Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I just sit around all day doing waiting for you!?!?
Angelwings36 08:26 AM 04-29-2013
So DCM who is contracted to drop her 13 month old son off at 8:00am informed me that he son had a doctor's appointment on this day two weeks ago and asked if she could drop him off at 10:00am. I agreed that I could make that work.

She then shoots me a text at 9:00am to inform me that they were done at the doctor and were on their way. I get the text at 9:09am and DCM pulls up at 9:10am. I had literally no time to react to the text.

I answered the door to DCM and dcb who was crying. The family is new here and the little boy still cries at drop offs. Today was much worse though. The first thing I said to her aside from good morning is that when she asks to drop off at a later time and then ends up needing to drop off earlier she needs to ASK me if that works for me first because I am sometimes in the middle of things. I told her I wouldn't have even accepted dcb at 9:10am this morning but I didn't have time to respond to her text before she pulled up. Dcb is still screaming through this whole conversation and DCM seems to be put off by what I said acting somewhat different than normal. I honestly thought she was going to grab dcb back from me and leave crying at any moment. I wasn't mean in what I said I was just to the point with her. I honestly think I shouldn't have even answered the door at 9:10am when she came.

Do you think I handled this right? Would you have opened the door for her? Could I have done something differently? Do I need to follow this morning up with a letter to DCM highlighting my policy on early/late drop offs?

Thanks.
daycare 08:32 AM 04-29-2013
For me if this was just a one time thing I wouldn't mind it.
They had a good reason why, so I think.

Now if this were happening all the time because they couldn't get their act together that would be entirely different.

I think you did fine mentioning that the next time she is going to arrive earlier than previously planned she should have called you.

That's why I hate texting.
Blackcat31 08:36 AM 04-29-2013
My guess is DCM said 10:00 thinking that was the LATEST she would be done at the doctor's but since she was done earlier, she figured she would just drop off...kwim?

Technically, she probably should have texted you that she wanted to drop off as soon as her apt was over rather than giving you a specific time.

I would have taken him in with no issue. I would however, tried to make drop off as swift as possible since the DCB was already off his normal schedule.

Maybe you should just clarify with DCM the "language" used in a text DOES make a difference.

She wanted to drop off "later than her normal scheduled time" NOT at 10:00.

I can see DCM's perspective though.
Laurel 08:38 AM 04-29-2013
Originally Posted by Angelwings36:
So DCM who is contracted to drop her 13 month old son off at 8:00am informed me that he son had a doctor's appointment on this day two weeks ago and asked if she could drop him off at 10:00am. I agreed that I could make that work.

She then shoots me a text at 9:00am to inform me that they were done at the doctor and were on their way. I get the text at 9:09am and DCM pulls up at 9:10am. I had literally no time to react to the text.

I answered the door to DCM and dcb who was crying. The family is new here and the little boy still cries at drop offs. Today was much worse though. The first thing I said to her aside from good morning is that when she asks to drop off at a later time and then ends up needing to drop off earlier she needs to ASK me if that works for me first because I am sometimes in the middle of things. I told her I wouldn't have even accepted dcb at 9:10am this morning but I didn't have time to respond to her text before she pulled up. Dcb is still screaming through this whole conversation and DCM seems to be put off by what I said acting somewhat different than normal. I honestly thought she was going to grab dcb back from me and leave crying at any moment. I wasn't mean in what I said I was just to the point with her. I honestly think I shouldn't have even answered the door at 9:10am when she came.

Do you think I handled this right? Would you have opened the door for her? Could I have done something differently? Do I need to follow this morning up with a letter to DCM highlighting my policy on early/late drop offs?

Thanks.
Honestly, I would have taken him and said it was fine. I'm home anyway and things come up for parents. My parents pay a flat rate for the day. As long as they don't come before I open or after I close then anytime is okay. I do think she could have called sooner though.

That would be a non issue for me.

Well you asked....

Laurel
Angelwings36 08:39 AM 04-29-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
My guess is DCM said 10:00 thinking that was the LATEST she would be done at the doctor's but since she was done earlier, she figured she would just drop off...kwim?

Technically, she probably should have texted you that she wanted to drop off as soon as her apt was over rather than giving you a specific time.

I would have taken him in with no issue. I would however, tried to make drop off as swift as possible since the DCB was already off his normal schedule.

Maybe you should just clarify with DCM the "language" used in a text DOES make a difference.

The request she sent me for this day was through email and was worded:

***** has a doctor's appointment on Monday, April 29 at 8:45am. So is it alright if we drop him off at daycare at 10am?

I totally understand what you mean about her wanting to drop off later than her normal scheduled time rather than exactly at 10:00am. That seems to be the case here. Obviously it was communicated badly though.
Blackcat31 08:54 AM 04-29-2013
The request she sent me for this day was through email and was worded:

***** has a doctor's appointment on Monday, April 29 at 8:45am. So is it alright if we drop him off at daycare at 10am?

I totally understand what you mean about her wanting to drop off later than her normal scheduled time rather than exactly at 10:00am. That seems to be the case here. Obviously it was communicated badly though.
Yeah, sounds like she was just trying to be more exact and her assumed time line didn't go as planned so she probably didn't see it as an issue.

I would chalk it up to a miscommunication and let her know how to handle these types of things in the future.

A lot of times parents simply think we are just standing around with our thumbs "you-know-where" waiting for them to show up.

They often have zero clue how much planning, time and supervision goes into just setting up an activity in GROUP care.
Rachel 09:03 AM 04-29-2013

I agree. She texted you at 9 saying she was coming. These things happen sometimes. She was probably giving you the worst case scenario. In her mind it was probably I will be there BY 10.

I would have taken him no problem, but then again I thought I was strict about policy before I "met" some of you guys here
earlystart 10:11 AM 04-29-2013

Thanks.
It seems you have a strict policy regarding drop off times that is not very flexible for circumstances such as dr. appointments. If that's your policy, fine. It seems the parent didn't know it was this strict, and from her perspective I can understand why she would be acting "different" after what you said. I think it would be a good idea for you to explain why you were surprised by her arrival (because your policy is such-and-such, and you thought she knew), and print out your policy on this and go over it once again. I personally can't relate to having such a strict policy, so it's my opinion that you overreacted, but of course every provider can create their own policies based on what works for them.

About not wanting to open the door - I would think that would be unfair because they are paying for their spot, even if you didn't expect them until 10, their contracted time is still 8am.
canadiancare 10:16 AM 04-29-2013
My policy is to make an effort to be accommodating for drs appointments, however if the request had been for ten I would have clarified that if I was out with the group I would make sure to be home for ten. If she texted that she was ready at nine and I wasn't home it would be her problem to either meet me elsewhere or wait until I got back. If I was home anyway it wouldn't be an issue.
countrymom 10:20 AM 04-29-2013
really it was only 45min. and she didn't know how long she was going to be at the drs (ours range from 5 min to 1 hour) so I wouldn't have said anything. She texted you so that was nice of her.
Angelwings36 10:37 AM 04-29-2013
I can understand why some of you think my policy is strict, however, I have it in place to benefit the group as a whole. I run by contracted hours which means that each family has a specific drop off time and pick up time. If a family needs to change their drop off or pick up time for the day I will allow it ONLY if it works with my schedule. I typically only take families that need a drop off time between 7:30am - 8:30am so I am done with the parents and can focus on the children after 8:30am.

Today was a special day:

- I had some regular drop offs between 7:30am - 8:30am
- I had a special request drop off between 8:45am - 9:00am
- I had a special request drop off at 10:00am
- I had a special request drop off at 12:00pm

This is a crazy day for me. I had to totally schedule all activities around several drop offs. I actually would have preferred that DCM come earlier (at 9:10am) if I had been given advance notice because that meant I didn't have to open the door again until 12:00pm and could focus on the children. However, I had just began to start the children on an activity that was not age appropriate for a 13 month old. Which meant I had to scrap the whole activity when she showed up with no notice (I got her text 1 min before she pulled up). As you can see this was an inconviencience for me and for the group.

I try to work with my families on drop off and pick up changes but I need to know what's going on in order to run my day smoothly as well if you kwim?
DaisyMamma 11:30 AM 04-29-2013
I can understand why some of you think my policy is strict, however, I have it in place to benefit the group as a whole. I run by contracted hours which means that each family has a specific drop off time and pick up time. If a family needs to change their drop off or pick up time for the day I will allow it ONLY if it works with my schedule. I typically only take families that need a drop off time between 7:30am - 8:30am so I am done with the parents and can focus on the children after 8:30am.

Today was a special day:

- I had some regular drop offs between 7:30am - 8:30am
- I had a special request drop off between 8:45am - 9:00am
- I had a special request drop off at 10:00am
- I had a special request drop off at 12:00pm

This is a crazy day for me. I had to totally schedule all activities around several drop offs. I actually would have preferred that DCM come earlier (at 9:10am) if I had been given advance notice because that meant I didn't have to open the door again until 12:00pm and could focus on the children. However, I had just began to start the children on an activity that was not age appropriate for a 13 month old. Which meant I had to scrap the whole activity when she showed up with no notice (I got her text 1 min before she pulled up). As you can see this was an inconviencience for me and for the group.

I try to work with my families on drop off and pick up changes but I need to know what's going on in order to run my day smoothly as well if you kwim?
I can see where this is completely unfair to the group.
Is this parent aware of your strict drop off and pick up times? Hopefully you go over this at interview.
I can see where she would think it is ok and might be a little confused. So it's good that you let her know that it won't be allowed in the future. Did you explain to her about the activity?
Angelwings36 11:34 AM 04-29-2013
Originally Posted by DaisyMamma:
I can see where this is completely unfair to the group.
Is this parent aware of your strict drop off and pick up times? Hopefully you go over this at interview.
I can see where she would think it is ok and might be a little confused. So it's good that you let her know that it won't be allowed in the future. Did you explain to her about the activity?
Yes she is aware of my drop off and pick up rules. I also address drop offs and picks up in my newsletter every 3 months. She just got one of those recently. She likely "over looked" the policy here on mistake. I'm not mad. I get that things happen. I just wanted to make sure I addressed the issue properly so that I hopefully don't have to address it again in the future. I did explain to her about the activity yes.
daycare 11:35 AM 04-29-2013
I look at it like this. Will this situation be a problem again tomorrow or any other day in the future. Doesn't sound like it.

If that's the case let it go and move on from it.

Sorry to sound rude, but it seems like your making a huge deal over a one
thing.
crazydaycarelady 11:37 AM 04-29-2013
I am open 7:30 - 5:30 so I am really flexible on drop off and pick up times. As long as it is after 7:30 and before 5:30 I am fine. This was a one time situation and dcm gave you plenty of warning. It is hard to predict the length of a doctor visit with the waiting times. I just think a little flexibility would be appreciated by the parents.
rmc20021 11:39 AM 04-29-2013
I get it too that you plan your activities around drop off/pick up times. I do the same. I once had a dck dropped off and had my hands deep into a mess of some sort, so getting to the door when I wasn't expecting them was rather inconvenient.

I probably wouldn't have minded though since you knew for sure dck was coming, they just showed up earlier than expected. I'm sure dcm wanted to get to work asap and the appointment didn't last as long as she had expected it to.
Angelwings36 11:49 AM 04-29-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
I look at it like this. Will this situation be a problem again tomorrow or any other day in the future. Doesn't sound like it.

If that's the case let it go and move on from it.

Sorry to sound rude, but it seems like your making a huge deal over a one
thing.
Actually he has another doctor's appointment on May 8th. I don't feel I have made a huge deal out of this? I just asked if people thought I handled it correctly or if I should have done more. I would have never done less than what I did as I want my families to understand my policies and follow my policies which means I have to enforce them. All I did in this situation was mention to dcm that in the future when she requests for a later drop off time and then ends up needed to bring him earlier that she needs to ASK first so I can ensure I can work my schedule around it.

Take these two situations:

What if DCM's normal drop off time was 7:00am and she had requested to drop off at 8:30am. Let's say in this situation my next child wasn't scheduled to come until 8:30am so I didn't need to be up and ready until that time. Now let's say DCM text me at 7:20am and informed me she was on her way with dcb. I would not have been ready for them and maybe not even up yet. Would you not address this situation?

What if my neighbor asked me to take her daugter from 7:30am - 9:45am today and I said yes because dcb wouldn't be here until 10:00am so I had the extra room this morning. Then dcm show's up at 9:10am and expects me to take dcb early. I would be over ratio. Would you not address this situation?

This wasn't a situation of Dcm saying dcb has a doctor's appointment at 8:45am this morning so I will be a little later. Likely sometimes between 9:00am - 10:00am. Dcm asked for an EXACT drop off time of 10:00am (obviously give or take within reason). 50 mins isn't within reason.
Angelwings36 11:55 AM 04-29-2013
When first requesting the later drop off time had DCM said;

"Dcb has a doctor's appointment on April 29th at 8:45am and I would like to drop him off for the day after his appointment time if that's ok?"

I would have responded with,

"No problem. Please just shoot me a text when dcb's appointment is done so I can be ready for you. Thanks."

I think this situation as Blackcat said was a communication break down.

I simply wasn't ready or expecting Dcb until 10:00am
daycare 12:05 PM 04-29-2013
I understand with daycare there are always those what if this or that possibilities all the time. Things happen.

Maybe you should just stop allowing them to text you and this whole problem would go away.

I don't let the parents text me. This way they have to call and talk to me.

You knew dck was coming, they just happened to come a little earlier than expected and mom did try to text you and inform you of this......
MrsSteinel'sHouse 12:07 PM 04-29-2013
The question about what if they said 8:30 and they would be your first....
If they said to me we have a doctor apt and won't be here until 8:30 and I knew they would be my first drop off I would tell them great then I can sleep in until 8 since you will be my first! See you at 8:30. If anything changes be sure to let me know. No in actuality I would not still be snoozing and would be prepared for 8 ish..if I know that I will have all my kids picked up early I be sur I tell all my parents at drop off.. Wow I am going to finish early today so be sure you're not late now since i made plans. Heads up always works for me. Right now my earliest drop off is 7:30 but I am always ready at 7.. Just in case!
Crazy8 12:16 PM 04-29-2013
If you are home with other daycare kids I don't see the big deal, she even gave a text saying she was on her way. I know this isn't the popular opinion here but I think sometimes people get so wrapped up in "not giving special" that everything a dc parent does rubs us the wrong way and we become very inflexible. Personally, I believe parents chose me over other daycares because I CAN be more flexible than a center that has strict times for everything, and I CAN give a little more special to their child because of the small setting. I am not saying throw all the rules out the window or let them walk all over you, but kindness and compassion go a long way. You even say you had another child arriving at 9am, I'd rather this next one come in at 9:15 and then be done till noon, instead of having one come in at 9am, one at 10am and one at noon.
Angelwings36 12:17 PM 04-29-2013
I understand with daycare there are always those what if this or that possibilities all the time. Things happen.

Maybe you should just stop allowing them to text you and this whole problem would go away.

I don't let the parents text me. This way they have to call and talk to me.

You knew dck was coming, they just happened to come a little earlier than expected and mom did try to text you and inform you of this......
Oh I agree the texting part was a problem too. I would rather families text me over calling though because it is easier for me. I just expect them to wait for a response from me rather than assuming no response means I got their message. Kinda the same thing as voicemail. You can't assume just because you leave a voicemail on someone's phone they got it in the time you wanted them too. If she needed to get ahold of me immediately, which obviously this morning was one of those times as she wanted to come right over, she should have called to ensure she got through to me before showing up.

Again it was completely a communication melt down. I can't just have families drop off whenever they please or I would spend my whole day at the door (which you can see from today's schedule and this happens quite often to me). It is important to myself and to benefit my group that I keep my drop off and pick up times organized. I can't do the "show up whenever times" and this is why I have contracted pick up and drop off times.

I'm just hoping the comments I made to dcm this morning will prohibit her from doing this again in the future.

I do what I can to be flexiable I just expect that families respect I can not always flex to them KWIM?
Angelwings36 12:19 PM 04-29-2013
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
If you are home with other daycare kids I don't see the big deal, she even gave a text saying she was on her way. I know this isn't the popular opinion here but I think sometimes people get so wrapped up in "not giving special" that everything a dc parent does rubs us the wrong way and we become very inflexible. Personally, I believe parents chose me over other daycares because I CAN be more flexible than a center that has strict times for everything, and I CAN give a little more special to their child because of the small setting. I am not saying throw all the rules out the window or let them walk all over you, but kindness and compassion go a long way. You even say you had another child arriving at 9am, I'd rather this next one come in at 9:15 and then be done till noon, instead of having one come in at 9am, one at 10am and one at noon.
Oh I agree. I would have preferred her come at 9:15am but because she wasn't suppose to come until 10:00am I started the children who were already in my care on an activity that wasn't age appropriate (choking hazards) for a 13 month old. I can be flexiable too and work my schedule around families if I am given proper notice. Like I said if she needed a drop off between 9-10am all she had to do was ask me that and I would said sure just text me when you're on your way so I am ready for you. But in this situation she asked for an exact drop off time of 10:00am.
HomeMADE 12:23 PM 04-29-2013
I am open from 6am - 6pm, however I have contract hours. So if someone wants a one off and wants to come later I try to accommodate, especially if I was home anyway.

But I have learned to over communicate, I mean spelling out everything. So if you were going to use that extra time to get other things done I would kindly respond. "Great, I will be sure to be available at 9:45 am." So if she text me before then she has been told that you will be there at 9:45 am.

Just a thought.
daycare 12:24 PM 04-29-2013
Oh I agree the texting part was a problem too. I would rather families text me over calling though because it is easier for me. I just expect them to wait for a response from me rather than assuming no response means I got their message. Kinda the same thing as voicemail. You can't assume just because you leave a voicemail on someone's phone they got it in the time you wanted them too. If she needed to get ahold of me immediately, which obviously this morning was one of those times as she wanted to come right over, she should have called to ensure she got through to me before showing up.

Again it was completely a communication melt down. I can't just have families drop off whenever they please or I would spend my whole day at the door (which you can see from today's schedule and this happens quite often to me). It is important to myself and to benefit my group that I keep my drop off and pick up times organized. I can't do the "show up whenever times" and this is why I have contracted pick up and drop off times.

I'm just hoping the comments I made to dcm this morning will prohibit her from doing this again in the future.

I do what I can to be flexiable I just expect that families respect I can not always flex to them KWIM?
Do you have a cut off time? I implemented a cut off time years ago when parents tried the drop off when you feel like it. I couldn't teach, it was so distracting.

I basically said unless you have prior consent to arrive late, no late arrivals will be accepted after 9am. Children not dropped before this time will not be admitted into care for the day without refund. It got the parents to stop that really quick.
Blackcat31 12:26 PM 04-29-2013
When first requesting the later drop off time had DCM said;

"Dcb has a doctor's appointment on April 29th at 8:45am and I would like to drop him off for the day after his appointment time if that's ok?"

I would have responded with,

"No problem. Please just shoot me a text when dcb's appointment is done so I can be ready for you. Thanks."

I think this situation as Blackcat said was a communication break down.
Yep, I think it was just different interpretations of what was being said. Nothing that cant be remedied easily.

I simply wasn't ready or expecting Dcb until 10:00am.
This ^^^ is a perfect way to explain it for the next time.

Since you weren't expecting DCB until 10:00, what if you had taken all the kids on a walk and weren't home at 9:10?

Sometimes I have a later drop off and sometimes that missing kid allows me to do something like a walk or be outside that we don't normally do depending on the kid/age....etc.

Angelwings36 12:31 PM 04-29-2013
Do you have a cut off time? I implemented a cut off time years ago when parents tried the drop off when you feel like it. I couldn't teach, it was so distracting.

I basically said unless you have prior consent to arrive late, no late arrivals will be accepted after 9am. Children not dropped before this time will not be admitted into care for the day without refund. It got the parents to stop that really quick.

I don't have a cut off drop off time in my contract as of yet. Although I had read on a thread someplace that you did do one and I think it's a great idea.

I think I'm kinda trying to do things the same way as you. I really don't want parent's to drop off after 8:30am as it's disruptive BUT if they ask for a later drop off time and I can make it work that day I will be flexiable for them.

The problem was she didn't ask for a 9:10am drop off time she asked for a 10:00am drop off time so I wasn't ready for her.

In the same way that parent's dropping off after 9:00am without permission ruins your teaching schedule parent's dropping off after 8:30am without permission ruins my activity schedule. I am home but I am still busy "teaching/engaging" with the children in activities that I have spent time to prepare for them and that don't work very well with disruption.
daycare 12:33 PM 04-29-2013
I guess it would just have to be one of those what it out and see type things..

If They showed when you were gone then the parent would be forced to see why they just can't show up when it's convenient for them. Btdt.

Parents were pissed at me but it was them who decided to change the rules not me. They learned their lesson and didn't do it again.
Angelwings36 12:34 PM 04-29-2013
Yep, I think it was just different interpretations of what was being said. Nothing that cant be remedied easily.

This ^^^ is a perfect way to explain it for the next time.

Since you weren't expecting DCB until 10:00, what if you had taken all the kids on a walk and weren't home at 9:10?

Sometimes I have a later drop off and sometimes that missing kid allows me to do something like a walk or be outside that we don't normally do depending on the kid/age....etc.

Thank you Blackcat. This is how I was trying to explain it to DCM. I wasn't trying to be rude or mean I just needed her to know the above. Sometimes a missing kid allows me to do something we don't normally do and I started doing this thing with the children right before her unexpected arrival and simply wasn't ready for her at 9:10am.
Little Star75 12:41 PM 04-29-2013
Yes she is aware of my drop off and pick up rules. I also address drop offs and picks up in my newsletter every 3 months. She just got one of those recently. She likely "over looked" the policy here on mistake. I'm not mad. I get that things happen. I just wanted to make sure I addressed the issue properly so that I hopefully don't have to address it again in the future. I did explain to her about the activity yes.
I really feel you in this one, I have learned a lot from most of the people here that we have to stick to our policies otherwise we are going to be taken advantage of.

On the other hand I can see how a lot of people here are saying "wow for 45 min" we'll...... Sometimes it does make a difference but sometimes it's ok. I guess.
It is what it is and you do what you have to do. I would send her a copy of you HB highlighting your late policy. That way DCP will see that you are strict on your policies.
Angelwings36 12:46 PM 04-29-2013
Originally Posted by Little Star75:
I really feel you in this one, I have learned a lot from most of the people here that we have to stick to our policies otherwise we are going to be taken advantage of.

On the other hand I can see how a lot of people here are saying "wow for 45 min" we'll...... Sometimes it does make a difference but sometimes it's ok. I guess.
It is what it is and you do what you have to do. I would send her a copy of you HB highlighting your late policy. That way DCP will see that you are strict on your policies.
Yes you're right sometimes it makes a difference and sometimes it's ok. The problem is if I don't say something even during the times that it can be ok then when it makes a difference it's even harder to say something because I have let it happen before. Thanks for your advice.
Reply Up