Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How much to tell parents
Unregistered 10:04 AM 03-05-2014
Yesterday I took my son to the doctor and she wants him to be seen by a developmental ped doctor, be evaluated by the school district and begin OT for feeding issues. I suspected these things, but am still so sad for the diagnosis that we are heading towards. This also means we are going to have quite a few appts for a while. How much should I tell my parents. It's really hard to get a sub here. I am going to try to get a friend set up with the classes so she can help over the summer (which is how long the waiting lists are for a lot of these things.) How much do I tell parents? I will need to let them know about the appts. Most of my parents are super understanding, but I know that taking off work is hard for them as well.
SilverSabre25 11:52 AM 03-05-2014
you tell them as much as you are comfortable with. "DS has some medical issues we're working out; there will be a lot of appointments for awhile and I'll do my best to let you know in advance and get a sub, but there might be some times when I'll have to close. Thank you for understanding!"
butterfly 11:56 AM 03-05-2014
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
you tell them as much as you are comfortable with. "DS has some medical issues we're working out; there will be a lot of appointments for awhile and I'll do my best to let you know in advance and get a sub, but there might be some times when I'll have to close. Thank you for understanding!"

Are they able to do the therapy in your home during daycare hours? I've had numerous kids have their therapy done here while I did daycare. (both my kids and dcks) That would help a ton with having to take time off...
Unregistered 12:29 PM 03-05-2014
I'm not sure. It's all the evaluations and screenings that I have to get through first.
TwinKristi 12:53 PM 03-05-2014
Originally Posted by butterfly:

Are they able to do the therapy in your home during daycare hours? I've had numerous kids have their therapy done here while I did daycare. (both my kids and dcks) That would help a ton with having to take time off...
This!! One of my DCBs gets services in my home sometimes. Usually at his home but sometimes here.
cheerfuldom 01:20 PM 03-05-2014
I would tell them nothing yet. Address each appt. as it comes. Perhaps you have a spouse, relative or friend that can take your child to appointments and ask that the therapist keep you updated by phone. meanwhile, get your assistant thru the training to sub as soon as possible. you dont know for sure if this will be a problem or how much of an issue it will be. no sense having the parents panic. they can't prepare for anything now since you have no idea the time commitment this will take. I would just leave it alone for now until you have to tell them. I never tell parents about a problem until I am ready with a solution so they see that I have it covered and am doing my best to keep it from being an inconvenience for them. and yes, I have a special needs child as well so I understand the scenario.
Sunchimes 01:43 PM 03-05-2014
If he's under 3, check with Early Childhood Intervention in your state. I have 3 kids here receiving services. All of our therapists work within my routine and are so wonderful. I have two with feeding issues and one with Dev delays. They teach me what to do, answer questions, and will even come at mealtime to help me. Of course, if he is over 3, he has aged out of ECI and would need to go through the school in which case just ignore me. I am a therapeutic home care center, so feel free to message me if I can answer questions.
jenn 03:55 PM 03-05-2014
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I would tell them nothing yet. Address each appt. as it comes. Perhaps you have a spouse, relative or friend that can take your child to appointments and ask that the therapist keep you updated by phone. meanwhile, get your assistant thru the training to sub as soon as possible. you dont know for sure if this will be a problem or how much of an issue it will be. no sense having the parents panic. they can't prepare for anything now since you have no idea the time commitment this will take. I would just leave it alone for now until you have to tell them. I never tell parents about a problem until I am ready with a solution so they see that I have it covered and am doing my best to keep it from being an inconvenience for them. and yes, I have a special needs child as well so I understand the scenario.

I agree. I would not tell them much right now.

I am so sorry that you are going through this. My daughter has medical issues. In my experience, I hate idea of my child being diagnosed with anything, but those agonizing days/months of waiting for appointments and diagnosis can be almost worse. You will be in my prayers.

As for daycare, I would not focus on informing the parents until you have your "plan of attack" made. In my state, it is legal for me to leave a trained sub in charge for several hours for me take my daughter to appointments. I actually have 3 subs. One is a neighbor and is my primary sub, one backup is actually a former daycare parent, and the other one is my husband. By having multiple subs, I can always get an appointment time covered. My husband prefers to go to the appointments, but if need be, he can stay and watch the kids. Once your "plan of attack" is made, inform the parents.
"Due to medical issues with my son, there will be times that I will be out of the daycare in order to take him to appointments. I will have a trained/licensed sub in charge during those times. Thanks for your understanding."
You are under no obligation to explain the medical issues or types of appointments unless you feel comfortable doing so.

I messed up by being overly apologetic and letting the parents get out of paying since I would not be there providing care, even though I had a sub. I was a newbie and very stressed. I now make sure they understand that I will let them know about appointments when I can, but some are made spur of the moment. They have the option to not come on those days, but they still pay for the day as I am open.
Unregistered 05:25 PM 03-05-2014
I'm in Kansas as well. I just haven't had any luck finding someone who has the training. I'm feeling a little calmer since I've had some time to think about it. I've called to make all the appointments and they are so far apart they probably won't even notice for a while. He is over 3 so we will be going through the school district.
Sunchimes 05:40 PM 03-05-2014
I'm sorry that you are dealing with this. I know it's frightening. If it's any comfort, amazing things can happen with therapy. I've seen my dcb with severe delays make huge strides. We have a long way to go, but almost every day brings another step forward. Even my DCB with eating issues has gone from a diagnosis of eating blended foods the rest of his life to eating almost everything the others do, thanks to his OT and a brave mom. I hope for the same happy outcomes for you guys.
bloominggenius 07:48 PM 03-05-2014
Your daycare parents do not need to know about your child's condition. You have some time to get a helper lined up or to divide up the visits with hubby and grandma.
Your child has a right to medical privacy. His condition is none of their business. Unfortunately, parents always think they have a right to know why we need time off. They don't. You are entitled to some personal time for whatever reason just like they are. It is against the law for their employer to ask them why they need to see a doctor.
In addition, small minded parents will immediately assume if your child has special needs, their child won't get special enough attention. They will begin worrying you will neglect their child to care for yours. They may also be squeamish and worry their child may get sick being around yours.
Protect your child's privacy. Take each appointment as it comes and feel free to lie and tell the parents you are taking continuing education to keep you license up. Then take an online class and print the certificate. They don't need to know it was an online class. You have a right to some personal time, as long as it is not a crazy amount.
Angelsj 04:00 AM 03-06-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I'm not sure. It's all the evaluations and screenings that I have to get through first.
I would ask them to come as well to your home. I have been through many a screening on my own or dcks here at my home. In the middle of a group of them right now, actually, and all the screeners have come here.
Reply Up