remember that this is your business and these are your clients and although I've said it before, it still rings true...anytime I've went out of my way to help out a family...I've ended up regretting it. That sounds horrible I know, but, once you leave the professional realm, people take advantage.
MyAngels 04:37 PM 08-23-2012
I think rather than putting as you have, I would simply offer a few free days of care if she has a job interview. That way you're following your policies and you still get to be generous.
daycare 05:43 PM 08-23-2012
one thing that i LOVE about owning my own business is that I can do things like this if and when I want to.

there are families that I would bend over backwards for and do anything for them and there are some, sad to say that I would not.

If you know in your heart of hearts that it would really help this family and not come back to haunt you later, I would do it in a second.

DCMama 06:15 PM 08-23-2012
I think there was discussion about this when I was in my child development class how it is hard when you get close to a kid and the family kid and when they are in financial need we as provider feel like we should help. However, this is not recommended because if we do this for one family it be unfair to do it for another family and not counting that the parent may take advantage of this. You cannot do this to all your family because you be broke yourself. However, I do agree that this is your business so do as you please. However, if your gut is telling you this will come back and hurt your business in anyway you should reconsider. Don't mean to be selfish but your business and you should come first because without that, you cannot help anyone. I hope you find a solution that is best for you.
cheerfuldom 07:32 PM 08-23-2012
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I think rather than putting as you have, I would simply offer a few free days of care if she has a job interview. That way you're following your policies and you still get to be generous.
I like this idea although I would not offer 3 free FULL days. I would tell her that I would be happy to help out while she is on interviews, please call and let me know when the interview is and I would be willing to watch DCB for the time it takes for the interview....should be what, two or three hours tops? offering something but setting limits on it would be generous but still professional
Nickel 09:13 PM 08-23-2012
Maybe you could offer a going away "gift" of like 3 vouchers for x amount of hours of care for free. She can "cash in" when she has an interview. Give it to her in a card that says we will miss you or something. This way you are sticking to your policies, but also helping them out.
DaisyMamma 06:31 AM 08-24-2012
Much better idea.
ShellAve 06:55 AM 08-24-2012
I agree with this.
Reply Up