Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pregnant
abigailrw5 05:54 PM 02-27-2012
I'm 11 weeks pregnant and I'm thinking of telling the parents when I'm 4 months. I want to take 3 weeks off not paid. What do you say as far as timing . Do you just tell them your due date? What happens if you go early or late? Should I write up something to give to them?
Breezy 06:05 PM 02-27-2012
No advice but Congrats!!!!!!!!!!
cheerfuldom 06:18 PM 02-27-2012
Does your contract allow for three weeks paid vacation?

Pregnancies can be hard because the parents need a permanent backup plan. Tell them your due date and that you plan to work until the baby is born BUT they need to be prepared for the fact that babies are unpredictable. Could be a little early or a little later, thats not something you can control of course. Also, be prepared for the possibility that parents may term right before you have your baby because they will want to try and get out of paying for your maternity leave and for the possibility that your recovery may not go smoothly (and be extended) or that you may not want to continue doing daycare after the baby is born. I know some providers write in things in their contract that termination cannot be given within certain amount of time that the vacation is planned. Anyway, just some things to think about. Congrats on your baby to come!
abigailrw5 06:41 PM 02-27-2012
Thanks Breezy and Cheer! The leave will be unpaid. I have 2 weeks unpaid and 3 paid days personal/sick.
kayla 05:40 AM 02-28-2012
Hey im pregnant also. I will be 30 weeks on the 1st. I waited until I was 4 months to tell parents. Most understood, and my opinion to those who didnt was they can leave if thats how they feel. This is a miracle, congradulations!!! I would tell them what your plans are exactly, and as long as it is unpaid i dont see any problems. None of mine had any problems.
abigailrw5 05:54 AM 02-28-2012
Kayla, How long are you taking off? It has taken us 19 months to get pregnant so I'm very excited cant wait to get to 12 weeks!
kayla 06:20 AM 02-28-2012
Originally Posted by abigailrw5:
Kayla, How long are you taking off? It has taken us 19 months to get pregnant so I'm very excited cant wait to get to 12 weeks!
It took me a very long time as well to get pregnant. I would say if its your first you may want to take 3 weeks, I plan on only taking a week, but you never know if i end up having a c section that wont be happening.

I'm only taking a week because the following two weeks my dh will take off paid to do my lifting and helping me with the kids... I would love to take 3 weeks but right now financially i dont really have a choice.
MrsB 06:49 AM 02-28-2012
When I had my youngest daughter (shes 16 mos now), I took 3 weeks off. One week was paid and 2 were not.

I had one family give notice 3 weeks before my due date. Saying that they were moving him to a "preschool". He termed here on a Friday, Monday morning at 9 am I got a frantic phone call from mom, saying she hated the place and wanted to bring him back. I told her I would have to think about it. She said she would pay all 3 weeks of my maternity leave and would agree to changing the contract to 1 months notice to terminate. So I agreed!

I did have one DCF say that they could find care for 2 weeks but not 3 would, I take them a week early. I said no!

Luckily for me, I tend to be right on time and I had her on my due date. Last day of DC friday, my mom and dad flew in Sunday night, I went into labor Monday morning (first day of leave) at 9 am, had her at 11:33am. My husband always made a joke about his schedule that day because it was all perfectly timed.

8:40am get kids off to school bus
9:00am water broke
11:33 am have baby
12:15pm pick up pre-k child from bus
1:00 hospital visit
4:30pm get rest of kids from bus
8:00pm pick up wife and new daughter from hospital and bring them home

I hope your new little babies have good timing too!
lil angels 07:01 AM 02-28-2012
Mine I told them at 12 weeks for both. I couldn't wait, to excited. I took 4 wks with my first and everyone came back and 6 wks with my second and I lost almost everyone. I was able to almost fill back up to the point I wanted before my marenity leave was done so it worked out ok. I am so happy I took the time I also had c-sections with both. And ended up back in the hospital for a week with am infection after my second. Funny thing is now we are thinking of having another one and my youngest just turned 5 and my oldest just turned 9. So there will be some big gaps in there.
AfterSchoolMom 02:00 PM 02-28-2012
I'm 12 weeks now, but I had to tell at 8 weeks because 1. I have to go to daytime Dr. appointments, 2. I was SO sick and exhausted that it was very noticeable and I was afraid they'd think I have a disease or something. , and 3. This is my third, so I started showing early.

My situation is unique because I've got a teacher DCP now, so I'm only providing care until June, then taking off until January. I'm due September 8th, which is the first week of school, so it's not practical to start new SA's for one week and then take of several weeks immediately. I'm going to wait until after Winter break.
abigailrw5 02:02 PM 02-28-2012
Exciting! It's awesome you can have so much time off! I'm due Sept. 18th!
abigailrw5 02:54 PM 03-09-2012
Just wondering if anyone has any advice on how to write up a letter to parents about the unpaid time off maternity leave i'm taking. I think I'm going to tell them at 3 months 2 weeks (which is in a week). I'm showing quite a bit. I don't have maternity leave in my contract. I will just tell them in person and then give them something written. I'm kind of scared to tell.
DCBlessings27 03:08 PM 03-09-2012
Congrats on expecting! I don't think your dcps should have a problem with you only taking 3 weeks. We've been ttc for around a year. I had a c-section with our dd and likely will have another. I plan on taking 3 months leave if I have another one. I didn't start daycare until dd was 4 months, so I thought I should take almost the same amount for a second. If I get prenant, take off 3 months, and lose everyone, I'll just start over.

Congrats again!
Tags:closing due to pregnancy, pregnant, time off - pregnant
Reply Up